Loose Lips Sinks ships.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Stelliform, Aug 9, 2004.

1. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

I think it is time to lock down all of these leaks. Our government has more leaks than the Titanic. Where are those good ole treason charges when you need them.

CNN article on Government Leak messing up Pakistani informant

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

does it qualify as a leak? i thought the administration simply confirmed he was undercover, when asked by the press.

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

5. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Over at Josh Marshall's site there is a discussion of the latest excuse for the outing of this informant. It seems that Condi Rice is saying they only gave out the information on background.

CNN

As Marshall points out, background information is used to protect the identity of the person giving the information not to protect the information being leaked. Of interest is the claim, by Rice, that she didn't know whether the Khan was working for the Pakistanis. Is incompetence of a National Security Advisor now a legitimate excuse for hurting national security?

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I thought she had more sense...

7. Desertrat macrumors newbie

What is ANY administration to do? If they don't talk, in the name of "national security", they're accused of hiding stuff and/or lying. If they say much of anything at all, they're accused of "outing" or some such.

Administrations and the public both want a both-ways deal. Secrecy/security on one hand, in order to achieve national goals, and an open society where everybody knows not just the "what" but the "how".

'Rat

8. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

in this case, all they had to do was not name names. i don't see the "damned if you do, damned if you don't" here. considering police action and undercover work should be priority one in fighting terrorism, not knowing whether or not someone was turned or working undercover is inexcusable.

9. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    i don't see it as a balance of information issue...

it's a credibility issue brought about by a steady stream of lies and deception.

we've all read the story about "the boy who cried wolfowitz". ;)

10. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

This administration has proven it has no qualms about using the "priveleged information" excuse in cases far less volatile than those central to the war on terror (see Cheney, Dick and Energy policy).