Looking to Buy

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cschaeffer, Feb 15, 2007.

1. cschaeffer macrumors newbie

I am looking to purchase my first MAC for my home. I have always used a PC and I am sick of my kids downloading viruses. I am also looking for a more stable operating system than windows. I am looking for anyone who can give me advise on what to buy and any other cmments that will push me over the edge. My wife is a sceptic when it comes down to MAC.

Another reason I am leaning is because I own 4 ipods and love the ease of managing and configuring them.

Any comments will be appreciated.

2. ezzie macrumors 68020

ezzie

well, for starters, what do you use your computer for besides music?

web browsing? gaming? any photo editing? are there any special requirements you have?

a little more information is all we need!

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

It's Mac, MAC is something totally different ;)

And as for what you want, do you want a laptop or desktop?

4. cschaeffer thread starter macrumors newbie

I want a desktop, I use it to search the web, manage pictures. Just basic things, I want to get into some photo and video editing of my kids sports.

5. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

Go for the iMac. It'll be up to you to decide which screen size (the 24" iMac is a beauty though!). Remember to max out the ram if at all possible. I would find and online vendor to get the ram cheeper.

Nuc

6. risc macrumors 68030

risc

For what you want to do a Mac is the perfect computer. As for what to buy? Go buy the 24" iMac with the Nvidia 7600 option, 2 GB RAM, and a HDD as big as you think you'll need. Your wife won't need any convincing once you fire that thing up. :D

7. jordygreen macrumors 6502

jordygreen

i think for basic house hold stuff i think you should be able to deal with a 20" iMac with 2GB Ram.

8. cschaeffer thread starter macrumors newbie

The guy at the Apple Store says that the 1 GB of Ram is Sufficent, being a novice I do not know. Help me in determining.

Also, I want to do some video editing of my kids sports as well as photos. Is thier a program that is recommended.

Thx

9. maccam macrumors 6502a

maccam

10. smueboy macrumors 6502a

smueboy

for the usage you plan 1GB should be fine, but equally, 2GB wouldn't hurt.

The Mac will come with iLife, including iMovie for video editing, iDVD for making DVDs of your vids, and iPhoto for organising and editing the photos. There are other apps that you can also try for these things, but i'd recommend starting with these - they are great and included with the mac.

11. cschaeffer thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I did it. I placed my order at the Online Apple Store.

I ordered a 20inch iMac w/ 2 gb of memory w/ the wirteless keyboard and mouse. I also gfot Final Cut Express and Office for Mac. I am excited, now I have to wit for it to arrive.

Thanks, everyone for thier help.