Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth II [360]

Discussion in 'Games' started by srobert, Jul 14, 2006.

1. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth II [360]

Anybody tried it yet?

I'm aching for a Real Time Strategy game these days. I'd be willing to give it a shot but I'm a little scared about the controls.

It is mouse comaptible? If not, did they manage to make it easy to control with the 360 controller?

Thanks for any insight.

2. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

Here is the ing.com review.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/716/716469p1.html

They give it an 8.2, so it must be pretty good.

I really hope they put a demo on the marketplace, I feel like this is one of those games you really need to try for yourself, not just read reviews or watch videos, in order to tell if you'll like it.

3. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

I downloaded the demo but I'm currently busy being worried because my audio was skipping on my 360 while playing burnout. I'm on my 2nd one.

4. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

Doing some research about the controls scheme, which is my main worry.:

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Can I just sideline a second and mention ChromeHound is amazing online. Ignore the ****** singleplayer demo, it is far far supperior when played online in a squad.

Back to LOTR

Demo is ok, didn't bowl me over, but neither did the forementioned game, so I may give it a shot regardless.

Prey got a great review on IGN.

6. benyaimin macrumors member

I hated the single player of that. It's like Condemned but worse with Doom 3 graphics. I swear every game w/ the Doom 3 engine looks exacty the same.

7. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

I currently have it checked out from Gamefly. It's okay. Not worth $60. A little bit laggy. If you liked Warcraft 1 - 3 it's definitely a game worth playing, but not necessarily worth buying.

8. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I could not agree more. When I was playing the Prey Demo, my roommate thought I was playing Doom 3.

9. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Wow... and hear all I remember was your utter hatred for ChromeHounds... lol! ;)

10. bennettski macrumors newbie

bennettski

i just got it today and its playable and enjoyable. control are decent.

also someone posted that there was no tutorial buut there is a beginner and advanced. so far i've one beginner and not touched the manual, still able to play normally.

it reminds me of the older PC game even whilst playing on the 360

good game

11. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

LOL! Tell me about it. But i'm big enough to admit when I'm wrong. The demo did the game a total disservice. A game on Live hasn't had me this hooked in a long long time. :)

Some levels have a considerable amount of detail (the citys and stuff) and the lighting and filters are stunning.

The customisation has to be seen to be believed. The persistent online universe is class too (even though our side Sal Kal has just been completely annihilated :eek: )

Luv in it !!!!

12. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Haha! So I was right! Glad to hear it... I wanted 360 to have a good mech game, didn't figure we'd see another if this one bombed!

13. crachoar macrumors 6502a

So, why would anybody pay $20 more than the PC version, if this 360 version is identical, minus the mouse + keyboard?

Also, why don't they have mouse + keyboard control? The 360 has USB ports. I really wish games would start supporting the scheme.

On a 'Doom 3' note - all games on that engine not only look the same as 'Doom 3' - but they suck the same as well.

P.S. How many 360's have you guys gone through? I'm getting ready to deal with number five...

14. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

I haven't DLed the demo yet, but I probably will.

crachoar, you already have a thread in which to whine about that. PLEASE don't turn this one into that too, m'kay?

Anyways, I wonder if BFME II would work on my MacBook… though the graphics would undoubtedly be better on the X360.

15. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

For people like me who don't have a PC to play games on, buying the 360 version is the only option. I never really like playing games on my computer, I like playing socially, in a comfortable place where a lot of people can watch and join in.

I really hope they don't add a mouse and keyboard to the 360. I don't see a way for it to be comfortable to use in a living room. And I can't imagine how multiplayer would work in a living room, would each person need their own keyboard and mouse? I would need major storage and counter space to pull off 4 people at a time. The controller is perfect for consoles, I hope they don't change it for a long time.

16. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Were people saying there was no Tutorial? That's the first option I saw when I started the demo!

My impressions are good so far, I like how they've set everything up and think this could be really great on Xbox Live.

People would buy the 360 version because they don't have a PC, plain and simple.

I honestly think that most often games are not designd to support mouse/keyboard because they are not packaged with the system and to keep things balanced. When you have a very important online service, you have to keep everyone on the same playing field - that means using the standard controllers packaged with the system. The few must suffer for the masses, I guess.

I personally didn't think Prey played badly, and thought it had a very interesting setting and style... felt like a mix of Doom 3 + Half-Life 2 from a story telling perspective - to me. Visual style alone doesn't dictate how a game plays, and I thought they did a great job... and put a strong focus on the "innovations" and storyline.

On that note, now that 3D Realms has finished up Prey, maybe we'll actually here something new about DNF, heh.

PS: I'm still on my 1st 360, purchased in January.

17. benyaimin macrumors member

haha. true that.

18. bennettski macrumors newbie

bennettski

just completed good campaign, it was a little short and did'nt include anything which was in the original PC game. so all of the levels are new which is good but i would have liked to have played scenes from the film. the game has you play as the new races (elves and dwarves) so there was no sign of the film heros.

19. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

That's because its about the battle in the North - these are in the book

The film concentrated on the war in the South

20. benyaimin macrumors member

is this game anything like warcraft III b/c i loved that game

21. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Yes. Of course, I haven't played many RTS games released after WC3 that weren't a lot like it. Blizzard tends to set the standards in RTS and MMORPGs.

22. benyaimin macrumors member

I just tried it and I must say I didn't like it. Maybe if you could plug in a keyboard and mouse it would be good because I didn't like the fact that you can't really micromanage the way you can in other RTS games. Too bad. :eek:

23. bennettski macrumors newbie

bennettski

ok thanks that explains it a bit, i played the skirmish and they were all present.

one really annoying part of the skirmisk menu is that the races are just shown as symbols in stead of there names, i don't recognise all the different types so its hard to know whos fighting.

24. crachoar macrumors 6502a

Link?

Yeah, it should run swimmingly on your integrated graphics workstation...