Looking to buy iMac - But Are They Soon Due For An Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Connecticut, Apr 3, 2007.

  1. Connecticut macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2007
    #1
    So I'm looking to buy an iMac for my audio career. I attend Full Sail for Recording Arts, I know I want to get an iMac but people are saying the last release date of the iMac was in Sept. 06' - they also say Apple updates these machines on an average of 168 days and that they are over due for an update by about 50 days or so.
    ( http://guides.macrumors.com/iMac_Buyer's_Guide )

    I dont want to buy an iMac and two days later the new iMac's come out on steriods. Does anybody have any idea on when this might happen or heard anything?

    The only thing I can think of is they are gonna release it with the new Leopard OS, so that might be the dealy?

    What do you guys have to say about this?
     
  2. rogersmj macrumors 68020

    rogersmj

    Joined:
    Sep 10, 2006
    Location:
    Indianapolis, IN
    #2
    http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

    Woops you saw that ;) ...yeah I think they'll be updated soon. Not major hardware update though...there's nothing to update it to yet, they're already using Intel's latest. But this summer Santa Rosa will come out, and I expect we'll see a completely new iMac design with Santa Rosa.
     
  3. Connecticut thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2007
    #3
    yea i guess i should just be patient - do you think like a couple months or sometime in the 4th quarter?
     
  4. Zwhaler macrumors 603

    Zwhaler

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2006
    #4
    I expect an iMac refresh at WWDC or sometime after, but they definetely won't be "on steroids" the fastest processor available will see a 0.07Ghz bump... and there will be some robson techology. This update isn't really worth waiting forever for, so buy whenever you feel you need an iMac the most. There will be nothing until May 9th, though. Anytime after that we can expect to maybe see an update. my guess is june-july.
     
  5. macjay macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2003
    #5
    Huh? There was a rumor recently that the next revision iMacs are going to be majorly revised and much sleeker. Definitely wait if you can.
     
  6. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

    eRondeau

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2004
    Location:
    Canada's South Coast
  7. miloblithe macrumors 68020

    miloblithe

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2003
    Location:
    Washington, DC
    #7
    I think this is the most important reason to wait. Sure you can upgrade to Leopard later, but waiting will save you roughly $200 if it saves you from buying the next version of iLife and Leopard.

    On the other hand, if you want to get started, you can buy now and wait to upgrade the OS until a few kinks have been worked out.
     
  8. tristan macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2003
    Location:
    high-rise in beautiful bethesda
    #8
    I know the updates overdue, but what does Intel have that's ready to go? It's not like the CPUs in the iMac are lagging. I can't think of what an update would actually be. Any ideas?
     
  9. belovedmonster macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 11, 2005
    #9
    From the sounds of ithese posts you would think that the intel processor was the only part inside an iMac. You know they could increase screen sizes, they could include better graphics, they could drop the crappy combo drive from the bottom model, they could do a whole number of things.

    Along side hardware there is also the issue of software. Unless you are desperate for a computer now you would be a fool not to wait until the new operating system comes out, especially since it will also bring the newest update to iLife with it.
     
  10. Captain Planet macrumors 6502a

    Captain Planet

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2007
    Location:
    Canada
    #10
    Well, if you need it now, you might as well go ahead and buy it. The only reason that'd be worth to wait is for Leopard, so you won't need to buy it seperately when is comes out. If you absolutely want to wait, you'll be waiting until June, maybe July...or at least that's what I think.
     
  11. Connecticut thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2007
    #11
    thanks for all the advice guys....im thinking maybe they might come equipped with an Intel Quad-Processor...that'd be nice - but any how I'm def. gonna be patient and wait not...I just wonder how long.:confused:
     

Share This Page