Looking to buy new laptop

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by KatOuz, Mar 13, 2004.

1. KatOuz macrumors newbie

I've had my iBook dual USB 12" 500mHz 256 MB of RAM since June 2001, and the old fella's getting a bit rusty. I've taken it to school for note purposes every day for the last 2 years, surfed the the net and *cough* ripped and downloaded music*cough* (I have a 15gig iPod) for upwards of 2 hours everynight, done a smattering of web design, watched many DVDS, and done a lot of quasi-amateur video, image and sound editing. In other words, I use my computer A LOT, and for range of purposes.

Anyway, I've been getting quite fed up with the lack of speed and general technical prowess on this puppy as of late. I wanted to look into buying Final Cut, as well as Garage Band, only to find out they wouldn't quite work.

So yeah, looking for a new laptop to buy. I want to be able to to all the stuff listed in the paragraphs above at a decent speed, and I think I want a bigger monitor--I always feel cramped on the iBook.

And i'm a college student, albeit one who will recoup some money from the sale of her old iBook, who has a smallish university discount from apple.ca (anyone know where i can find better student discounts?), and who has parents willing to foot a portion of the bill.

So. Help please? I'd also really like to buy it sooner rather that later.

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Well, it sounds to me like a 15" PB w/ 5400rpm HDD & as much RAM as possible would be suite your needs if you can stretch to it. But, I wouldn't buy now (look at the buyers guide), these things are due an update...that is if Apple ever get up of their arse and update anything :rolleyes:

3. xeriminox macrumors newbie

xeriminox

I understand it would be the same size, but I have a 12" G4 iBook 800/640/30/AE available if you are interested. It is only a couple of weeks old, and I will certainly beat apples Student discount price for such a unit. Let me know if your interested. Xeriminox@hotmail.com

Thanks