Loose 17" PB Hinge-Normal?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by vkapoormd, Mar 24, 2005.

1. vkapoormd macrumors member

I just traded in my 15 inch PB for a new 17 PB (1.67 Processor) and one thing i have noticed is that the screen is alot floppier than the 15 inch. When i am in bed using the laptop and trying to look it at an angle, the screen tends to fall forward. In general, it's alot more loose than the 15 inch. I looked at some of the 17 inch PB's in the apple store, and they were also looser than the 15 inch. I spoke to one of the guys at the Genius bar and he told me that because the 17 inch was heavier, the hinge was designed that way and there's not much that can be done. I guess i am fine with that, assuming this been the general experience of the other 17 inch owners. Anyone have any thoughts? :confused:

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I don't (yet) have one of the new PBs (debating 15" vs 17"), but the 17" models I looked at in various Apple Stores were not what I'd describe as "loose" - the display held its position when placed in various angles.

I'd say that if your display cannot maintain a position when it's not almost flat or almost closed (when you'd expect it to fall), then something is wrong. Even if other 17" displays do it, something is still wrong. I'd call Apple. The 17" is bigger, yes, but not that much bigger that you'd expect it to be unable to maintain a position.

Of course, I'm assuming that, when using it, you keep it relatively still and that the display falls on its own - i.e., it isn't being jostled.

3. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Absolutely right. Sounds like another "I don't really know anything but since I'm a corporate tool I'll give you an excuse -- and oh yeah, it happens on these too, so it MUST be ok."

4. mcadam macrumors 6502a

mcadam

Mine certainly isn't loose at all, and if it was I would be seriously annouyed - the angle of view is rather important... Are you sure it was the "genius"-bar you went to ask? :D
    I've never met a 17" w this problem before, so I really don't think it's something you should put up with!

A

5. vkapoormd thread starter macrumors member

Well my Macrumors brothers; i took your advice and went to the apple store to complain; they were actually great; they agreed to swap out my laptop for a new one. i did that tonight, but it still seems the hinge is not as tight as i would like it, but it is better overall; maybe i am being too picky... who knows? in any event, i was pleased with their customer service.

6. Vanilla macrumors 6502a

Well I have a 17" and have had the opportunity to compare it to a new 15", which I have since returned (unbalanced sound was just too much for me) and in my experience there is a clear difference in the hinges.

The 15" was (to me) quite stiff whereas the 17" seems to be more smoothly weighted. If you tip the 17" the screen WILL close but given the size and weight of the screen I'm not surprised.

At the end of the day the 17" is really a desktop replacement and as such, placed on a desk, the machine is perfect. In my opinion for more impulsive portability (lying in bed, sprawled on a couch, squashed in cattle class on a plane etc.) you need a smaller machine.

Vanilla

7. vkapoormd thread starter macrumors member

well, glad to hear it's not just my PB; yes you are right about it being perfect on a desk; in fact, i passed on my 15 inch to my dad and now when i look at it, it look's too small and i have become used to the 17 inch screen. Despite the woes with the screen, i am very happy with it. :)

8. dollystereo macrumors 6502a

dollystereo

I have a 17 Inch PB to, the old one (1.5GHZ), but i feel that my screen stay were i put it, so???
    Maybe it was loose!