looks like apple wont be the first

Discussion in 'iPod' started by beatle888, Dec 4, 2005.

1. beatle888 macrumors 68000

beatle888

Attached Files:

2. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

the controls look impossible for me to use.

too many buttons

but pretty cool.. Hmmm

3. beatle888 thread starter macrumors 68000

beatle888

point is apple offered us the whimpy solution to a personal video device and it bit th em in the butt. this is what the ipod will be like in about 9 months because apple thinks they can give us the very least and make us pay all the way to the fully realized ipod video. oh well.

4. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

nice wide screen....looks nice enough to use.

Bless

5. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Wow someone's bitter... :p ;)

This is nothing new though, Archos has video playback practically a full year IIRC before the video iPod came out.

I'll stick with my iPod thanks, but hey, chacun a son gout. :)

6. beatle888 thread starter macrumors 68000

beatle888

its that obvious? lifes getting the best of me lately :confused: i guess im in a sky is falling mood.

7. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

There's more to owning an iPod than just what it DOES. I mean, how cool does it sound to tell someone "yeah, I've got the new iPod, yeah it plays video"? Better than "Hey, I got a pocket dish." then they go "what's that?" and you explain, and they go, "well my brother got that new video iPod.."

It's an elite club of iPodders. No one cares about any other media player.

8. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

No worries, we all have our rough times in life - was just making light of it, didn't mean to offend or anything... ;)

9. beatle888 thread starter macrumors 68000

beatle888

then i guess cause i dont own an ipod and dont care to (i just bought the video ipod for my girlfriend. im getting the sirius personal music device for myself instead of the ipod) im nobody. i dont care about cool. im over cool. anyway, i just thought it was interesting and figured all you mac fans (like myself) would like to know about this device. your right thought the ipod is cool, but i think this device is cooler for whatever "cool" is worth. Im more interested in features.

10. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

That's a very good point though. A person shouldn't buy a device simply because it's "the thing" to have, and everyone else has it. Sure, I love my iPod, but I would have one whether or not it was so popular. I don't buy things just because they're popular, I buy what will meet my own personal needs and wants. I've never been one myself to blindly go along with the masses "just cuz". :cool:

11. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

20,000 songs... Ha!, whats it encoded at? 64kbps WMA? :rolleyes:

Apple doesn't pull this kind of crap...

@ 599, its too close to a full blown iBook (Even closer with my edu. discount), which can do so much more. (Then of course, this is my opinion)

12. beatle888 thread starter macrumors 68000

beatle888

thanks shard for seeing my point.

and blaskillet seems to make a good one as well. $600 dollars :p yea, i guess apple is trying to do it for less. these are interesting times thats for sure.

my girlfriend cant wait for christmas. i just wish she didnt already know what shes getting. i tried over and over to talk her out of the video ipod but shes hooked. i told her apple will be releasing a wide screen format but she doesnt seem to care...i dont get it :)

13. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

Be nice if the following were true:

Controls were easy to use
    Screen had a wide enough view angle for two people watching side by side (car/plane/bus/train).
    Folders were fully accessible (i.e. no iTunes type app to load stuff onto it - just drag n' drop on both PC & Mac)
    Battery was replaceable (allowing spares for long trips)

14. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

You have to remember though that the 5G iPod is not a video player. It is an MP3 player with the ability to play videos. That thing looks like it is definitely for video first and music second. How many times did Steve Jobs stress this. In my opinion you can't compare this to the iPod because I believe they are completely different devices meant for different things.

15. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

You beat me to my own point. Apple never claimed it had the first portable video player, or even a dedicated video player or all. Apple has a fantastic portable music player with video capability integrated into it. Pocketdish has, IMO, a video player with music capability. To back Blaskillet4 up, I don't think I've ever seen a media device sink low enough advertise song capacity based on 64 kbps encoding (unless they mean 2 minute songs encoded at 128 kbps…), although I'm sure Pocketdish isn't the first.

16. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

"I do not like this word 'bomb'. It is not a bomb. It is a device which is exploding." ;)

17. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Actually, Dell and many other manufacturers use 64kbps WMA w/ 4 minutes average to count songs. Compared to Apple's 128kbps AAC w/ 4 minute average.