Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
lol all i wanted to know was how to reboot my hard drive, which i still cant figure out. i put in the os cd and went to utilities, but dont see a restore button

That makes sense, because there isn't a restore button. you just put the disk in and erase and install. The install disk is all you need. You don't have to open any utilities you just press, next, next, agree, next, next, wait............, user name, password, etc.

sickmacdoc

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2008
New Hampshire
lol all i wanted to know was how to reboot my hard drive, which i still cant figure out. i put in the os cd and went to utilities, but dont see a restore button

Fair enough, so let's start this again. I just reread the thread and saw that several answers were given- so lets get back to basics.

You originally said you did not have an OS disk, so which one are you referring to in this message?
Did you start up the computer using this OS disk and the C key?
Did you then go into the menus as the start of the installation process and choose Disk Utilities?
Did you then try to simply erase your drive and then continue with the installation from this disk?

Sorry to ask all these questions but the whole mess was pulled so far from the original that I thought we might best get it back on course to find you a solution.

mo sizzle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2008
well i do have the powermac g5 software install and restore disc. the os is 10.3 AHT version 2.1.1. but when i put it in and hold c it stays on the white page with the grey mac sign. and it starts to rev up real loud like its about to explode or something. and i have a burned copy of the osx tiger but when i put it in and hold c it doesnt do anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.