Lose Weight for High School

Discussion in 'Community' started by dotdotdot, Jun 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

1. Don't buy diet food...

2. Read the label...

3. And you'll find the portion sizes are rather silly...

4. Slow down and actually chew your food.

2. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Well, I am in to physical fitness, I go to the gym once a day. I'm in pretty good shape. Should be starting QB for our varsity team in about 3 months! Anyways, I'm not sure if a vegetarian diet is best for you. All you need to do is burn more calories than you take in. The best way to burn calories is...

RUN

No biking, no swimming, none of that. Just go out and jog. I run on the treadmill at the gym, and after goin at around 8mph for a mile, I am sweating badly and I am tired. If I go on the bike and ride at 12mph for a mile, I'm not even winded.

You may want to take some supplements. I recommend www.bodybuilding.com

It is a site with forums, a store, etc. Their prices are insanely good!

This product seems to be VERY popular among people that want to lose fat.

This would be my day if I wanted to lose 30lbs...

Wake up, RUN (before eating). When you run right when you wake up, your body had little to no carbs in its system. It will go straight for the fat reserves, and burn the fat.

Come home, drink some water, eat something healthy.

No whole milk or 2% milk (just 1% or no fat), no fatty mayo (lo-fat), no cheese, none of that crap.

Protein is the way.

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yeah, running is good, but honestly, swimming is good too. I don't believe its as good as running, but hey, do what's best for you.

I have shin splints right now, so I can't even run. So if you run, make sure you're running on grass sometimes, not just pavement. You can run on the treadmill if you want, but running outside is less boring and I think time passes by faster.

Also, lift some weights and do those exercises. Don't just use the treadmill/step-machine like some girls. That's just what I heard. Don't use the big weights, but use the small weights and do lots of reps at a time. Muscle in your body is used to burn fat and carbs for energy, so if you don't have muscle, your body won't have the means to use up stored energy.

And when you eat, make sure you're drinking fluids as well. Notice that when you eat and don't drink anything, you may not feel full, but if you drink a glass of water afterwards, you seem to get full very very quickly? Well, if you drink liquid as you eat, you may have a better gauge of whether you're full or not.

Um..... and use common sense.

4. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

a friend of mine lost 35 pounds in about the same period of time by doing nothing different but going on a strict vegan diet. he already ran before that, but once he went vegan he lost *tons* of weight. i have no idea why, but it worked for him lol.

i really need to lost a lot of weight too, and i keep telling myself i will but...never have. good luck. :)

5. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

My sister cut wheat and dairy from her diet for medical reasons and lost 15 pounds within 15 days. I did the same and lost the same. So, cutting wheat and dairy from your diet might do you a lot of good, and it isn't unhealthy to do so like some may lead you to believe. As long as you keep a well rounded diet, you should stay healthy.

I have since quitted my diet, and I haven't put the weight back on.

scem0

6. swy32x macrumors regular

I love swimming - but I can't run. So, do whatever's best for you, and I find that is swimming for me.

Also don't eat between meals, regular stuff. Stay healthy. I eat three pieces of fruit a day, do that as much as possible. Apples, bananas, mandarins, kiwi fruits, grapes, whatever, it's all good.

Have some fun with it. Try felafels for a vegetarian meal, and make sure you leave the house when somebody cooks lasagna!

Good luck.

7. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

I believe trying to lose weight that fast is not that great for your health, by the seems of the way you plan on going by it. I recommend have what is recommended of 5 vegs and 2 fruit servings a day, followed with jogging and weights. You still will lose weight fast but your body will love you. BTW continue to eat meat just cut back to 1/3 of you dinner and one serve a day, with at least 2 days of a week eating fish.

8. dotdotdot thread starter macrumors 68020

9. iGary Guest

iGary

30-40 minutes of aerobic excercise (non stop) per day.

Eat sensibly and watch your portions.

Try to increase your water intake to 4 liters a day.

You should see the weight come off pretty nicely.

10. dotdotdot thread starter macrumors 68020

11. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

if your doing this for yourself... good reason. if your doing this so u can get a girl, not so go reason.. though i wish you luck in your endeavours lol.. but hey i say get to the gym everyday and spend at least 30 to 45 min there every day.. sans sunday... rotate between aerobics and weight lifting and watch what you eat as well.. try to avoid those snacks..
    ;)

12. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

As my avatar displays, I have been quite the pig of late.

I have started losing wieght, 12lbs in the last 14 days. The first part is the easiest to lose. My goal is 185# on Aug 20th. I am 208 this morning.

There is no free lunch, pardon the pun. simple is easy to remember and do.

1. Eat a sensable breakfast, fruit is wonderful, melons and citrus are best.
    2. Workout for 45 min of arobic exercise before breakfast.
    3. Drink only Water, A cup of coffe, A glass of OJ, A zero cal soda. Do not drink any calories other than above, and drink water till you sleep walk to the john.
    4. Eat healthy stuff in small amounts throughout the day, When you feel hungry your body starts shutting down fat burn, trying to conserve. I have fruit, salsa and saltines, water, grilled chicken, throughout the day.
    5. excersise 45 minutes sometime from 4pm to 6pm, your metabolism slows after 8 hours, this will jump start it again to burn calories (fat).
    6. I NEVER EAT ANYTHING AFTER 7:30 PM, NOTHING, NADA, ZILCH!

This is the most sensical way to lose, it is a culmination of internet reading. There are many foods that suposedly take more calories to digest than they contain, sometimes misnamed NegCalorieFoods. Those are good to eat and snack on, but don't drink their coolaid.
    Treat yourself to some Edy's Slow Churn ice cream, 1/2 cup on day 7.
    Keep an upbeat, positive attitude. Neg attitudes and depression actually stimualte hunger.
    Park your car on the other side of the parking lot, use the stairs, walk to the store/church/friends house.

Read the internet about what makes your body tick, and lose wieght. Good luck, make goals, stick to the routine, don't be discouraged when your wieght plateau's, more loss is on the way. No pizza, No transfats, No sugar drinks, No alcohol, Lots of water, excercise 2x a day for 45 minutes or more. Best to excercise in late afternoon, Second best to do it on an empty stomach (except water) before breakfast. Take a multi vitamin! Tell your friends and family what you are doing, and that you need their help.

13. iGary Guest

iGary

Walk very briskly (I lost 50 lbs one summer with 5 days a wek of fast walking alone.

Jogging.

Biking (continuous peddling, no coasting).

Swiiming (continuous).

14. Nanda Devi macrumors regular

One other piece of advice... if you currently drink regular soda or drink a lot of juices, STOP. But don't replace it with diet soda, either... just drink LOTS of water.

And I definitely second what most people have already said - get out and jog and lift weights if possible (if you don't belong to a gym, get some free weights to use at home). But the jogging/running is key because it's the quickest way to burn calories. Go for as long as you can as often as possible.

15. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

The key to weight loss

My friend I was in the same boat as you. At 315 pounds with a height of 6'6" I was done being the fat kid. What I did was simply cut all the crap out of my like (McDonalds, Taco Bell, Burger King) and focused more on vegetables and good meat such as Ham and Turkey. In a way I went on the Subway diet where I had a bowl of Corn Flakes in the morning and then a 6 inch sub for lunch (usually the vegetable delight or club or whatever that consisted of only vegetables) and then for dinner I had a footlong Turkey Breast with the occasional bag of Baked Lays. After a while though the subway diet became a little pricy so I just went to the grocery store and got supplies to make my own sandwhiches. Remember NO mayonaise and NO ketchup but you can say YES to mustard.

Not only do you have to eat healthy but you have to exercise alot to. How I exercised I went on an elyptical machine for 15-30 minutes on a high level (10) everyday (except Sunday I took that day off)

70 pounds later I achieved my goal of 245 pounds. I started my diet in the beginning of summer and ended it around November (just in time for Thanksgiving :))

16. jcgerm macrumors member

Aerobic exercise in its broad sense isn't enough in the long run (no pun intended). Aerobic exercise is continuous movement, but what you really need to do is cardio once you can do it. With cardio, you keep your heart rate up doing some intense aerobic exercise. Yes, walking does burn more calories immediately, but running will cause you to burn so much more over the course of a day.

Cardio combined with weight training is the way to go. Check out forum.bodybuilding.com. There are lots of people who can help you there. What you need is a plan and to stick to it.

17. CelticBhoy macrumors member

Plan A : Go on the Atkins diet. You'll feel full earlier, and lose weight. But you'll get lots of wind coming out from all directions, which is a bit of a pain seeing as you're trying to pull a burd.

Plan B : use your personality to attract the chicks. But it's likely that only the fat ones will be interested, though.

18. sjjordan macrumors 6502

Exactly right. As a medical student, let me give you the physiological response of trying to lose that much weight. You put yourself at amazingly high risk for developing gall bladder stones. In fact, you might find that instead of enjoying the pool party, you're in surgery having a few gall stones removed.

Ideally, you want to lose 1-2 lbs a week. You didn't gain 30lbs in 2 months; you can't lose 30lbs (safely) in 2 months, besides liposuction. Here's how things basically break down.

Cut out all sources of high calories ("calorically dense food") such as pizza, candy, and especially non-diet sodas.

You don't need to be a vegan and, if you want to look good, you need protein to build the muscle that you want to have.

Exercise and work out every day. Don't start off running 10 miles a day. Make a plan that gradually increases your distance/weights and keep to it.

Avoid supplements, because no long term studies have been done on their safety. Just eat healthy and increase your metabolic energy.

Shoot for 30 lbs of weight loss by the end of the year. You can achieve that. I'm not saying you can't lose 30lbs in 2 months, I'm just trying to show you that it's very dangerous to do. Good luck

19. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

don't go to baskin roboins almost every night of the week, and get 2 scoops of cookies and cream, with hershey choc. syrup....like someone on this forum..(me) :eek: ( i have a fast metabolism, being young is great!)

20. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

All you have to do is eat more food. Like grain, fruits and you also need some meat. But you also have to workout more. Eat more and workout more. You will gain muscle and loose fat.

My dad did that and lost like 15 pounds of fat and gain like 10 pounds of muscle. Sign up for 24 hour fitness with a personal instructor. They are way better then the workout machines.

Then run every day, or almost everyday. Good Luck! Thats how I get all the babes!

Oh, and if you can't loose the wieght, do this: Get tan, put on a white t-shirt with slightly baggy pants. Then mess up your hair a little. It might awork but I don't know. I just thought of it like 2 seconds ago.

Oh and one more thing. There is this cool pill called Juice Plus. I get it for free, and it's packed with nutirients! Helps me stay in shape!(and buff)

https://www.juiceplus.com

Warning: G5Unit may have made him sound better than he acually is even though he is still 13 and dosen't have a girl that loves him. He just has a bunch of friends that are girls. He is in good shape.

21. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

Swimming is probably one of the best things you could do for yourself. Running is actually somewhat unhealthy especially on your feet. I know someone that went running a lot and has a stress fracture in his foot.

but loosing or gaining a lot of weight in a short amount of tiem is also bad for your heart

22. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

I don't know how many people that happens to. During football I am running 90% of the time during the 2 1/2 hours we practice.

I just think when I run, I get a way better workout than when I swim.

23. Supa_Fly macrumors 68030

Supa_Fly

Graze my man

dotdotdot.

Lots of things to consider & do!

1) Not sure the hours of your gym (hope its 24hrs), but YOU NEED TO GO. Even when your NOT IN THE MOOD. Mood is a thing for Cattle & love-making. Even if, and especially if your bored. Most people get overweight by eating when their bored, my wife does at times. Go work out. But have a plan.

-> No fancy exercises, the basics. Combine exercises that compliment body movement. Bicep Curls with Barbell Rows or using a rowing machine. Shoulder Press + Bench Press, Dumbell Flyes. Dont go heavy weights for at least 4 weeks - get used to doing proper movement, & you should have a spotter. Remember NO more than 1 minute rest between sets of the same exercise! You want to keep your heart rate at a higher consistant level during the entire exercise.

2) Consider looking in your fridge & in the cabinets - look at the foods you love to eat. I love meat too, but you want lean meat. Tuna is cheap and great but I have issues thinking about dolphins. Chicken is also good, Top Sirloin Stake, Outside Round Roast. But Whey Isolate protein is THE best. Try lowering your carbohydrates intake; let your body during exercise burn the stored fuel. you'll find in the next 3 weeks that you drink more water than you've been used to, thats a good sign.

Aerobic excercise has to be combined with weight training to be incredibly effective. :eek: Skipping, is seriously great for boosting ones heart rate quickly - exactly why boxers do it. Jogging is also great but can get boring if done inside a gym - no movement of scenery or repeated scenery - so dont forget that iPod. Rowers are great too, cyling is perfect. Why? Because when you go for a bike ride you get to explore your entire city. Look for places with hills, and you'll probably forget about time. Dont, I repeat, DONT carry more than 4 dollars with you on the bike ride. Thats for juice, a protein bar only. Not Joe Louis' (my BIG weakness) or whatever. ALso you should get a nice pump in your legs by the time you get home.

MOST IMPORTANTLY; remember to graze. Look at the musculature of horses - they eat more than 3 times a day. Look at the lack of musculature of say pigs. They dont eat as much and they barely move around. No offense here but I want you to realize that eating smaller meals say 5 times a day - no bigger than 1.5 times the size of your fist - is ideal. This will also increase your metabolism.

24. ChrisWB macrumors 6502

Dotdotdot,

The good news is you're young, so it's a lot easier for you to lose weight than it would be when you were older. Exercise a lot. Sweat for at least half an hour continuously, and drink lots of liquids. I have been a vegetarian for 9 years and I've maintained a healthy bodyweight the entire time. Once you get in to a routine of exercising and eating healthy (and that doesn't mean you can't enjoy good food), the pounds will drop away. It'll be amazing, trust me. The most important vegetarian-related thing in my opinion is to eat GOOD food that you enjoy. If you need suggestions, feel free to send me a private message. I can't stand tofu or most soy: I like good, hearty food. It just also has to be healthy.

Don't give up. This won't bother you now, but it is EXTREMELY hard to get health insurance if you're overweight. You will also have a harder time finding a job, and your life insurance premiums will be a lot higher. Beyond that, you are much more likely to die in your fifties from a heart attack if you're overweight. Think about that and remember you're doing this for yourself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.