Lose your job? Take a vacation!

Discussion in 'Community' started by MacDawg, Dec 23, 2004.

1. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Ever play "Chutes and Ladders"?

Ever get almost to the top, only to hit that looooong chute back down to the beginning? Well, that's what it feels like.
    When I lost my job, I was demoted back to the beginning, an entry level, front line job.

So, what do you do??
    You take an extended vacation to get your head back on straight (and to get the holidays off!).

I don't report back to work till after the first of the year (Jan. 3rd to be exact).
    Then, after a week of 'temporary work' I get to go to the basic training class. Funny, I used to teach that class to new hires!

So far I have...
    Updated and cleaned up my iMac
    Bought an external HD (250 Gig LaCie at the Apple Store)
    Backed up all of my files
    Cleaned out the basement (what a mess!)
    Made 2 trips to the dump (old refrig, basketball goal, gas grill too)
    Read The Bourne Identity
    Started The Bourne Supremacy
    Stacked firewood

All in all, I would say the time has been somewhat productive.

However, I still have 2 weekends and all of next week.

Any suggestions as to how to spend the rest of my time???

Woof, Woof - Dawg

2. emw macrumors G4

emw

Well, you could:

1. Focus on building your macrumors status by posting more often in your time off.

2. See if your wife can take the day off too and spend some time together doing something you don't normally do.

3. Take down Christmas decorations before the New Year

4. Plan a New Year's Eve party.

5. Exercise to work off holiday pounds.

6. Return gifts while everyone else is back at work.

7. Watch a good movie or two.

8. Volunteer somewhere.

9. Give blood.

10. Relax and enjoy your time off.

3. MacDawg thread starter macrumors P6

MacDawg

5. Exercise to work off holiday pounds.
    I do need to do something before I start back to physical labor. The work is hard, and since it is outside, it is made worse by the cold weather, rain, etc. I'll get to work on this.

7. Watch a good movie or two.
    A friend loaned me the first season of "24" on DVD and I plan to watch that (he as season 2 and 3 as well. Don't think I can watch them all before the new season starts though! If I did I would probably feel like one of the characters. I've never watched it, but always wanted to, so I'm looking forward to this.

10. Relax and enjoy your time off.
    Definitely plan to do this! Although it is already getting on my wife's nerves. "What are you going to do today!"

Thanks for the suggestions!!

Woof, Woof - Dawg

4. Inkmonkey macrumors 6502

Sweet Holiday Howler Monkeys!
    You could:

1. Dig a hole.

2. Chase some cats.

3. Sleep lots.

4. Fetch the paper.

5. Lick your ....

5. apple2991 macrumors 6502

Definitely, as mentioned, start an exercise routine up again.

Do some writing, fix something around the house, play guitar--whatever something is that you've been meaning to start/finish but haven't had the time to work on lately. Much satisfaction.

Go for a drive in the country. Or if the weather permits, hike.

Mentally prepare yourself for the work ahead. Although you might not like to think about it, being steadfast in your resolve is much better than avoiding thinking about it until the morning of.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help and I was saddened to hear about the loss of your job/demotion. Good luck.

6. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

All I can say is...

1. Enjoy your time off!

2. Avoid any suggestions with the word "buy" in it. :) Unless you can afford to do so, in which case, see 1. :p

7. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

DON'T plan a New Years Eve party. By now, most people have a good idea of their plans for that night. Spoken from experience, if you want a good new year's party, make the invites at least a month in advance (6 months for ultra-trendy metrosexuals).

DO start exercising, if you don't already. It's much easier to develop habits like that when you're on vacation... then just carry it over to normal time. Plus you can combine it with a new year's resolution...

okay, what i'm saying is, i need to start exercising again, so i'm projecting that on you. Hmm... maybe it's time for a vacation.

paul

8. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

MD, I might use the time to actively explore the local job market, prepare/update your resume and perhaps begin work on a new skill. Perhaps beginning to learn a new language (like spanish) would be helpful to your marketability and a good (and fun) skill to learn.

I know you are extremely well-educated and have job experience that is very applicable to a wide range of fields. I do not know what your responsibilities were in your old position, but if you want to stay near the airport, you might look into companies like DHL, UPS and FedEx, who need qualified people to manage their work at the airports and who are generally less apt to be unhealthy business models.

In this vein, perhaps get a new haircut and buy a new suit.

I also second the suggestion to do something nice with the wife.

9. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Most important, what ever you do, plan to spend time with your wife. See what she would like. Does she have the time off also?

10. oldschool macrumors 65816

oldschool

11. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Not a bad book - it was a little dense at times, but the characters and story line were very compelling, and the plot development really hooks you in. If you liked it I would definitely recommend that you read these two books, most likely availably at your library, otherwise cheap paperbacks on Amazon:

The First Billion, by Chris Reich

Numbered Account, by Chris Reich

Have fun! :)

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Let me ask you something: Can you actually get demoted back to a starting position within the same company like that? Is someone else hired to take your job?

If I were you, I'd find another job. From the other thread, you said you were Project Manager. It means something to another company out there. You have dealt with people working under you, and you have even taught the class you have to take as someone who's in a starting position.

That is crap. I hate it when people get treated like crap and take it standing up. If I were you, I would look for a job managing people, even in another industry. Your skills probably carry over to lots of different fields.

13. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Buy World of Warcrack and never do anything else for the rest of your life. :eek: