looking to buy LaCie d2 external HD...noisy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Souljas, Oct 18, 2005.

1. Souljas macrumors regular

Hi, im looking to buy a LaCie d2 Hard Drive Extreme with Triple Interface 160gb. Just a quick question to anyone who has one, how quite are they, and do they have a fan on them? Ive heard my mated Maxtor External HD and the fan on that was tooo noisy for me!
    thanks
    Soul

2. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I've used one, and found them to be very quiet. I have the 250GB Porsche LaCie drive, and it's almost completely silent.

3. Souljas thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the quick reply!, does it have a fan?

4. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    In a quiet room, you can hear it humming slightly but I wouldn't go so far to say that it's noisy.

5. chucknorris macrumors 6502a

chucknorris

I have the exact hard drive described above.

It is silent 99% of the time, which makes it alarming when it does buzz a little.

All and all, I am very happy. Transferring files to my girlfriend's PowerBook over FireWire 800 is a giddy pleasure.

6. wattage macrumors 6502

wattage

I use a Lacie 150 gig HD chained through my Lacie D2 DL DVD-R/RW, anyway it is extremely quiet. I only hear a little ticking when it is working real hard. Love Lacie!!

7. ipacmm macrumors 65816

ipacmm

I have that same HD and it is very quiet, it is a little noisy if you are putting a lot of data on it, but it is usually very quiet even through it is in the same room as my Xserve's.

8. Souljas thread starter macrumors regular

cheers guys, seems like alot of positive feedback about the drive, imma go ahead and buy it

thanks Soul

9. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

There is no fan.

I've got one, I love it! There is no fan. It keeps cool by radiating heat out through the case. However in my experience, it barely gets even warm to the touch. The heat issue is not a concern. As far as other operational noise, it makes little "chirping" sounds when it accesses different tracks on the disk. Otherwise its motor is very quiet, it won't bother you a bit. The blue power light is quite bright though, and will tend to light up a darkened bedroom. BTW, as I've posted before, the FW800 portion is a "pass-thru" for the FW400 -- so if you're using it with a FW400 interface, you can buy a plug adapter and use the FW800 socket too.

10. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i have the 250 gig, and its a little noisy when their is dead silence in the room but if their is music or tv you can't hear it

11. joshwest macrumors 65816

joshwest

i agree i have owned the 250 lacie d2 and they are nice drives but they do have a little noise to them. mac authroity in nashville turned me on to these new hardrives they are carrying they are called rocstor (rocstor.com) they are extremly quiet I purchased a 300gig one and belive me my ipod when loading makes more noise than this thing you can barly hear it, even when you put your ear close to it. I highly recomend it and they are excellent prices i picked up a new 300gig for 249$ and it also comes with a free carrying case. Made really wwell also i might add