1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

loose wire inside imac flat panel g4 1.25ghz.. is this a problem?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by hucchund22, Jun 10, 2010.

1. macrumors member

hi there,, i just opened my imac g4 1.25 ghz 17" (lamp imac) and found a wire that is taped at the end and apparently not connected somewhere.. as you can see in the pics, the one i'm holding with an orange tip at the tip.. i dont really know the history of this imac.. :c

is this a cause for concern on my part? i'm replacing/upgrading the dvd rom and hard disk.. that's why i saw that wire.. :confused:

thanks a lot,,

Attached Files:

2. macrumors 68040

666sheep

Don't worry, it's Bluetooth antenna connector. If you'll get yourself original Apple BT module (suitable for your model) someday, it will be needed. Now is not :)

3. macrumors member

wew.. what a relief.. :D i thought it was a problem.. :)

i'm trying to put everything on this imac even though it's a 7 to 9 year old design.. can anyone tell me where i can buy a bluetooth device for this particular mac? i have seen a airport card in it already, so where do i install the bluetooth device? :confused:

4. macrumors 68040

666sheep

5. macrumors 6502

ClassicII

Dont forget new thermo paste on the case contact points. :)

6. macrumors member

so which one is better? the internal bluetooth or the usb device? ei 666sheep, do you know of a shop in the UK that sells the internal bluetooth? thanks..

i have everything prepared already, i'm just waiting for the dvd drive and hard disk to arrive.. everything bought in ebay..

7. macrumors 68040

666sheep

In UK I don't know.
    Which one is better? Certainly USB one: BT 2.0, price, installation simplicity, maybe you can even white one ;)

Apple BT board has one "advantage": it's original and don't takes USB port. If it's important to you, get Apple one from eBay seller who I linked (his form Spain). Price is very good, i've seen these boards for $100+ See also installation procedure in linked PDF and decide.

8. macrumors 6502

Is that molex connector burnt on the edge?

Anyway, you can buy an internal bluetooth module. They don't take up a usb port, so I'd be willing to pay a premium for it.

I got one with one of my iMacs, but it's missing the 10 pin connector, so I just use a usb dongle.

9. macrumors member

i prefer the internal bluetooth device because it doesn't take any usb slots but i'll buy it later,, i have to make sure my mac works first before i spend more money.. And i already spent a small fortune on this.. :p

10. macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

if you dont have or dont plan to buy a bluetooth mouse or keyboard , you will neither need external or internal
    and dont forget the thermal compound otherwise the iMac will fry quicker then fries at one of these fast food chains