Loose 15" Powerbook

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by moron, Apr 17, 2003.

1. moron macrumors newbie

Hi

I've recently noticed a strange 'feature' on my 15" powerbook. The front-right corner (under the superdrive) is a bit loose, and creaks when you squeeze it.

Its only on that one corner, and it seems to be due to something like a screw not being tightened as much as it should. I'm at a bit of a loss about this because it is far too minor to warrant sending it back to be repaired (as the actual movement is probably about .5 of a mm), but it is still quite annoying considering i paid a small fortune for it only 2 or so months ago.

I'd tighten the screw myself, but i'm unable to determine exactly which screw needs to be done. There are the 7 screws on the base of the case, but they are all located towards the back of the laptop, and it isn't loose there, as i said before the problem is only in the front right corner below the superdrive. There is, however, a small rubber foot in the same area, which i thought might be covering a screw, but i'm loathed to pick it off just incase there isn't one there, and i don't want to hurt my beloved machine!

Has anyone encountered this before? Is this a common problem?? Can anyone offer a solution???

Cheers in advance!

moron

2. shakespeare macrumors 6502

I haven't got a solution for you, although I will warn you that there are no screws under those little rubber feet (mine fell off after a while; that's how I know).

I can sympathise with you, though; even the most minor of flaws is infuriating if your machine has been perfect until then. I hope someone here who knows more about the construction of your machine can help you.

3. tblin macrumors newbie

did you install airport by yourself?

my pb 867 is in the same as your after I installed airport card myself, I tried a few times to put the cover back as carefully as I could, tightening every screw, but it's still like this.

My guess is the bottom cover got very slight bent when I opened it and read somewhere else that tibook bottom cover is just difficult to deal with (maybe it's too thin?)

sorry for not being able to offer more help, but at least you're not alone.

4. moron thread starter macrumors newbie

I haven't even opened it once, its exactly as it came new.

Its a bit annoying, but i think i'm gonna have to live with it!

5. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

You don't have to live with it. Just take it to a local Apple Authorized Reseller and have them fix it under AppleCare. I take it you have AppleCare as you mentioned not wanting to send it back.

6. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

mine new PB w/SuperDrive is the same, but also the bottom of the case around the battery and heatsink is starting to move upwards, leaving a sharp edge between the case and the battery/heatsink. I think im going to get it fixed under the 1 year warranty (since i cant get AppleCare in FL).

In fact, on mine the right side is so loose it doesnt even sqweek, but the left front side does.

7. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Huh? No AppleCare in FL? How's that?

8. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Stupid state government... also its probably covered by what we call the lemon law, that is sort of a warranty state-wide, but only lasts for some 90 days or something. However, this law was made primarily for cars, so i dont know how much it applies to computers :rolleyes:

Look at the small text at the bottom of the AppleStore page: AppleCare

9. jrichardcmu macrumors newbie

both my corners are loose

I'm having a similar problem with my 1GHz PB I bought in December. The Right side move up and down about 1mm, and the left side squeaks as I type. It is more than annoying. I called Apple and they told me that the warranty does not cover the case. I told them that was unacceptable and the rep filed my report and told me to go to a local authorized apple repair/reseller (in my case a CompUSA) to have them take a look at it. He said they do make exceptions, but someone else needs to review it. I haven't been in to get it checked out since I need my computer everyday for school. I plan to go when the semester is over in a few weeks. Please let me know if any of you get more information.

10. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: both my corners are loose

I would consider that normal warranty service. I worked in a BMW Motorcycle shop for 7 years and nothing absolutely nothing got repaired or replaced without the service center authorization first. If there was a blatant failure then it was besides the point but for cosmetic and other things to cover there but they want an authorized service center to inspect it for damage first.

11. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    actually, i know your exact problem. you won't like it.

i have taken apart my tibook many times, and the first time i was a little too tough on it.

you have seperated the titanium bottom plate from the plastic (?) frame which holds it snug to the white bezel.

if you want to fix it, it is very easy.

[take out the battery.] unscrew the bottom of the laptop with a torx wrench.

GENTLY pull the bottom titanium part up and towards the front of the laptop. make sure you pull up AND forward.

you will see the grey frame that is glued (more like welded) to the titanium. most likely you somehow broke the weld.

buy some 5 minute epoxy and re-weld it. i had to do it and it works perfectly.

trust me- this is my laptop here

i have since re-painted it, and it looks much better...

12. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I was told that if you use it for business, it's acceptable.

It has to do with having to carry the cash equivalent to the total of the purchased price of all equipment covered by the plan.