Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SD-B

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
Hi, thanks for reading.

I have a 13" late 2011 MBP in excellent condition I wish to sell but I really am out of touch and don't have the first idea of what these models would be going for roughly in such good condition>

The battery is good, I took care of it monthly as I never used it a lot nor ever took it out of my home, etc. There aren't any scratches on it, everything works perfectly and so on...

Its stock.
I have never upgraded as I just haven't used it much.

If anyone could help me with judging a good price on it I would really appreciate it as it is just sitting here and has been for 2 months as I haven't had time to look into it, nor really know where to look properly.
I am in Canada so naturally if an American does offer an idea, I would then have to account for that accordingly but with a basic idea of what it would sell for in the USA I could take it from there.
I have looked around Toronto on various sale sites but have only seen 2 to compare to and they are so different in price.

One is asking $900 in *mint* condition which I would say mine is in as well or one is being offered for $500 without a power cord far north of Toronto in a small town, which means they sell lower since people have to travel to it. Personally though I am always a bit suspicious of one being offered without a cord and wonder if its stolen. So i don’t want to underprice it by using it as an example.

I understand Mac 2 Sell and such places are often way off so hoping someone that has had this model might be able to give me an idea of the worth of theirs......

T.I.A.

MacBook Pro "Core i5" 2.4 13" Late 2011 2.4 GHz Core i5 (I5-2435M)

Intro. October 24, 2011
Order MD313LL/A Model A1278 (EMC 2555*)
Family Late 2011 13" ID MacBookPro8,1
RAM 4 GB VRAM 384 MB
Storage 500 GB (5400 RPM) Optical 8X DL "SuperDrive"

iPad Retina

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2013
Toronto
Hi, thanks for reading.

I have a 13" late 2011 MBP in excellent condition I wish to sell but I really am out of touch and don't have the first idea of what these models would be going for roughly in such good condition>

The battery is good, I took care of it monthly as I never used it a lot nor ever took it out of my home, etc. There aren't any scratches on it, everything works perfectly and so on...

Its stock.
I have never upgraded as I just haven't used it much.

If anyone could help me with judging a good price on it I would really appreciate it as it is just sitting here and has been for 2 months as I haven't had time to look into it, nor really know where to look properly.
I am in Canada so naturally if an American does offer an idea, I would then have to account for that accordingly but with a basic idea of what it would sell for in the USA I could take it from there.
I have looked around Toronto on various sale sites but have only seen 2 to compare to and they are so different in price.

One is asking $900 in *mint* condition which I would say mine is in as well or one is being offered for $500 without a power cord far north of Toronto in a small town, which means they sell lower since people have to travel to it. Personally though I am always a bit suspicious of one being offered without a cord and wonder if its stolen. So i don’t want to underprice it by using it as an example.

I understand Mac 2 Sell and such places are often way off so hoping someone that has had this model might be able to give me an idea of the worth of theirs......

T.I.A.

MacBook Pro "Core i5" 2.4 13" Late 2011 2.4 GHz Core i5 (I5-2435M)

Intro. October 24, 2011
Order MD313LL/A Model A1278 (EMC 2555*)
Family Late 2011 13" ID MacBookPro8,1
RAM 4 GB VRAM 384 MB
Storage 500 GB (5400 RPM) Optical 8X DL "SuperDrive"

Hi! I'm also located in the Toronto area. I've sold my mint condition base 13" Mid 2010 MacBook Pro for $500 originally $1249 before taxes, i listed my with everything as new almost, and loaded with software, I originally posted it for $650, and received a bunch of scam texts and emails. You can probably get $620 maybe, also depend on your battery cycle count. Mine had about 659 cycles

Reactions: SD-B

SD-B

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
Thank you. Thats very helpful.

My battery cycles are 176
It was manufactured December 2011

Does that mean my battery cycles are very poor? I only have 176 left? Not sure how that compares to 659?

Looking at Cocout Battery and it says status is good.........?

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
The first question is "how badly do you want to sell it?" The lower the price the quicker the sale. You can check eBay for sold items to get an idea of ballpark prices. In general, serious buyers will check prices on Mac sites so that will frame what they will be willing to pay. I'd start at their price and go form there; you can also see what sites such as Gazelle will pay to give you a floor as well.

179 cycles is not a lot. Current battery specs call for 80% at 300 cycles if I recall correctly so yours is fine.

Also, be careful; there are a lot of scammers who will reply to your ad, offer to pay with checks, and want you to ship the machine. They'll have some story about buying for a relative abroad, needing it right away, etc. Some will just "want to buy your item" in the initial email as they are just phishing for suckers, others may mention it in their initial email. Avoid them because once it's shipped your out the machine and probably got a bogus check as well; even if it is a cashiers check that "clears" in 3 days. In the US, banks release funds before ether check actually clears but most people don't realize that doesn't mean the check is good; the bank is just following US law and will come back for the cash when the check bounces, plus any fees.

My rule is face to face only in a safe public place and bring a friend.

For a Mac or other Apple product, I'd suggest going to an Apple store and get a Genius bar appointment to run a diagnostic. That way the seller knows it's a good machine and you can request cash.

Last edited:
Reactions: SD-B and Command

SD-B

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
Good to hear. I wasn't sure comparing the numbers if 179 was high or low.

In any event, I am not in a hurry to sell it.
I appreciate your advice and its great advice to give to anyone and I will safely handle it.
I have sold items online before and know the number of scammers you have to deal with, asking to ship here or there, etc; etc!
I don’t have time to go to Apple unfortunately.
It’s taken months just to find the time to get around to selling this :(

LAST QUESTION(s) if anyone is willing to answer these:

I have 1.0.9.5 installed on it now.

I originally had Snow Leopard on it and have the CD Pack that i purchased for it way back when that gave me Snow Leopard for 5 licenses, as well as iWork and iLife
That alone was originally…hmm….I cant remember, $229 or some such price?
Obviously not worth anything today but would it be best to offer it with Snow Leopard back on, as well as giving them the 5 pack of SL, iLife/iWork or leave it with OS X 1.0.95? VB

Or do I just reinstall the one that is on it now, but instead of using my name, put in something like “Owner” and save myself from having to
So wondering: Can I just clean it in a way now whereby all of my information is removed and they can just set it up under their own name, or not?

Thanks for everyones help!
Very much appreciated!!

I hate to let it go but never using it now I have the 27" retina iMac :(

z31fanatic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2015
Mukilteo, WA USA
The one who has it listed for $900 is out of touch with reality and is dreaming. The one listed at $500 is what its market value is.
Late 2011 stock models sell for about $500 on eBay (seen a couple end at $550).
I suggest you listing at $600 and go from there. And remember, mint condition or not your machine is still 4 years old. People looking at 4 year old machines do prefer it to be in good condition with a good battery so chances of yours selling will be higher but that doesn't mean that yours should sell above market price just because you think it's in mint condition.

Just my two cents.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Or do I just reinstall the one that is on it now, but instead of using my name, put in something like “Owner” and save myself from having to
So wondering: Can I just clean it in a way now whereby all of my information is removed and they can just set it up under their own name, or not?

I'd just do a clean install of Yosemite with the admin account "New Owner" which they can then change.

As for iLie/iWorks if you gothic with your iMac then It'd ne nice to install it for them on the notebook so they can have licenses as well.
Of course, unless you need the cash, keeping it gives you a nice portable when you don't have the iMac around...

z31fanatic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2015
Mukilteo, WA USA
I originally had Snow Leopard on it and have the CD Pack that i purchased for it way back when that gave me Snow Leopard for 5 licenses, as well as iWork and iLife
That alone was originally…hmm….I cant remember, $229 or some such price?
Obviously not worth anything today but would it be best to offer it with Snow Leopard back on, as well as giving them the 5 pack of SL, iLife/iWork or leave it with OS X 1.0.95? VB
Don't bother with any of that. I would wipe the drive and install Yosemite for the new owner to try it before they buy it.
Someone smart enough will find out that you can have iWork and iLife on your Mac and not have to pay for them. :D

SD-B

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
Fair enough.
I wasnt planing on posting it higher due to the $900 laptop but thats why I was asking for seeing that threw me right off and I thought perhaps i was going to underprice it but it seems that I was close. I thought it was worth about $600.
Due to all the scammers and those that offer you half price and a whole list of other people to put up with, i like to know exactly what its worth so I dont let a lowballer get it.
Id rather see a student at a good price than someone that just goes around and sends replys to every add on Craigslist offering half of the value. But I needed to be sure of a good price beforehand.

Thanks, Re: Snow Leopard. No, I wasnt planning on charging anyone for it but was just hoping you would all tell me that that would be a great idea saving me any possibility of downloading Yosemite and then having it slow right down and need to then reformat again and put it back to the one i have now, etc.

As for the Americans that suggested $500 being the right price, as "ipad Retina" noted in the first reply, also being from Toronto, its more likely here in Canada that i can price this at around $620-$650 and be prepared to move down a bit.
Due to our dollar difference what would sell for $500 there woudl be a bit more here. It makes up for the price paid in the stores as our prices are always higher than the US----but i was going to take all american suggestions and then convert to the canadian reality.

Thank you very much for all of your answer.
I was just hoping for the easy way out, Snow Leopard, figuring that whoever buys it will likely upgrade to an SSD drive and install their own OS, but I suppose I cant count on that so tomorrow I will do a clean install and upgrade.

Thanks again!!
Very much appreciated~ :)

MushroomMan

macrumors regular
May 31, 2015
Thailand
As others have mentioned, it is a hard one trying to value a used laptop, especially one which is 4 years old. Buyers will likely care about different things too - some may care about what your battery's 'current maximum charge' is on Coconut Battery but others won't. Some will pay extra for RAM / HDD etc. upgrades but others won't.

1. I would follow local auctions on eBay as it is a very, very, simple way to gauge what local sellers are getting for comparable machines.
2. A friend in Australia recently purchased a 2011 13" i7 for AUD$500 (I know a different market)
3. I purchased my 2011 15" for AUD$550 with a dead battery (once again a different market)
4. I followed a lot of local eBay auctions and the 2011 15" were consistently going for anywhere from AUD$550 - $800 with varying specs of course.
5. Without having a clue about the CA/US markets, I would be surprised if many people got any more than US$400 for stock Sandy Bridge i5 13" Machines.
6. I would wipe the HDD and have a fresh OS installed and ready to go

Good luck with the sale, and let us know how you go!

Here are some to watch:
1. http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Macbook-Pro-...084?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c551fddf4 (Currently C$438 with 2.5 days to go)
2. http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Apple-MacBoo...696?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item23539d3f80 (Currently C$184 with 3.5 days to go)
3. http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Apple-MacBoo...087?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43dec47a0f (Currently C$189 with 3.5 days to go)
4. http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Apple-MacBoo...446?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43deb95bce (Currently C$1,516 with 3.5 days to go - this one looks super super dodgy as the price is already the same as a brand new 2015 retina model????)

Last edited:

SD-B

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
Will do and thanks for the links - will check them all out in the morning

Haven't had time to wipe it clean but will do so in a couple of days and then set it up.
I've had tons of experience selling online so that end of it is not an issue.

But i just havent sold one so old and I dont usually sell computers but have a couple of times in the past.
Usally I sell them sooner, 2 years, etc; but i wanted to keep this but I haven't used it in almost a year so figured it was time for it to go

Will let ya all know what i get for it once done :)

Thanks

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
See that first eBay link posted? That's a scam right there, you can tell because the bidding suddenly took a massive jump and ended up at a totally unrealistic price by bidders with no feedback. So you could learn from that.

Either the winning bidder was intending to rip off the seller or it was the seller themself bidding.

z31fanatic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2015
Mukilteo, WA USA
Yeah that happens a lot especially when the seller has less than 5 feedback rating.

The last bid from someone with feedback was at $521 which is right in line with what they sell for.
The two bidders with 0 feedback are probably shills for the seller or are just taking the piss.

SD-B

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
See that first eBay link posted? That's a scam right there, you can tell because the bidding suddenly took a massive jump and ended up at a totally unrealistic price by bidders with no feedback. So you could learn from that.

Either the winning bidder was intending to rip off the seller or it was the seller themself bidding.

Im in Toronto and for that reason have never got into eBay.
I have sold hundreds of different items online but do it through Craigslist or another similar type sales page we have here, Kijijij.
Reason?
We have a .ca version of eBay rather than your American .com. Anything we order from the States, unless mailed in stealth mode, with simple mailing that takes a longer time, will be hit/dinged at the border here with importation tax.

For example, I bought an item for $100 from zagg.com. I mistakenly paid for a better/faster shipping method which then comes via UPS or some such system as opposed to snail mail. I was hit for $42 importation tax that way.
I order weekly from China for vaping gear and there its all sent snail mail unless you pay a $2.50 upgrade called an e-packet. When I do that, from China to Toronto usually takes between 9-13 days which is bearable.
But its the same with amazon. We have a .ca version rather than a .com one so at least when we order from the.ca version, its coming from within Canada, or china but by snail mail so we wont get hit by that tax.
Although we can buy from your .com version of ebay, I find half the time i find something I want, they list it as not shipping to Toronto.
So......for that reason, I personally never got into eBay and use Craigslist etc.
This way, as well its face to face so I don't have to deal with the issues of people not paying.
And i am experienced enough to recognize the low ballers from the first word of their email.

Its a system I am very good at dealing within whereas eBay I wouldn't necessarily know if the person I was dealing with was going to be problematic. On craigslist, I know immediately. I know that system backwards so it works for me.

But if one was listed for $521 in the US as z31fanatic below your post suggests, converted into Canadian dollars suggests i could ask $625 here on this end.
People will always try to point out the american ones, hoping you are naive, suggesting yours should be $521 as well but I am experienced sand that doesn't work with me, although it might with many new to selling online.
Or they love to pull up sales on Amazon on the .com version and give you the first price u see there.
Its easy to run the deal through yourself, add the tax, the hidden shipping, and whatever other costs they have and send them a screenshot of what the full price is, so thats another common low ball tactic they try to use to have you sell yours for lower than its worth.

Anyhow, on that end i am covered but we just didn't have any MBPros of this period selling at that time when I first posted this thread.

Today I must reformat this and get it up for sale. I never use it but i have decided I don't like parting with ANY mac's I own..lol....even if i know realistically I will never use it ;)

Thanks everyone!

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
I
People will always try to point out the american ones, hoping you are naive, suggesting yours should be $521 as well but I am experienced sand that doesn't work with me, although it might with many new to selling online.
Or they love to pull up sales on Amazon on the .com version and give you the first price u see there.
Its easy to run the deal through yourself, add the tax, the hidden shipping, and whatever other costs they have and send them a screenshot of what the full price is, so thats another common low ball tactic they try to use to have you sell yours for lower than its worth.

Whenever someone says"I can get if for less at XYZ" I tell them "Go for it." If I'm asking a fair price and someone wants to lowball me with that I am not interested in making a deal.

Orr

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2013
It's a pretty dated machine and would require additional SSD and RAM upgrades to be serviceable going forward. Can't speak to the Canadian market, but it likely wouldn't fetch more than $400 in the States, and that's assuming everything is in mint condition with a strong battery as you claim. There's just so many better deals for newer refurbished units for people willing to spend a bit more.

SD-B

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
It's a pretty dated machine and would require additional SSD and RAM upgrades to be serviceable going forward. Can't speak to the Canadian market, but it likely wouldn't fetch more than $400 in the States, and that's assuming everything is in mint condition with a strong battery as you claim. There's just so many better deals for newer refurbished units for people willing to spend a bit more.

that will be about $500 here.........thx

SD-B

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
Whenever someone says"I can get if for less at XYZ" I tell them "Go for it." If I'm asking a fair price and someone wants to lowball me with that I am not interested in making a deal.

I'm usually the same.
They are usually just buyers looking to buy something that they can steal.
They aren't necessarily looking for the MBP you might have listed, but whatever they can steal.
Sometimes for re-sale and sometimes for their own needs.

I sell online a lot and I am always astounded at the number of lowballers I get that become very angry when i dont give them what they want.
I've had some pretty abusive people who are used to getting what they want from, i suspect naive sellers and they don't like to be told no.

But once in a while my temper gets the better of me and I just have to run it through Amazon and take a screenshot of the full price and invariably there is often a $30-$50 difference but they claim it has a better deal than you are offering.
I wish no one would give into these people but they do........I often see the same email addresses over and over.
Rarely do they even write full emails anymore but just a number.
If you throw enough crap against a wall, some crap sticks and this is what they are counting on.

Like you, I've heard it all

SD-B

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
Only took me a month...lol
Finally done.
Prices are different here in Canada.
We pay much more in the beginning for them.
JUst to give u an idea of what's for sale here...lol

Macbook Pro 13-inch 2009 8GB Ram SSD $600

For sale is an used Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Core 2 Duo. New logic board was installed on applecare 1.5 years ago (this gives it a longer lifespan).
Upgraded to MAX Ram of 8GB
Upgraded to 256GB Samsung 840 SSD (http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-256GB-2-5-Inch-Internal-MZ-7KE256BW/dp/B00LMXBOP4)

NO superdrive (You can buy a hd caddy and add another hard drive if you want)
Battery lasts about 45mins
Power adapter is in rough shape (look at pictures)
No rubber feet on bottom *see picture* (can be bought on amazon for 6 bucks)
Mavericks is installed
Adobe CS6
Word 2011

I have looked at the same models selling on CL and nobody is selling with 8GB ram and an SSD. This give this computer a quick boot and allows for more applications to run at the same time.

**lowballs ignored
**price is firm but will consider reasonable offers

OMG but it's the pictures he shows with his....lol

dr8ebt.jpg

317b7s2.jpg

nfseh1.jpg

4t9jl3.jpg

Macbook Pro 15-Inch (MID-2009) $1000

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2009) - $1000
2.66 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB Ram
256 GB Kingston HyperX SSD
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB dedicated video card

Surprised he could ask $1000 for a 2009 MBB despite it being in good condition and 15-inch.
By comparison, I should be asking at least $2k LMao

Thats frightening.
Glad I am not out there having to buy a second hand MBP

289lwzl.jpg

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
I'm usually the same.
They are usually just buyers looking to buy something that they can steal.
They aren't necessarily looking for the MBP you might have listed, but whatever they can steal.
Sometimes for re-sale and sometimes for their own needs.

I sell online a lot and I am always astounded at the number of lowballers I get that become very angry when i dont give them what they want.
I've had some pretty abusive people who are used to getting what they want from, i suspect naive sellers and they don't like to be told no.

But once in a while my temper gets the better of me and I just have to run it through Amazon and take a screenshot of the full price and invariably there is often a $30-$50 difference but they claim it has a better deal than you are offering.
I wish no one would give into these people but they do........I often see the same email addresses over and over.
Rarely do they even write full emails anymore but just a number.
If you throw enough crap against a wall, some crap sticks and this is what they are counting on.

Like you, I've heard it all

I generally have no problem with someone low balling. I've made low ball offers saying "I realize you want more but if you don' sell it and still want to let me know..." It just depends how bad I want something, and I am happy to take such an offer as well. If they get angry their future emails go straight to /dev/null.

Some people regularly low ball. A friend of mine in the auto salvage yard business makes a bid on every car in the auction, even ones that are not ones he typically buys. For ones he wants, he makes a realistic offer. the other he low balls knowing if he gets it he can still make money off of it. In my neighborhood there's "Low Ball John" who realtors know will make allow ball bid on every house that comes on the market. If they are professional about it I view it as just business. When someone starts in on reasons I must accept their offer I give them a polite FU brushoff.

SD-B

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
Asked $650....Got $600 and sold within one hour. Could have held out for $650 but liked the young girl buying it so I didn't mind giving her a bit of a break.

Found out afterwards, up north of Toronto, people ask up to $900 for the same machines....Personally I think thats a rip of and couldn't bring myself to do that. It was apparent that this really was a young person that needed this, not a dealer just looking to resell and make a profit
Maybe I could have got $700?
Who Knows but i was happy with what i got, a young university student was happy with her first ever Macbook, so it all worked out well as far as i am concerned.

Thanks for everyones help but as you see, we can ask more up here in Canada than the prices you are used to in the US.
We pay a higher price up front.
But mine, also from late 2011, was manufactured on Dec 26, 2011, purchased in January 2012 and I onlu used it up to December 2014. It was in unusually good condition for a MBP. But i can only use one computer at a time and alreayd have another late 2009 MBP which is too old to sell but with a new SSD drive one i can still use for brief browsing or more so, for an entertainment center, hooked into the TV, etc.

For any other Canadians that might be trying to judge their prices, I sold mine today for $600. I did ask $650 and figured I would likely get $600 or maybe even $625 but would have been fine with $600.

I posted at midnight and woke up to 3 people.
The first 1 wanted my phone number.
I dont give my number out. I have learned from experience, that with a good item such as a MBP, those who just want you to call them, play a numbers game and sent out 50 emails per night asking the same in each email.
All they want to do is offer you an insultingly low price, as there will be the odd person here and there that wont know any better and will say yes. If so they will jump over to your place within 20 mins and scoop it up before you have time to change your mind. Often they will then resell it for more.
As soon as I do get people asking for my phone number, I very politely tell them that i don't hand it out until I have a set appointment with a prospective buyer and do also mention that my price is either firm, OR, I am willing to negotiate a tiny bit but only within 5% of the asking price. Hopefully are you won't hear from that person again...lol.

I've sold so much online, I can usually tell from the first two words, or even a simple Hello, if it is a buyer, a scammer or just someone bored who just needs someone to talk to on email and try to weed those all out as soon as possible.

I did receive a prospective buyer on the 2nd email and knew right away she was going to be the one. She had to get her father to drive an hour into the city and an hour back home for it. He offered me $600 and said he'd take it on the spot if so, providing it was as I advertised it which of course it was.

In any event, I could likely have held out for another $50 but this way it went right away, I didn't have to deal with scads of scammers.
I received a 2nd email from someone else wanting to know if I still had it and when I replied that i did, before getting the 3rd email 20 mins later, I was hit with the typical story of how he would like it but would like it shipped to his GF'S address, that he'd pay by Paypal, etc and i didn't waste my time.

So the first person to purchase it was the young girl who had sent her father to check it out. He and his wife were Apple users and so I was fine accepting $600 even though technically, I knew I was likely leaving a bit off of the table but this way, the young girl was happy and most importantly, for me, it was sold.....and I didn't have to deal with numerous stories, lowballers or scammers.

Yes THIS was long. I just typed a full explanation so if there were any other Canadians looking for an idea of price, this might help.

Thanks all!

SD-B

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
I generally have no problem with someone low balling. I've made low ball offers saying "I realize you want more but if you don' sell it and still want to let me know..." It just depends how bad I want something, and I am happy to take such an offer as well. If they get angry their future emails go straight to /dev/null.

Some people regularly low ball. A friend of mine in the auto salvage yard business makes a bid on every car in the auction, even ones that are not ones he typically buys. For ones he wants, he makes a realistic offer. the other he low balls knowing if he gets it he can still make money off of it. In my neighborhood there's "Low Ball John" who realtors know will make allow ball bid on every house that comes on the market. If they are professional about it I view it as just business. When someone starts in on reasons I must accept their offer I give them a polite FU brushoff.

I sell professionally on the web.
Not computers but other electronics and other items but I deal with about 5 per day.
After a while I get REALLY tired of seeing the same email addresses pop in with ridiculously lowballed items.

It doesn't bother me for i know what I am doing, but it makes me angry to think of all the innocent, first time sellers that are taken advantage of by professional low ballers.
Its a profession for many people.
They just sit on their mobile phones with an app, and have tons of keywords that will trigger any new item for sale, or gently used items, macbooks, etc and they just sit and offer prices so low u know they are dealers and will take the item and resell it for double. The poor seller doesn't know what hit them.

Worse than that though, when you sell as much as I have done, there will be at least one low baller per week that becomes very abusive when I refuse to sell them the item at the price they lowball.
I can nicely say something to the effect of, "sorry, not interested, thanks for your interest nonetheless" and I will be hit with an email that borders on threatening due to its immense abuse and/or vulgarity used.

No doubt these lowballers likely lose 99% of what they offer but are looking for that one great deal they can pick up at a steal and like anyone, they get tired of the rejection, I suppose and at some point then take it out on the person they are trying to steal from.
I have had them turn into actual trolls where they just won't take a polite no for an answer and will send one email after another after another after another not only abusive, but will still try every trick and the more you refuse, the angrier they become. Its a very small minority of course but when you sell a lot, that small minority still becomes stressful to have to deal with.
Lets say I am asking $150 for an item. The worst ones are the ones that will send back an email and tell me that the same item can be found on Amazon for $75 therefore they will offer $50. Every time they do that, I know already that they are quoting a price on Amazon dot com, not amazon dot ca for canada, whereby the price is always different due to our exchange rate. Secondly, it will never be the main price at the top of the page but will be one of the ones offered as an alternative and if one looks closer, it will say NO SHIPPING TO CANADA...lol......and of course even if it shippable, they never quote the tax and shipping cost b ut if they were too, often it will come out to a bit more than what i am asking anyhow...and when you say no, thank you, they will come back and tell you you are selling a P.O.S anyhow and to stick it up......and so on and so forth.
So lowballing from one person that is just trying to save $20 for himself is one thing...dealing with professional lowballers 2-3x a day is enough to really make you detest the human race after a awhile :)

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
I sell professionally on the web.
Not computers but other electronics and other items but I deal with about 5 per day.
After a while I get REALLY tired of seeing the same email addresses pop in with ridiculously lowballed items.

I can appreciate your frustration. One question: Why not just send the repeat lowballed's email and the abusive ones straight to junk mail? That way, yo u never see them and they can send them all day without wasting your time.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
But i can only use one computer at a time and alreayd have another late 2009 MBP which is too old to sell but with a new SSD drive one i can still use for brief browsing or more so, for an entertainment center, hooked into the TV, etc.

I just sold a 2009 17" MacBook Pro 2.8GHz with a 500GB hard drive and 8GB RAM for $600. It was in really great condition, it sold within a few hours of posting the ad. Why do you think your 2009 MacBook Pro is too old to sell?

Last edited:

SD-B

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
I can appreciate your frustration. One question: Why not just send the repeat lowballed's email and the abusive ones straight to junk mail? That way, yo u never see them and they can send them all day without wasting your time.

Because I have managed to turn the odd one around before. There are some people out there that are new to buying this way and have been told to negotiate for a low price. Ive managed to turn a few into good purchases.
IF its someone that I know without a doubt is just a professional lowballer and not worth wasting my time, then yes, I will devise a rule in which all future emails from him are deleted and don't even see my inbox.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.