losing a priceless diamond

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by virividox, May 24, 2004.

1. goodwill macrumors regular

they did a report on this on Good Morning America this morning and they actually believe it is a publicity stunt to create awareness for the upcoming Ocean's 12 movie with George Clooney and Brad Pitt as they were seen also at this event with the driver of the Jaguar. Ocean's 12 takes place in Europe and deals with theft of Art and Jewels. Nice Irony and marketing.

2. Kid Red macrumors 65816

$200,000=priceless? Priceless means much much more then that, it's actually priceless.

Besides, at the bottom is said they were prepared for it otherwise they would not have taken the chance. What idiot would put a diamond on the nose of a race car and not be prepared for it to be lost in a crash?

3. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

Can't they just fire up the artificial diamond machine and make another one.

On a different note, I think even a diamond would be hard pressed to survive a Formula 1 car crash, especially if its at the point of contact. How do you think they cut and shape diamonds. Diamonds are not indestructible.

Maybe they should have put ... My Precioussssssss... in front of the car instead. :D :D :D

4. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

on the other hand... intentionally crashing an F1 car during a race? pretty risky stunt. if something had gone wrong and the driver had been killed, or some of the wreckage had gotten onto the track and caused a larger crash, all of a sudden there's much more than $200k on the line.

but yeah, the whole thing does sound kind of fishy.

5. goodwill macrumors regular

Even more fishy is they said it wasn't insured.

6. Sparky's macrumors 6502a

Sparky's

Ditto! you don't even remove a stone like that let alone pull a stupid stunt like this without insurance :eek:

By the way, did anyone find the $500,000 emerald I had on my Rollerblades when I fell on the bike path?? :D

Did anyone "SEE" this supposed gem before the race?

7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Not having it insured is just plain stupid. If it was intentional, I'm sure this will soon be another news headline :D

Probably broke into pieces on collision anyway...

D

8. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

It definitely wasn't intentional. Points in F1 are much more important that publicity for a movie sequel. Especially when your team is owned by Ford and you've basically failed to achieve anything in the five years of your (official) existence. (Jaguar won a race with Johnny Herbert when they were still the Stewart team).

9. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Almost forgot to mention. The cost of the diamond could probably cover the cost of the car's engine, maybe. Formula 1 is insanely expensive. Ferrari's budget last year was around $443 million (it's possibly less this year, the only team to go that way), and Jag's was $78 million, and might be almost double that this year. $200,000 is a drop in the bucket for these guys. Well, not Minardi. They spend more on car manufacturing than R&D :rolleyes:

10. m4rc macrumors 6502

A few points. Firstly, yes obviously a publicity stunt but I do not believe they would crash a car on purpose - far too much at risk. It is a publicity stunt in as much as the diamond probably never went missing. I managed marketing and publicity for a circus for a few years and you say stuff like this all the time to get talked about - tha amoutn of rolex watches apparantly swallowed by the elephant is un-real. Don't believe everything you read ;) However, a $200k diamond - which I agree is certainly not priceless (!) - is small money to a film studio going for publicity on a film. Not that the diamond is missing anyway.

As to the diamond being destroyed, no. Diamonds are not indestructable, but very nearly. The only way of cutting a diamond is with a diamond. The tools used are all edged and com prise of diamond - not precious, the stuff you use for drilling. So no, it would not have been crushed in the accident.

Just thought I would point some stuff out.

11. virividox thread starter macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    by using other diamonds

12. Apple //e macrumors 6502

who would insure a $200000 diamond placed on the nose of a f1 car during a race?

13. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    A lot of people. You figure that maybe 1 in 10 cars wrecks out of any given race. Call half of those side and rear only. You could probably buy the policy for around 15k.

14. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Um, I was in the diamond business for a few years, and diamonds are quite fragile. If you hit a larger one with a hammer it can shatter. Diamonds are generally cut with metal stock... a sharp blow calves at the "seam". Cheap diamonds are ground by a diamond-studded wheel. It's "hardness" factor is a bit misleading, as the Mohr scale determines hardness, and is based more on "what can SCRATCH what", not on its indestructability. Try hitting a steel bar with a sledge hammer. Break it? Now do the same with a diamond. Oops! Is steel scrap the hardest substance now??!!?
    Oh, and DeBeers controls the market big time, and has more diamonds hidden away than you can POSSIBLY imagine, assuring them top dollar by keeping the market from being saturated. It's all phoney dudes. Try ruby or emerald (both natural of course) for your honey!

15. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

Ruby or Emerald... how about Sapphires? Get the old Red, Green and Blue gemstones, and I could make a projection TV. :D

16. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

Exactly Les.

It's a misnomer that Diamonds are STRONG. They arent. They are only HARD.....

Think of it this way--glass isnt very strong, but it is hard. I can break a glass window very very easily, but I cant scratch it very easily. Same goes for diamonds.

Scratching a diamond is practically impossible, but chipping it or breaking it is a piece of cake.

17. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Stolen

Perhaps the diamond was stolen first and the crash was staged afterwards.

18. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

I here that, Diamonds are actually very common and not really worth much at all. But DeBeers owns pretty much every diamond mine and several have simply been shut down and closed off to keep the supply a trickle, thus keeping prices high. If someone discovers a source of diamonds somewhere, within days DeBeers has bought it and simply shut it down.

19. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I think that's already been ruled out. A finish in the points in a Formula 1 Grand Prix, (Monaco no less!) is worth much more than a $200k diamond or publicity for a movie sequel.