Looks like we're going after Somalia now....

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yg17, Jan 8, 2007.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

2. lexus macrumors 68000

lexus

3. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

not always a valid one....

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

now Al-Qaeda is everywhere, thanks to the iraqi war, US need to fight at more places now.

5. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

America didn't start the issues over there. In fact, America pretty much abandoned Somalia and pretty much left it alone until the Somalian warlords got driven from Mogadishu and the subsequent declaration of holy war against the Ethiopians by the new government. So no, we aren't GOING after Somalia, we didn't start it. We're merely helping out by providing a bit of support.

6. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Ben, have you ever read anything about Somalia's history?

7. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

A bit about Somalia's history. I do know that a percentage of Somalians are ethnic Ethiopians. But I definitely wouldn't say that I know everything about Somalia. :eek:

8. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I can't find the particular program on the NPR website, but I recall a few important things from listening.

From what I understood, many of the Somalians supported the Islamist forces, and are against the invasion of Ethiopian troops backed by the US. With the Islamist forces in power, Somalians had hospitals and clinics. Girls were able to attend school and university without the possibility of being attacked and raped.

I had also heard that most Somalians view the Ethiopian intervention as an invasion into their country, and support for the transitional government is weak.

I found the program:

http://www.wamu.org/programs/dr/07/01/04.php#12204

It was the 10:00 show. Very interesting.

9. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

make some fireworks and fire up the (remaining) base before the "iraq surge" speech, i assume you mean.

10. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Rumors suggest that Al-Qaeda was in Somalia before and during the Battle of Mogadishu and might have provided training and support, including the use of RPGs against Blackhawk helicopters, so this may not be anything new per se.

However, I can't understand why we're supporting the Ethiopians in this.

11. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

We have neither the resources nor the credibility though. I wish we could do something, I do (er, something good to help that is), but we really can't now. Even if we wanted to. I also wish we could have done a better job in the 'stans and could be doing something about Darfur. But, you know...

12. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

...according to the BBC,

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/6243459.stm

this is an attack on terror suspects. Currently there are four ships off the coast of Somalia, including an aircraft carrier. The attacks were from an AC-130, which is not a carrier aircraft. So I wonder where the AC-130 came from, and why do we need a carrier to target terrorists?

Cynical side note: is every military action automatically approved once we use the term "terrorist?"

13. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

$$$

14. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Djibouti only US base in sub-Saharan Africa.This is just US military playing macho man again,you hurt us and we'll track you to the ends of the earth (unless your called Osama of course).

15. NotFound macrumors 6502a

NotFound

It would appear that way, wouldn't it?

I'm VERY ready for this conservative, right sided, executive branch of government to end. Put Pelosi in for a few rounds and see if she can clean up the republican's mess. ;)

16. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Looks like the US is once again prizing having friends (or at least non-enemies) in charge, rather than people who can actually keep the peace for the inhabitants. From what I read in a magazine last night (I don't profess to be an expert on this at all), although the Islamic courts who had control over Somalia weren't exactly a friendly bunch, they had significant support merely because they seemed the only people who could stop the chaos that ensued under the warlords - especially in the capital Mogadishu which has been devastated by instability.

The warlords were cruel, vicious tyrants who would think nothing of sacrificing a lot of lives for the tiniest territorial gain over a rival. But they're not hostile to the Americans, which of course is what's important here. :rolleyes:

17. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

So I'm sure all those conservatives who derided Clinton for attacking al Qaeda during his political nadir as "wagging the dog", will now do the same to Bush? Or is intellectual consistency just too much to ask for these days?

18. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Hmm... so it's basically pointless now again.

At least the iPhone can work on Somalia now :D

19. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Do you even have to ask anymore? And the Dems will probably act like they're putting up a fight, but cave anyway. While they're called terrorist lovers for the act and cowards for the actions, or lack thereof.

Then someone Bush put in charge will screw it up and everyone will blame Clinton, and the Dem who wins in '08.

Not until June.

Well, Q4 actually since it's not the US.