Looks like Dell is getting a little Mac envy.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by SuperSnake2012, May 31, 2006.

1. SuperSnake2012 macrumors 6502a

New Dell XPS M2010 starting at $4000.

I'll state the obvious by saying that Dell is overpricing these extremely and they are ripping off the iMac. :rolleyes:

The specs are nearly identical to the 20" iMac besides the graphics (Mobility X1600 vs. Mobility X1800) but this costs 2.5x as much. :eek:

2. mode macrumors member

The remote accessory looks ugly.

It's not a very bad-looking package, but for the hardware its way too expensive, I think.

3. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

It really is about time Dell cut its losses and concentrated on their lovely monitors ;)

*looks dewy-eyed at his 24" monitor*

4. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

5. Copland macrumors regular

Copland

Yes, the machines are very similar, except:
    The Dell is much less good looking.

Also, what's the point of having a folding screen if the machine isn't a laptop? I think Dell is trying to copy the iMac without blatantly copying the design.

6. TsuaSai macrumors 6502

no joke, speaking of which my new dell monitor should be here monday :D

7. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

If it did, Apple would probably sue for copyright infringment.

Maybe Dell seeks to tap into a wider market by concentrating on other farmyard animals?

8. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

I don't like the look of this at all - particularly the whole foldaway to a briefcase thing. Either you want a laptop or you want a desktop - this seems like some horrible hybrid.

9. mattcube64 macrumors 65816

mattcube64

Maybe it'll bark? :eek:

10. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

i thought exactly the same. it's not a real all in one machine either because the base is separated from the monitor. somehow more like a G4 imac. the folding screen make no sense and the base wastes desk space. not a good concept and way too expensive.

11. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Hope not. That'd force many Dell owners into a tough situation as to which stays: the cat or the Dell.

12. Philberttheduck macrumors 6502a

Philberttheduck

I looked at this on Engadget and immidately laughed out loud. They're just desperate now.. I mean, before the LCDs, the Retail Stores, then the "accidental" Mac OS Drivers, now the wannabe iMac killer? Will I be surprised if they create a Dell Mini? This is hillarious and low..

4 thousand BUCKS!? WTF!?

13. kildraik macrumors 6502a

kildraik

I personally think that the "Sophisticated Briefcase" look is rather ugly, and should at least have regular hinges. It just might cut the cost down $1000.;)

14. macsrockmysocks macrumors regular

That thing is so fugly and way overpriced:eek: ....... Who in the world would buy that?

15. milozauckerman macrumors 6502

Didn't they try this once before?

I could swear I remember an all-in-one 'iMac killer' from them around the time the G5 iMacs debuted.

16. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Honestly, I think it's a nifty machine, and I can see gamers shelling out the money for one. It's essentially a powerful gaming desktop with the option of portability, which, if you attend as many LAN parties as some people do, is very handy. Also, the expandability far outstrips the iMac.

People shouldn't assume that every all-in-one is targeting Apple. It's a high-end gaming rig, and they're not even trying to say otherwise.

17. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

More power to them (redux!). I think it's a cute concept (well, I think the keyboard is atrocious, but the rest is reasonably cute). Yes, it's probably overpriced. But then again, who pays list for anything at Dell anyways? :rolleyes: It's good to see them actually try to make something that's not exactly like everything else on the market for their XPS line... so far their XPS hardware has smacked of rebadging in the automotive industry.... :(

18. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

They're joking, right?
    Am I right?
    Anyone?

19. imacintel macrumors 68000

Remember how the eMachines eOne and it was similar to the iMac G3 and how apple sued eMachines....:rolleyes:

20. FragTek macrumors 6502

I think this is a pretty ridiculous machine to be honest. And the price tag, omfgwtfbbq???? How in the hell is that machine worth $4000? Let's be realistic now, that's just completely outrageous. I guess Dell fanboys will buy anything *sigh*

The design and styling of the unit itself seems pretty retarded. It's a cross between a desktop and a laptop which probably weighs 20 lbs. Certainly not portable enough to take with you everywhere like you could with a high end laptop that you could buy for at least $1000 less. I can't wait to see the first person trying to set one of these up on a plane flight, trying to figure out how to fit it on to his little folding table overflowing in to the people next to him.

Wow... this has got to be Dell's worst invention ever. Gotta respect the iSight rip-off, rofl.

21. California macrumors 68040

California

There is something so "80's geek-tech" about Dell. Maybe it's the black. Maybe it's the fact you know it'll be ready for the garbage in a few years. It's not that it's ugly, it is just that Dell's designers don't understand design or the history of industrial design. At Apple, the guys understand and integrate.

22. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

23. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

I think I just Threw up a little in my mouth™

24. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

Well...I guess the Dell is nicer looking than the Sony...

25. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It comes with a TV-tuner but at $1999 and with a lower resolution LCD...

Yes, the iMac was/is cheaper.