Loss of detail

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Belly-laughs, Feb 3, 2006.

1. Belly-laughs macrumors 6502a

Belly-laughs

I´m experiencing loss of detail in background windows, desktop icons, etc. It´s all very bright and lacks contrast. What´s going on?

[​IMG]

Help sorting this out is highly appreciated!

Thanks!

2. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Looks about right on my monitor (the pinstripes in the Mail background and the subtle graduation in the menu bar are clearly visible, those usually aren't visible with a too-bright signal), I would try calibrating your Mac (System Preferences, Displays, Color tab, Calibrate…, and check the Expert options button for more control). Also make sure your monitor itself has decent settings (see if Contrast or Brightness are turned all the way up, for example). Also make sure your monitor is terminated. If you use a VGA signal looping through something like a projector or a KVM switch or something, it needs to be properly terminated or you'll get overly bright, blown-out details such as you describe. Easiest thing would be to plug it into another monitor, if you have one available, that will narrow down where the problem is.

3. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Just wanted to add that you could first try clicking on a few different calibration presets in the window before going through a whole calibration process yourself, chances are one of them will make it look pretty close to being correct if a miscalibration is the culprit.

4. Belly-laughs thread starter macrumors 6502a

Belly-laughs

Thanks! If you see the graphic as normal, it must be something to do with my system: G5 with Cinema Display. After reading your reply I tried logging in as a different user and everything´s fine – no hardware issue at least. It´s as if it only displays 256 colours. I´ve tried other colour profiles and done a re-calibration. Colours are set to millions. Still looks bad.

Perhaps there´s a preference file gone corrupt? But which one?

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

In the Universal Access pane of System Preferences, is Contrast set to Normal? :)

6. Belly-laughs thread starter macrumors 6502a

Belly-laughs

That´s it! The Universal Access Contrast function has a keyboard shortcut that must have been pressed by accident.

I was a bit worried there for a while…

This is fantastic! Thanks for the help, both of you! :)

7. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Hah! Forgot about that one!