Losing internet connection after being idle

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Swordsman, Jan 26, 2004.

1. Swordsman macrumors newbie

Hi All,

Just wanted to get some feedback...

I seem to be losing my internet connection after being idle for after 15 minutes or so. I can't think of why this would happen. I've checked my DSL modem and airport, but nothing. The connection will come on only after I reset the modem, router and airport.

Does anyone else have this problem? I'm running Panther on a 1 ghz 17PB. Thanks!

2. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

The fact that you have to reset your modem, router, airport seems to indicate a problem with your setup or connection rather than your computer.

I would first try to connect your mac directly to the DSL modem and see if you experience the same problem. If you do have the same problem, then there is a problem with your DSL and you will probably have to call your ISP for support. If not, I would add in the router and then check for timeout issue, finally add in the airport and see if you have the problem. Whereever it fails may give you an indication of your problem.

Also, when you lose the connection I would check to see if you mac still has an IP, then check the airport, then the router.

3. Thirteenva macrumors 6502a

Alot of dsl providers will "disconnect" you after periods of idle time. I know however that with my router (netgear not airport) you can set it to either "keep connection alive" or it just logs back into the system automatically (my router had me input my dsl username and password when setting it up for ppoe). It logs you back into the service after being idle and gets a new IP from the dhcp pool.