Lord of the Rings Trilogy Tuesday!!!

Discussion in 'Community' started by jrv3034, Oct 9, 2003.

1. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

Ok, so check out the LOTR website:

www.lordoftherings.net

There you will find info on the upcoming marathon viewing of Fellowship of the Ring (extended edition), Two Towers (extended also), and then the first showing of the Return of the King ALL ON THE SAME DAY!!!! December 16th only. That's about 11 hours of movie in a row!

This is absolute lunacy, but I had to share. I already bought tickets; they went on sale today at noon.

Hope you all get to see this one time event! It's one of those tales for your grandkids...

2. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

3. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Damn, if I had to sit there for 11 hours I'd either have to kill myself, bring one of those donuts to sit on so my ass doesn't fall asleep and die on me, or hope to God my bladder doesn't explode.

4. jrv3034 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, since I've already seen the first two, I have no problem standing up in the middle of either one to stretch and use the bathroom (and eat I guess). But come Return of the King time, I'll be bolted to that seat, so that donut cushion would probably come in handy.

They're sold out in NYC also. That's where I wanted to go first, but I ended up getting tix in the Palisades Mall.

Who else is doing this?

5. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Hmmmm.......

Tickets are available in Austin. I should ask some friends if they want to go because I sure do :).

scem0

6. Waluigi macrumors 6502

I got tickets of the manchester, CT showings.....I'm still trying to find someone to go with....all of my friends, don't want to go for some reason??

--Waluigi

7. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

I bought my tickets today!!! I can sit for 14 hours on a flight with a whole lot less to do, so this'll be a breeze. It's the closest thing to a religious experience I've ever had, so it'll be good.

8. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

Got my tix. I suspect by about five hours in my whole body will be numbed senseless, so after that point it doesn't matter.

9. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Love the movies & the books, but man, I don't think I have the stamina.

On another note, I don't know if this is one of those things that you're going to want to "tell your grandkids about." I somehow imagine that they wouldn't get it and look it you strangely. Then you'd grumble, pop your Metamucil, and hobble away.

10. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

Give me a catheter, an IV of caffeine, bottle of water, and plenty of pizza - oh, and a tempurpedic pillow for my ass, and I'm good to go.

11. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I think that I will wait for the DVD. My home theater setup is very satisfactory.

You forgot the popcorn patrick0brien!

12. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

Dammit!

13. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I am all about Raisonettes, personally, I just wish that they still sold them at movies like they used to.

14. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

Is this a US-only thing, or are the going to be similar showings in the UK? I've not been able to find anything about it online. This is something that I'd love to go and see, tiring though it may be.

15. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

What's wrong patrick0brien? I didn't mean to make you angry, just thought I would make a humorous comment. Other medical items occurred to me, but I thought that would be a downer.

16. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-wdlove

You did. I forgot the smiley. :D

I was joking back - c'mon, you should remember the thickness of my skin... :)

17. Waluigi macrumors 6502

wow, these tickets are selling for over $250/ea on ebay...I'm so tempted to sell....

--Waluigi

18. cichlid macrumors newbie

I'm looking for a ticket to the Manchester showing. If it's still availible.

19. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Damn, that would be quite cool - but I don't know if I'd be able to sit for 11 hours without needing to get up and move around for a bit....;)

Not to mention getting some real food. But I won't be able to go then, even if I wanted too, oh well. Any one goes and sees the marathon, I'd love to hear about it.

D

20. Squire macrumors 68000

Squire

That would be cool. However, I seem to recall reading a news article somewhere that mentioned health problems arising due to long movies. I think it was suggesting that the extended period of inactivity could cause a...stroke? Maybe it was something else. Anyone else remember reading this? I did a search using long movies stroke and the results all related to an activity primarily aimed at pro-creation ;)

Squire

P.S. Don't get me wrong- I'd love to watch a Rings marathon!

21. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Wow that sounds really cool, I wish I could do that...

Damn sold out... too bad...

:(

22. pooky macrumors 6502

This is the same problem that can arise on a long plane flight. Blood clots can develop in the legs when you sit for too long. Normally this isn't a problem, but if it dislodges it can wind up in the lungs or brain, which generally makes for a bad weekend.

Incidentally, if anyone has ever picked up a "personal massager" from your local adult bookstore, this is why they warn you not to use it on leg pain. It can dislodge a blood clot and cause major problems.

Info on clots in general:
    http://www.mdtravelhealth.com/illness/deep_vein_thrombosis.html

Article blaming LOTR for clots:
    http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/07/11/1057783328197.html

23. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

interesting. nah but im not that fanatical about LOTR. cool idea though for those who are. great movie trilogy its going to be.

24. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

We'll finally get the Two Towers Special Edition DVD on 11/18...woot!

25. tixWntd macrumors newbie

Help, need tix for TrilogyT; CT or MA

Waluigi

I missed out on tickets in CT. I've been continuing to look everywhere on the web. I noticed your posting, that you had an extra? Let me know please, via my email. I'm on so many boards lately, I can't continue to check if I have any responses.

Anything in CT or MA.

thanks
    tixWntd

riederryan@yahoo.com