Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gw1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2007
That's my experience so far.

When I heard that there was no flash plug-in already installed, of course I immediately downloaded it. After considering how rarely I use flash, and discovering safari extensions, I've installed ClicktoFlash which switches flash off unless you specifically want to use it.

It works a treat and on my 11" MBA I now get 6-8 hours of battery life - a good hour more than before. Has anyone else noticed this?

rkahl

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2010
I charge my MBA every two days. If i need to before then, I just plug it in.

LouieSamman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Orlando, Florida
The Click-to-Flash Plugin is a dream. Works great but I use a lot of Flash sites such as YouTube, Justin.tv, Streaming videos and sites that requires flash such as my college website & it gets a bit annoying to always having to click to receive the flash video when I wanted it to play in the first place.

But whats great is the load time of websites.

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
I have Flash installed and get just over 5 hours of battery life on a regular basis. Just don't go to crazy flash intensive sites, most reputable sites don't use "blinking ads" and "annoying flash apps".

Now, if I'm streaming video that's a different story. But, then again I'm streaming video so I expect shorter battery life.

Battery life is based on what you do with any notebook. There's no difference between using Flash and running PhotoShop. It's optional.

pfjellman

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2010
Oregon
yeah, i deleted flash all together and use chrome for the rare sites i need that don't have an html5 option. also installed youtube5 and html5 audio safari extensions, both work very well.

ever since doing this a few days ago i've noticed a startling improvement in battery life.

iKennett

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2007
The Click-to-Flash Plugin is a dream. Works great but I use a lot of Flash sites such as YouTube, Justin.tv, Streaming videos and sites that requires flash such as my college website & it gets a bit annoying to always having to click to receive the flash video when I wanted it to play in the first place.

Oh WOW! This little app is amazing!

zartemis

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2010
I use Flash Block in Chrome and it works perfectly - and it significantly improves my battery life.

Soon you won't need Flash Block in Chrome. The dev version of chrome has 'click to play' built-in as an option on flash. So far the dev version has been reliable for me, but those who don't want to live nearer the cutting edge can wait for the feature to hit the stable version of Chrome.

bamf

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2008

Whitelist the sites you want to always use flash from in Click2Flash then - problem solved. ;)

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
I hate flash so much. I hope they go away forever in next 5 years. Html 5 for the win. Battery life goes down so much with flash video.

gw1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2007
Soon you won't need Flash Block in Chrome. The dev version of chrome has 'click to play' built-in as an option on flash. So far the dev version has been reliable for me, but those who don't want to live nearer the cutting edge can wait for the feature to hit the stable version of Chrome.

Interesting to hear this about Chrome - would be great to see this built in to Safari too.

I did wonder if Apple binning Flash was just some commercial spat, but I can really see the advantage. Flash could well find itself on the way out, particularly if the new MPA sales take off as predicted.

In the meantime, I'm just thrilled to get the extra battery life!

nok123

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2009
Recently installed Flash Block extension in Chrome on my MacBook Air Rev. C.

Initial results on battery life are encouraging.

Loonytik

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
I installed the extension in Firefox and it really isn't too annoying. It gives a play button over anything playing Flash so if I want to see it I just click play, simple as that.

digitaldave

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2006
I'd love to know if there's a difference in battery life between removing flash completely and installing ClickToFlash. I currently don't have flash installed, but it's a bit of a pain as there's a few sites where I occasionally want to run flash content.

Anyone got any experience with this?

gw1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2007
Interesting if that's possible - so you don't have to have flash installed, just "click to flash" and you can still play the flash if you click on it?

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
I'd love to know if there's a difference in battery life between removing flash completely and installing ClickToFlash. I currently don't have flash installed, but it's a bit of a pain as there's a few sites where I occasionally want to run flash content.

Anyone got any experience with this?

I don't see why there should be a difference in battery life between the two. Either way the Flash application/movie isn't running, which is what kills the battery life.

Interesting if that's possible - so you don't have to have flash installed, just "click to flash" and you can still play the flash if you click on it?

You need to have the Flash plugin installed if you want to play Flash, whether it's automatically or with ClickToFlash.

T4R06

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2007
CT
got question guys about microsoft silverlight.. first thing i did on my MBA is to install clicktoflash.. its amazing. but how about this silverlight. does this as the same as flash? i need to install this because of netlix..

digitaldave

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2006
I don't see why there should be a difference in battery life between the two. Either way the Flash application/movie isn't running, which is what kills the battery life.

I have no idea how flash works, so I was wondering if there's a difference between loading it but not running it (as in click to flash) vs not loading it in the first place. I guess you are right, if it isn't actually running, then it's not using up power.

MisterEd

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2006
I have no idea how flash works, so I was wondering if there's a difference between loading it but not running it (as in click to flash) vs not loading it in the first place. I guess you are right, if it isn't actually running, then it's not using up power.

From what I can see, the Click to Flash extension doesn't even load the flash content unless you click it (after click, takes a good few seconds to load and render). In which case, you're saving both power AND bandwidth :)

EggrollShop

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2009
Just installed Flash Block for Chrome and I gotta say I love it! I was a bit skeptical at first after reading some of the comments on the Google's site saying that it did't work well with youtube, but I am happy to report that I have had no such issue.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
This thread title is misleading.

Simply having Flash installed on your Mac doesn't impact battery life. Using Flash most certainly will. Granted, there are those who use it and don't realize that they are using it (ads, etc.) but there is no reason to take Flash off your Mac and get some miracle "boost" to battery life.

Just choose when you use it. I'd rather have it when I need it and take the hickie on battery life than not have it installed on here at all and get the infamous empty video panel.

gwsat

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2008
Tulsa
This thread title is misleading.

Simply having Flash installed on your Mac doesn't impact battery life. Using Flash most certainly will. Granted, there are those who use it and don't realize that they are using it (ads, etc.) but there is no reason to take Flash off your Mac and get some miracle "boost" to battery life.

Just choose when you use it. I'd rather have it when I need it and take the hickie on battery life than not have it installed on here at all and get the infamous empty video panel.
Until today, I had not installed any of the flash blocking apps or extensions and my MBA's battery life was still significantly better than I had expected it to be. A few minutes ago, however I did install the FlashBlock for Chrome extension. Will report further when and if I get a read on how it works.

alflavor

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2010
Whittlesey, UK
I played with click to flash in Safarif, but being new to mac and preferring Chrome, I'm going to hang fire for the update to chrome that will hopefully deal with flash in a similar manner!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.