Looking to buy RAM

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Loft, Oct 31, 2004.

1. Loft macrumors newbie

Oct 17, 2004
    hi fellow mac users! i just wanted to ask whether buying a 1GB ram for my powerbook is a good investment? i currently only have 256MB. i only use my PB for school n enteratainment purposes (movies, internet,etc). i think that OWC has a good deal with the 512MB but i want to maximize the 1 slot provided by the powerbook. will the 512MB be sufficient? will there be a significant price drop within the next month or so for the 1GB sticks? i also saw a 1GB stick being sold in outpost.com for $179. was just wondering if you can give me advice, i really dont want to spend too much money on ram since i'm low in funds heheh. thanks!
  2. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

Sep 13, 2002
    Bristol, UK
    If by entertainment you mean watching movies and the internet, then adding just a 512 MB to your 256, will be more than sufficient. I don't think you will see much benefit adding more RAM.
  3. paxtonandrew macrumors 6502

May 10, 2004
    I Come From A Land Down Under
    I have 1.25 gigs in my PowerBook, and the speed advantage is large. I was only using 256 until about a month ago, and with the extra ram, I feel the computer is capable of anything. If you are using the computer for school, and not doing anything processor intensive, like iDvd or Garage Band, 512 or 768 will be plenty.

If buying Ram, don't buy anything expensive, I am using generic ram, and it works perfectly, and I have bed mouthed Generic ram before on this forum!