Lost a HD.... and thus all music on it...

Discussion in 'iPod' started by willybNL, Sep 13, 2006.

1. willybNL macrumors 6502

Lost a HD.... and thus all music on it... iTunes is telling me I already downloaded all music, and i can't re-download it...

Is there a way to get the music again? All those $$ i spend on it would be waste if i lost them now due to the HD.

2. CEAbiscuit macrumors 6502a

CEAbiscuit

If the music is on an iPod you can use a app like iPodRip to retrieve your music. Works pretty well in a pinch.

3. willybNL thread starter macrumors 6502

Nope... it was only avaiable on that HD.... no raid, no ipod, no backup (to much mb's :).

Can't imagen apple did not make a solution for this as people really spend a lot of money in it... no way to download it twice?

4. Keebler macrumors 68030

well, i feel your pain willy, but i don't imagine you'll get alot of sympathy. backups are the customer's responsibility. even when you buy something from itunes, there is a message reminding you to backup. you can always buy a bigger backup HD or burn to DVDs (i have 26 such DVDs, plus an external dedicated solely for itunes/iphoto backups).

back to your dead HD...search for 'data recovery' on the net. if you haven't tried writing to the HD, some sites can ping/search/directorize (if that's a word), your HD and then for a fee, allow you to dload the contents. i did this a few years ago after my boss' wife told me it was ok to wipe a hd and later told me it wasn't..doh.

some sites offer it right online or others request that you send your HD in. there is 1 fee for scanning your HD and then a more expensive one for retrieving it for you.

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q="data+recovery"&meta=

i can't remember which one i used.

best of luck,
    keebler

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

lesson learned: always backup.

apple tell you to back up with every purchase, which is why they aren't going to give you much sympathy. you can try contacting them about re-downloading your purchased music, they they are not obligated to allow you to re-download it.

6. Keebler macrumors 68030

http://www.recovermyfiles.com/#

i think that is the one i used...

7. DVNIEL macrumors 6502a

DVNIEL

8. willybNL thread starter macrumors 6502

Well... they could make a lot of money if they say: ok... so you already payed it... pay $0.05 extra to download to 2nd computer....

Just a backup of licences should be suffient for music to backup... a little creative they could be for this kind of stuff :)

(yep... send it to that adress above)

9. willybNL thread starter macrumors 6502

Problem solved by an e-mail to apple.
    Thnx guys.