Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The.316

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
25100 GR
I have a Samsung FULLHD TV now for 4 years, but Im looking to get into the 4k market. I dont have THAT much to spend at the moment, so Im looking at some TVs around 600€. I love my Samsung, but looking at the latest LGs, it seems that they are right there with Samsung. It looks like their Web OS 3.0 is better than what Samsung has to offer, and their picture quality has improved from an LG I had a few years ago, which I ended up giving back for the Samsung I currently have.

This is what Im actually looking at:
Screen Shot 2016-08-09 at 8.10.54 PM.png

It seems to be a good deal, price wise, plus it gives a HD with it as a bonus. I was looking at a different model, which was the 43UH610V I believe, at 529€, w/out the hard drive. The difference between the two is that the 650 model is quad core, while the other one is dual core, and this one has a nicer metal finish. I just am not too sure about LG. Ive kinda settled on this 650V model, but Ive been happy with Samsung in the past, and that is all we have. It just seems that LG has stepped up their 4k game more than Samsung has, at least in this price range.

Also, the only 4k content that I get here in Greece at the moment is from Netflix, so Im upgrading more for the Smart TV option, plus the 4k upscaling. Im going to end up getting the updated PS4 system when it comes out, as well as its VR device.

Thoughts?

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Since this really isn't a TV forum as much as a computer one, you might get a more detailed answer over on a web site like AV Forums?

But just from personal experience? I'd avoid anything Samsung if possible. The frustrating thing is, Samsung makes a lot of TVs with great specs and attractive prices, so they'll usually come out somewhere near the top of ratings when you research them. But that's not the entire story.

I purchased a new Samsung 50" plasma TV a few years ago, and it was a nightmare. The screen developed a hairline crack that quickly expanded and ruined the display, after only 6 months or so of ownership. They refused to honor any warranty on it, claiming a cracked screen had to be the result of mishandling on our part. In reality, it wasn't.... We just came home from work and found it cracked, and it hadn't fallen over or anything. After researching online, I found hundreds of similar complaints about the same model of TV. There was even a class action lawsuit forming in one state over it. Apparently, expansion and contraction from heating and cooling cycles when turning the TV on and off caused the very thin glass to get stressed and crack.

More recently, I gave Samsung another chance with an LCD HD TV, since I realize plasma was a totally different technology. With this set, we've had issues with the digital audio output and sound-bars. (The sound bar I use memorizes the volume up/down commands from the TV remote control and responds to them. Nice setup EXCEPT Samsung has stupid firmware in the TV that flashes a big error message on the screen every time it sees you trying to adjust its volume while an external audio source is attached! There's no way to turn this off and it's extremely distracting.) And in all the time we've had this TV, Samsung has never released a firmware update for it on their web support page. Makes me question how much they care about any of their televisions after the initial sale. They release new models at least annually ... so can you expect their "Smart TVs" to get proper and timely updates if services they use online change? By contrast, an older Philips HDTV I used to own had 5 or 6 firmware updates released for it.

I have a Samsung FULLHD TV now for 4 years, but Im looking to get into the 4k market. I dont have THAT much to spend at the moment, so Im looking at some TVs around 600€. I love my Samsung, but looking at the latest LGs, it seems that they are right there with Samsung. It looks like their Web OS 3.0 is better than what Samsung has to offer, and their picture quality has improved from an LG I had a few years ago, which I ended up giving back for the Samsung I currently have.

View attachment 644144

It seems to be a good deal, price wise, plus it gives a HD with it as a bonus. I was looking at a different model, which was the 43UH610V I believe, at 529€, w/out the hard drive. The difference between the two is that the 650 model is quad core, while the other one is dual core, and this one has a nicer metal finish. I just am not too sure about LG. Ive kinda settled on this 650V model, but Ive been happy with Samsung in the past, and that is all we have. It just seems that LG has stepped up their 4k game more than Samsung has, at least in this price range.

Also, the only 4k content that I get here in Greece at the moment is from Netflix, so Im upgrading more for the Smart TV option, plus the 4k upscaling. Im going to end up getting the updated PS4 system when it comes out, as well as its VR device.

Thoughts?

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
If you don't have much to spend, at least look at Philips. They often have some very cheap deals on good sized 4K TVs. Someone in the family has one and it seems good (they got a 43" 6 months ago for about half what you are paying).

The.316

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
25100 GR
ku6000-i_1.png

Ended up going with this 50" beast. I was going to the store, set on purchasing the LG model, but this one was on sale for 50€ more. The colors looked better than the LG, and I figured since I have a Samsung sound bar already, I might as well go with the Samsung. Plus, I would have been extremely disappointed if I went with the 43" model, because the 50" size definitely fit fine.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
I hope you enjoy your new TV. However, I suggest not basing a decision on how the colour look in a shop. Settings are often at unrealistic levels to compete with other sets in the store. This setting is often called Vivid or something similar, and bears no resemblance to how it will be viewed in the home. Also, it isn't unknown for TV's to be set up based on which manufacturers are giving the biggest bonus deals to the sales staff.

The.316

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
25100 GR
I hope you enjoy your new TV. However, I suggest not basing a decision on how the colour look in a shop. Settings are often at unrealistic levels to compete with other sets in the store. This setting is often called Vivid or something similar, and bears no resemblance to how it will be viewed in the home. Also, it isn't unknown for TV's to be set up based on which manufacturers are giving the biggest bonus deals to the sales staff.

You know, my first big TV purchase (40+ inches/LED) was an LG model about 3 years ago. It was nice, but I decided after a bit to go with a Samsung model that looked better in my eyes, and Im glad I switched. For some reason, I see LG as the inferior brand, compared to Samsung. I dont know what it is, I just feel that Samsung's picture was a bit better.

I really was ready to go with the LG. I compared the price of the LG model to other stores in the Athens area, and they were all within a few euros of each other. I then asked the salesman his opinion, what he would get within the same price range, and he showed me the Samsung. The store he works for doesnt pay commissions, so I was expecting an honest answer. I was very happy with the Samsung, but I was stuck on whether I wanted to go with the 50" size. I ended up going to the register, ready to pay for the smaller LG, but I kept pacing around, thinking about what to do. In the end, I went with the Samsung, obviously. It wasnt only the picture quality, to me, that sold me. Like I said earlier, my sound bar is Samsung. The LG tv was silver in the front, and with my soundbar being black, I thought it would clash. As would the tv saying LG on the front, and the soundbar saying Samsung on it. Im a bit a whacko regarding things like that lol.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
You know, my first big TV purchase (40+ inches/LED) was an LG model about 3 years ago. It was nice, but I decided after a bit to go with a Samsung model that looked better in my eyes, and Im glad I switched. For some reason, I see LG as the inferior brand, compared to Samsung. I dont know what it is, I just feel that Samsung's picture was a bit better.

I really was ready to go with the LG. I compared the price of the LG model to other stores in the Athens area, and they were all within a few euros of each other. I then asked the salesman his opinion, what he would get within the same price range, and he showed me the Samsung. The store he works for doesnt pay commissions, so I was expecting an honest answer. I was very happy with the Samsung, but I was stuck on whether I wanted to go with the 50" size. I ended up going to the register, ready to pay for the smaller LG, but I kept pacing around, thinking about what to do. In the end, I went with the Samsung, obviously. It wasnt only the picture quality, to me, that sold me. Like I said earlier, my sound bar is Samsung. The LG tv was silver in the front, and with my soundbar being black, I thought it would clash. As would the tv saying LG on the front, and the soundbar saying Samsung on it. Im a bit a whacko regarding things like that lol.

Going for a TV of the same make as the soundbar is not whacko. Sometimes you will get features that only with that manufacturer, or only work reliably. Using the TV remote to control the soundbar volume for example.

However, I still stand by what I said about the picture quality. It depends on how they are set up. I can always remember helping my Mum look for a TV. A family member had recommended a Panasonic plasma they had bought. Mum was put off by it being far too dim and had bland colours. Luckily the remote control had been left around. The settings had been turned right down. Quick adjustments transformed the image.

By the way, the first thing you should do with a new TV is turn off every picture processing feature you can (not being able to turn them all off on many models is one of the reasons I prefer Sony and Panasonic over Samsung or LG). Turn them on one by one and see if they improve or degrade the picture (edge sharpening tends to reduce detail for example). You might well end up turning most off again.

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
Back in 2010, I spent over $2000 on a high end Samsung 55" TV. After using it for about 3 years, one of the layers of the LED panel itself started separating from the other layers and appeared as dark cloudy patches when watching TV. Of course, by this point, warranty was over and repairing would have cost me more than a new TV.

I ended up replacing it with a high end LG. This TV is still going strong today.

Last year, I also had a Samsung laser printer die on me. I never even printed enough to replace the toner and it started developing problems in the form of smudged prints that progressively got worse. I no longer have any faith in Samsung products and their quality. I feel that their stuff is not built with longevity in mind.

Reactions: kiwipeso1

tjwilliams25

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2014
Montana
Both are good brands. Of course, each have their pros and cons, but I would say as a whole each are solid brands. They are both manufacturers of the LCD screens that they use and most of the components, so their build quality is usually better than the budget brands that buy the components at rock-bottom prices and slap them in a plastic case (i.e. Vizio). That being said, I would say the best choice really comes with whatever you're looking for in your TV, whether it be a better picture with a crippled Smart TV, or a pretty good TV with an awesome Smart TV. I've used both brands and I prefer the WebOS Smart TV that LG offers over Samsung. I just recently upgraded my set from a Samsung to an LG, and I couldn't be happier. I would say that when it comes to budget 4k, LG blows away the competition. Samsung makes incredible higher-end TVs, but they always seem to skimp when it comes to their sub-$1000 sets.

Also, when it comes to picture quality, never compare in the store. I set up TVs in a store for almost 7 years, and I can tell you that the built-in presets are usually absolute garbage. Follow the whitesheet specs and compare from there, not visually, as everything is adjustable.

kiwipeso1

Suspended
Sep 17, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand

View attachment 644144

Thoughts?

Get a sony android 4k with 3D. Load up plex on it and vlc. Get the 3D glasses. Bingo. It can use the HDD to record or watch, as well as it has a better networking experience on either ethernet or wifi.
Plus, it can handle games on google play, and you can hook up the logitech wireless controllers for the games.
You can also get a bluetooth keyboard or logitech wireless keyboard for youtube search, etc.
Plus it has a better interface and a wider range of apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.