loose lips sinks ships

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Oct 3, 2002.

1. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    the media is not reporting too much about the soldiers still in afganistan, or in other areas of the world for that matter..maybe it's not newsworthy today

but what i can't stand is how on one hand the media puts in a good story for our war on terrorism and on the other hand, like cnn, gives away our strategy and puts the lives of our soldiers on the line in the name of "news"

how much do we need to know? but how much secrecy is too much secrecy and leads to a situation ripe for corruption?

it's a fine line

what do you think?
  2. job macrumors 68040

Jan 25, 2002
    in transit
    I often asked myself that.

I've always wondered how public perception of the Second World War would have changed had CNN :rolleyes: been documenting the invasion live... :rolleyes:

As citizens who are not in any position to decide how military forces are used, and who could possibly compromise agents in the field, I don't think we should know specific troop movements. However, I do think that we should be allowed to know the general deployment of American troops.
  3. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

Oct 28, 2001
    Greensboro, NC
    i dont think we need to know a damn thing while operations are going on. however, when all is said and done, the veil should always be lifted. except of course with matters of secret weapons, etc.
  4. krossfyter macrumors 601

Jan 13, 2002
    secret city
    believe me there are a lot of secret military operations and or stratigies that never get leaked to the media. the only reason i know is because i hear veterans say this and of course my pop who was in the airforce for 28 years and ended up in the pentagon told me so also.

i have watched the news enough to see them say sometimes "we cant reveal so and so because of obvious secrecy reasons... blah blah". while there are this operations that go un leaked there are some that become leaked and its the job os some part of the government or military to try and uncover these leakes for damage control.
  5. diorio macrumors 6502a

Aug 22, 2002
    The media should be able to know basic things like where we are fighting, and causulties, but I think that is all they should know. You would have to be stupid not to know what our government is planning to do with the media we have.
  6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    Just as the Americans were about to move into position for a big assualt, the reporter for Fox News, who was traveling with them, gave out their location. How exact it was, I don't know, since I wasn't there, but it was probably enough to cause a problem for them.

They should probably consider that punishable. :(
  7. scem0 macrumors 604

Jul 16, 2002
    back in NYC!
    The media should definitely not reveal too much, but after everything is said and done, nothing should be hidden.