losing USB with BootCamp on a Mini

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Fred Horan, Oct 16, 2006.

1. Fred Horan macrumors newbie

I am temporarily losing USB under Windows XP on a Mac Mini. I hear a "Device Disconnect" followed by a "Device Connect" alarm within 2 seconds of the disconnect. The event appears to be random, unrelated to anything I am doing at the time. After hearing the first alarm, I am unable to use the mouse or the keyboard. After the second alarm, the mouse and the keyboard are again avialable.

There is no problem on the MacOS side. I even wrote a program to repeatedly query the system-profiler to make sure that there was no temporary change in the number of USB devices on the MacOS side (and let the program run for several hours without an indication of USB loss). (I can query the Mini about 10 times a second. As a result, I do not think the hardware problem is associated with the keyboard or the mouse.

My suspicion is that it is a Windows driver problem. After updating the Windows drivers under BootCamp v1.1, the problem was much reduced but did not go away. Before the update, the temporary loss of USB would happen once an hour or more. Now it happens once in 6 hours.

Has anyone else seen this kind of behavior? Does anyone have any suggestions about how to fix the problem?

TIA,
    Fred Horan

2. drval macrumors member

I may be experiencing something similar but, unfortunately, my problem is more severe and, as yet, I have found no solution.

I use a KeySpan 19HS USB-serial converter so as to connect an external (serial port) piece of measurement equipment. There is NO work-around for that interface, so I have to have the USB-serial conversion work. It worked fine in Boot Camp v1.0 but now that I've updated to v1.1.1 I can get NO connection from the USB port. Frequently it tries to load a Microsoft Serial Mouse driver, which is the default Windows behavior for "unrecognized" serial devices.

I'm really stumped and would appreciate any ideas.