Lord of the Rings

Discussion in 'Community' started by Durandal7, Aug 12, 2002.

?

Lord of the Rings is coming out will you...

1. Ignore it

5 vote(s)
    9.4%
  2. Rent it

4 vote(s)
    7.5%
  3. Buy it on VHS

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Buy it on DVD

43 vote(s)
    81.1%
  5. I already have the books, why would I want the movie?

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  1. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

2. job macrumors 68040

job

I'm going to wait for the 4 disc DVD box set out just in time for the holiday season. :)

3. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

I saw it today,cause a mate bought it on DVD and wow its actually good, I didn't think it would be so good, so I'm going to the movies to see part 2 when it comes out

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Its going to be a good set of DVDs, but I'm wondering what will be available after the last movie comes out in 03, they'll have a special boxed set then - it might be worth waiting for.

D

5. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

yeah cool until then I'll bludge a copy of it of my mate

6. gaomay macrumors regular

4 disc boxed set

Apparently the 4 disc collectors thingy comes with Argonath bookends as well as the 30 mins extra film footage - more of the battle scenes which were cut to get the rating.

7. Durandal7 thread starter macrumors 68040

I think that I may get the collectors edition just to see those extra battle scenes. You can never have too many battle scenes.

8. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

Amen to that! Violence is good! (well, as long as it doesn't happen to you);)

9. dnte42 macrumors regular

I'll probably become friends with someone who has the DVD (or find the rip floating around the college network, shh :eek: ) for the extras, but I probably won't buy it. Good movie, but if I need a fix I'll read the book, it just has that flavor (old dirty paper, until I get a new copy) and that richness that just doesn't translate to the screen. Some of the movie was just too slow for me...while those parts of the book were fairly enjoyable because of Tolkien's style.

10. elensil macrumors regular

I am definitely waiting for November (thats when extended edition comes out). I would enjoy those extra 30 minutes.

11. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i finally got around to reading the books just before the dvd came out (didnt see it in theatre) and so of course i loved it, bought the dvd... kinda pissed about the special edition coming out later like that... tho if, at the end, they make a set of the special editions, i'll prolly get it :)

pnw

12. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

After looking at the DVD on my PowerMac, it just makes me realize how much I need a new t.v. :(

13. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

I'll be waiting for the 4 disc boxed set in november. The film just left so many parts from the book out, so i figure i'll wait for the extended version. I've got a borrowed version to tie me over 'till then..... i'll probably survive the wait ;)

Can't wait for Two Towers to come out......

14. Durandal7 thread starter macrumors 68040

They left out some parts, but as far as movie adaptions of books go this was excellent. They could have butchered the book like that 1984 Dune movie adaption.

15. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

True, true.....if the film had followed the book too faithfully, it would have probably be rather boring and long-winded. Still, once you've read the book you can appreciate the more mundane parts.....

or am i a weird brit with an odd sense of taste? (jello, don't even think about replying to that! :D)

16. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Is the Sci-Fi Channel adaptation of Dune more to your liking? That was 3 nights, two hours each, but it's on DVD now.

17. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Since I have read all four books, I will be getting the DVD in November (the special edition).

Considering your tar, britboyo, I wouldn't say that have any [good] taste... :eek: :p :D

Oh, and you ARE one weird brit (even by brit standards of weirdness, you are weird). :p :D :cool:

18. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

MY Tolkien experience...

I was 13 when I read my first J.R.R. Tolkien book - The Hobbit. As it was for English, I had to read it. Quite honestly, I enjoyed it. So, it wasn't so far a stretch of the imagination that I would like the Lord Of The Rings trilogy.

Therefore, one holiday a few years back - on a nice secluded Greek Island - I bought "The Fellowship Of The Ring" to read, whilst I lazed wearily in the sun. I managed to get 1/3rd of the way through the book before I chucked it away. I knew that if I read one more passage about how these little furry things sang crappy little songs, danced, drank sh!tty little cups of dandelion tea and ate angel cakes, I would have gone on the rampage. To this day, I believe that book is still floating around the Aegean Sea somewhere...

Giving in to the benefit of the doubt, I thought I had to do the book - and the movie - justice. So, my wife and I got a babysitter, and we went to the movies together for the first time in 2 years. Surprisingly, I was looking forward to seeing the movie - the hype was typically over-the-top, and the actors and special effects had been raved about. And after all, it was shot in my home country of New Zealand.

3 hours later, I couldn't help but feel short-changed. Not only did the storyline dictate that I'd have to endure not one more 3-hour movie, but two; but I don't remember New Zealand EVER looking like that (unless you're referring to the Neolithic Period, of course...).

Here's one bloke who can tell Tolkien to shove his book up his dead, mouldy arse.

:D

19. Durandal7 thread starter macrumors 68040

I liked both versions of Dune. The sci-fi channel version was a bit too long though. The 1984 version had some ridiculous exagerations. Dune just doesn't translate to TV very well.

20. sneed macrumors regular

The movie, no matter how faithful, doesn't come close to the books (1&2). I hope that the remaining two are better.

BTW. There are technically 8 books; the Hobbit, the 'trilogy' (each book contains two books,) and the Silmarillion. I suppose there could actually be 9 with the Adventures of Tom Bombadil, but I haven't read it, so I'll go with 8.

21. jadam macrumors 6502a

jadam

22. dnte42 macrumors regular

Re: MY Tolkien experience...

No small wonder, the first third of the book is VERY slow, and if you are one of those who don't appreciate Tolkien's rich atmosphere and histories and whatnot, the book is easy to put down before you get through 100 pages. However, after that the book picks up a lot more and is easier to read. While I enjoyed both parts, the second part was still more enjoyable. But, Tolkien is just not for everyone.

I gotta say, while I couldn't be happy with anything except a near perfect adaptation of the book, the movie did as good a job as was possible without resorting to a 20-hour television mini-series. If only Elijah Wood hadn't been cast as Frodo. I know Frodo wasn't exactly brave and courageous, but Wood's whining pissed me off. I much prefered the Sam/Pippin type of hobbit-much closer to how I had imagined a hobbit.

23. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Like many before me, I'll be waiting for Nov 12th for the full version.

Then of course- I'm sure in 3 years when they're all out on DVD there will be a big box set with them all - and even more footage- that we'll have to buy...

24. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

At least this is better then the latest [per]versions of star wars... That movie blew nasty chuncks from the word go... I won't pay any money to see that one... either at the theatre or at home...

25. medea macrumors 68030

medea