Lord of the Rings doesn't deserve to win

Discussion in 'Community' started by MacNut, Feb 29, 2004.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

It would be an outrage for LOTR to win, I mean come on half of the movie is special effects. Its ashame that the academy is overlooking true actors and moviemaking and instead awarding an over the top fantasy. And yet the Academy still wont elect a comedy for any awards. I hope it goes to Bill Murray and Lost In Translation.

2. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

i too hope the award goes to lost in translation, but get over it. the lord of the rings trilogy was awesome. amazing. breathtaking. so what it had special effects out the wazoo? it also had great acting all around and a legendary plot. the 'back to basics' argument doesn't work for me. everything evolves. if it doesn't, its the same old stuff.

3. dho macrumors 6502

Well as of yet they havn't lost a singl award. we will see

4. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

are you suggesting that animators don't count for anything? Animators are actors that act through a different character...either by puppets, pencils, or computers. They have to be able to act MANY roles in the same film...even in the same shot. Let's see the "real" actors do that.

and it isn't as if they just push a button and BAM, theres half the movie.

Just because you're ignorant doesn't mean LOTR should not win. "true moviemaking" huh? sounds like someone needs to learn about filmmaking before they start shouting off their mouth...

5. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Ok than whats wrong with having a comedy for best picture?

6. janey macrumors 603

janey

its a shame that the academy is overlooking most excellent foreign/indie films. its a shame that the academy is biased. its a shame that the oscars only gives awards to a small portion of movies worldwide, regardless of the fact that this is an american awards show. its a shame that such stupid films get so many awards for something it wasnt great at. its a shame that the academy only consists of an elite few from the movie industry. blah blah, so on.
    LIVE WITH IT! you wont be able to change the way the oscars are run.
    so ****, this is a caucasian-driven and horribly biased awards ceremony for a handful of movies.

GO LOTR!!!! 8 wins out of 8 from a possible 11 so far :D :D

7. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

Absolutely nothing.

However, the academy is all politics, and it is more important "who's turn" it is, than "who deserves".

Most comedies are not example of "good filmmaking" anyway...there are MANY MANY that actually are very well made...but most are not. Most of my favorite films are comedies, and a lot of the time comedies ARE better than say, Dramas. BUT, that doesn't matter because the academy is politics.

They only recently started the animated feature award....give it time.

8. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

the inherent nature of a movie that can be pigeonholed into the category of 'comedy' keeps it from being considered as a best movie candidate. comedy is generally accepted as, in the long run, a farce. any movie that is funny AND cinematically significant can't really be called a comedy.

edit: unless its a woody allen movie. ;)

9. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

You Cant Honeslty Say That Lotr Is The Best Movie Of The Year Consideing All Of The Movies Nominated, Just Because It Make A Ton Of Money Does Not Make It Worth Best Picture

10. janey macrumors 603

janey

man honestly, read my post. :p

11. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

I don't think "Lord of the Rings" deserves to win either. Why? Well, let's look at what Best Picture means:

1. Excellent Acting.
    2. Excellent Story.
    3. Excellent Directing.

Personally, I hate the LOTR story. I just never got into those fantasy type stories. I didn't think the acting in the film was that good. The directing was actually well done.

Now lets look at my pick for Best Picture, "Mystic River." It has a great story, acting that is absolutely amazing, and the best work ever done by director Clint Eastwood.

I question why people are pulling for "Lord Of The Rings." Is it because they think it's the best picture, or are people so in love with the story that they want their favorite childhood books to win? I think you'll find that people are pulling for the film(s) only because they love the story.

I know why I don't want LOTR to win. Not because it isn't a good film, but simply because their are better ones nominated.

12. janey macrumors 603

janey

i must admit all the movies nominated for best picture are excellent (well the ones ive seen so far (3/5)), but honestly is the only reason why half of you dislike LOTR winning best picture based on the fact that this is a novel?

If you havent read the trilogy or the Hobbit, i suggest you do so. JRR Tolkien was a very gifted writer.

The only reason why I'm supporting LOTR for Best Picture? It was the first movie ever that made me cry. I see a lot of movies. Once a week. Maybe two or three or even four a week. LOTR was good. It was the only one that everyone I knew loved. "Composited with Shake". :) Its quite an excellent trilogy, especially compared to crap like The Matrix (original was good, but nothing else was).

13. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

lol thats your opinion. and yes i can honestly say that i think LOTR is the best movie of the year. And thats my opinion, if you dont like the story thats fine, if you do thats cool too. I dont think money has anything to do with it. And fankley i don't really beslieve you know what your talking about... thats also my opinion ;)

14. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

If thats the first movie to make you cry you havent seen many good movies have you. Second i think the Matrix was a great trilogy. It was far more original than LOTR which is really a new age remake of Star Wars

15. janey macrumors 603

janey

ive seen many good movies. ROTK was the first one that emotionally moved me.
    Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions sucked ass.

my explanation: i'm not easily moved by movies. movies like a beautiful mind, 21 grams and gone with the wind, not to mention others like mulholland drive and the pianist, didnt move me emotionally in almost any way.

16. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

it is probably a token award, since i personally felt like the first one was the most well done. but they couldn't ignore how good the trilogy was, so they saved it till the end. who cares? the oscars don't mean anything...

17. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

I think the Oscars mean a great deal to an actors career

18. janey macrumors 603

janey

pwned!!!! rotk wins!!!! awesome :D :D :D :D
    11 out of 11 oscars :D

19. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

The oscars don't mean anything to.....? You make no sense.

20. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

21. janey macrumors 603

janey

its always been at a low all throughout its history. please read my first post in this thread.

22. Steradian macrumors 6502

How so? I think that Peter Jackson and his editing crew deserve the award, the amount of work that Jackson put into those films is mind boggling, just watch the appendices of the films, and you can get an idea. They cut the editing down to the deadline everytime, making use of every moment that the studio gave them. 11 is what they were nominated for, 11 is what they received cheers to them.

23. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Chew on this What is the best movie ever in your opinion. Titanic, Ben Hur, Lord Of The Rings or other

24. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

Well, at least we didn't have another full blown Michael Moore (although some did try...) during the awards. I did like what they did with him during the intro, though :cool:

I really don't see what some people have against the LOTR Trilogy. OK, so you didn't like the books, but that doesn't mean that it's not a good movie. Even then, the Academy Awards are still extremely biased... There were only 5 main movies up for nominations... Either way, the LOTR Trilogy was an amazing undertaking in moviemaking. It's soundtrack is incredible, and most people who watch it are stunned by almost everything else about the movie. I think the movie was awesome in depicting an epic tale between good and evil originally written in a masterful series of novels by an amazing author.

So if you don't like it, that's fine. That's your opinion. Personally, I think all movies nominated are fine movies, even if they didn't win an oscar.

25. Steradian macrumors 6502

Wha? I know that the studio strayed from the story on a few accounts, but it is certainly not a remake of star wars, star-wars had horrible acting, just LOOK at the piss poor job that Mark Hamel did, i find it sort of insulting calling The LOTR series a star-wars remake. However, if you mean to compare them in a trilogy set, then I can see your point, but comparing it to indiana jones would be far more realistic in my mind. Do remember that when J.R.R Tolkein wrote LOTR he wasn't really writing for others too much, he was writing for himself. It is also amazing that Jackson and his crew managed to take a story that broke the rules of modern writing and put it to film, a very challenging task that needed to be commended. Lost in translation is an AWESOME film, and a victim of circumstance, had it appeared any-other year I am sure that it would have received it's due, I am sorry that you are upset about the results of the oscars, but like Über said, it's pretty much all political.