Loose HD Platters?!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Daveway, Aug 8, 2005.

1. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

I recently bought a new Toshiba 40gb harddrive for my laptop. A 2.5". I noticed that the performace is extremely disappointing even though it is a 5400rpm drive just like my last one which ran fine.

Last night I noticed that when I tilted my laptop a spinning noise was screaming out. It sounded like the platters were scrapping against each other or on sides of the drive. Almost like the sound a cd player makes if you twirl it in your hand. My last drive did not do this either. I notice a huge performance decrease if a have the laptop tilted in my lap.

Is it possible that the platters could be loose? Has anyone heard of such a thing?

2. TMA macrumors 6502a

TMA

No i've not personally. Normally when a hard disk fails due to a mechanical problem its pretty much always completely terminal. Once you know your HD is dead, there's not really that much incentive to find out exactly why.

If there's a lot of funny noises, it could be a problem with the heads actually scraping or touching the surface of the platters. That I have heard of many times before. This can be the result:

[​IMG]

(full story: http://www.astro.ufl.edu/~ken/crash/)

My advice...
    BACK UP EVERYTHING IMPORTANT TO YOU AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!

3. Daveway thread starter macrumors 68040

Daveway