Loose Macbook trackpad key?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NewSc2, Nov 6, 2006.

1. NewSc2 macrumors 65816

Just noticed this now -- whenever I tap the trackpad (very lightly, without clicking) I hear a high pitched "thik" on the left side. The right side of the mouse button doesn't thik or anything. Sounds like the mouse button is loose but I've tried pushing harder to jar it back in place but it doesn't work. In fact, if I click the mouse using the left side of the button I hear 2 clicks -- that light thik then the button click.

Is this a common problem?

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

i don't have it, and i haven't heard of it before, so i would say its uncommon. Take it to an AppleCentre and see what they think.

sounds strange, though...

3. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Yeah I've even heard people saying that their clicker bar will only click when pressing one side of it. That would be one of the early MacBooks though. Your trackpad will need replacing.

4. NewSc2 thread starter macrumors 65816

It's not that I can only click it on one side -- I can click it everywhere, and it feels exactly the same.

Basically the left side seems "looser" than the right, so when I push the button it makes a noise (like it's grating against the case) before actually clicking the button. This doesn't happen on the right side. It's not a serious problem, but it's a bit annoying because I usually rest my thumb on the trackpad and now when I do so it makes a funny noise.

5. jbusc macrumors member

Sorry to necro this thread, but I have the same problem! The right side of the trackpad key, when resting my finger on it, will sound a very light click when removing the very light force on it. The force is so light the actual button does not click, but the button does bend down a bit. It doesn't affect usability, but it can get annoying hearing that stupid click all the time. I can't imagine what's causing that, though.

edit: I have a mid-to-late rev CD macbook, white, 2.0ghz

6. stoise macrumors newbie

I have this exact problem on my new 17" Macbook Pro
    Did anyone ever find a way to solve the problem and if not, you think it's justifiable to ask for a replacement/repair?

7. NewSc2 thread starter macrumors 65816

My problem went away after a couple weeks. Funny how I didn't notice that it went away until I clicked on this thread again and tried tapping my mouse.

8. stoise macrumors newbie

9. XP Defector macrumors 6502

Anyone know how much Apple would charge to have the trackpad replaced? If I ever sell this awesome computer, having a new trackpad would definitely make it look a lot newer seeing as it wears out quite noticeably.

10. NewSc2 thread starter macrumors 65816

Actually... it seems to have come back. It definitely wasn't present last night though. I can't really compare but I think the noise has gotten less clicky since I first noticed it, and has pretty much never annoyed me.

11. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

Apple wont help you if you ended up taking it back.

Just like when I took my MBP back for a squeaky spacebar. The Genius acknowledged the sound, but he said it was normal because the mechanism is metal on metal so it's not going to be silent...in other words, it's totally normal to have a squeaking spacebar for a computer that's 4 weeks old (C2D ordered a day after it was released).

Funny thing is, when he pried up the spacebar and showed me the mechanism just so the visit wouldn't be a total waste and after taking 20 minutes (literally) to put it back on the squeak is gone. So those of you with a squeaky spacebar, just take it off and re-seat it. Be warned: it is difficult to put back on even for a Genius.

The cause of the squeak? I think its the way they seat the silicone spring. The squeak did not sound like a metal/metal, rather a rubber squeak, like rubbing a balloon but at a lower level.

edit: oh one more thing, i mentioned macrumors.com and that other users had this problem. his response was that since it is not patrolled by apple techs, this site is unreliable. Sure enough, Apple.com also has squeaky spacebar threads, but i checked after i went back home in disgust.
    Sorry for the digression, but basically Apple will say: Well, we can't put it on too tight otherwise you won't be able to press down the trackpad button. It's intentionally loose. OR Its a moving part, there's going to be some sound coming from it.

12. dcingraham macrumors newbie

Boo metallic-sounding trackpads

I've been monitoring the official apple site discussion forum here, too. I think there are a lot more people that have this problem than we know. Some people are just willing to click their trackpad buttons in certain places. This is ridiculous. If we have a 10cm wide button, we should be able to click it anywere, and execute a relatively silent click. Here's the link to an additional site that discusses this same issue:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=588981

13. mdntblu macrumors member

None of this works for me. I even tried making the paper different thicknesses and it still doesn't work. Makes my button work worse.