Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
I backed for a single Tile. Listen, if these guys are successful, these things (either Tiles, or other things much like them) will be down to a few bucks each in the next few years. At which point it only lasting a year is no big deal. But they have to get some traction.

And really... It's a nickel per day for a year, folks. If that's truly a deal-breaker, time to upgrade your life. :rolleyes: I don't even pick up pennies when I see them on the street. I could easily pay for a Tile for a year if I did, times several.

I've a marketing position open here. A nickel per day? Who calculates stuff like that? No, it's a rip off, in that you can't simply pop in a new battery like stickandfind; deliberately. So the more business you give them, the bigger next year's bill will be. It's a joke. Their business model is practially preying on stupid people.

Nicky G

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2002
Baltimore
I've a marketing position open here. A nickel per day? Who calculates stuff like that? No, it's a rip off, in that you can't simply pop in a new battery like stickandfind; deliberately. So the more business you give them, the bigger next year's bill will be. It's a joke. Their business model is practially preying on stupid people.

Get a job

rGiskard

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2012
Of course, one grows dependent on the tiles, and then loses his iPhone, he wont even be able to drive his car. D'oh!

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
Watched to see the hot chick (shes pretty hot). Kinda lame to pay $19 a year. Problem is I lose my phone more than anything but I guess I could stick one on that and find it from my laptop?

coolspot18

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2010
Canada

StickNFind seems to support Android just fine. Weird.

----------

And for people complaining about the cloud-find not having enough people? Obviously not at first - but when it gets enough users, in a largish city you would presumably have it.

Perhaps, but there is no standardized app nor protocol to communicate with these tags, therefore making mass acceptance low. I doubt there are many people that are willing to pay 20.00 per tag per year.

Also, funny how the commercial said this is a revolutionary idea when several other companies have already done the same thing.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
StickNFind seems to support Android just fine. Weird...

From the reviews I could find, it doesn't seem like StickNFind supports any devices just fine.

(Of course, at this point Tile is vaporware and doesn't support any devices either.)

IDK -- I haven't used StickNFind, but the reviews are so bad I'm not inclined to try. I hope Tile is better, but maybe it doesn't make a difference (to me): it's probably too costly for me even if it works well.

glowdragon

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2007
Kenosha, WI
Screw the chick that had her bike stolen. Look at that apartment. And she has TWO Eames lounge chairs! She can EASILY afford another bike or twelve.

Kwill

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2003
Alternatives?

Which other one? Sticknfind's range is 100 feet. Tile's range is 50-150 feet, "depending on the environment". The Zomm's rang is 30 feet as far as I can tell.

The concept is not novel. The distinguishing characteristic is reliability. Some products are cheaply manufactured and don't seem to work well. Others bypass the iPhone and include their own handheld homing device.

I would like the Tile to last more than a year. Think through the business model though. Manufacturing a product with user-replaceable batteries means the revenue source will sharply decline after reaching critical mass within a few years. At this point, it may be difficult to maintain the lost-and-found network and other infrastructure. This is essentially the model Apple uses for it's all-in-one devices.

Having said that, my concern is the environmental impact of discarding millions of Tiles each year. I would rather see a program in place that allows users to ship them back or, better yet, take them into an Apple store to have the battery replaced for $9.

Last edited:

katiabanessa

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2013
Only works with iOS. Chances of it being in range of someone else with the Tile app if your device gets stolen are almost non-existant.

There are a number of products out there already just like this for much less and that have a much smaller footprint so you can place them inside devices like laptops.

Can you please say the names of this other devices that you're mentioning? Perhaps also a link?

thanks

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
Closing in on $1.25M in pre-sales

Critics can say what they like -- and may well be right -- but this product is closing in on $1.25M in pre-sales. $1.5M seems like a sure thing, and a total $2M in pre-sales in the next 6 days is certainly possible.

inck243

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I don't care so much about the battery... Especially if it might be possible to crack it open and just put a new one in on your own. This product lost me at shipping in winter of 2013 OR 2014 :confused:

So basically this thing says it's not even ready to be manufactured yet and we're not sure when it will be. Also if we encounter any strokes of misfortune such as manufacturing, financial or technical issues, we have to tell you that we might not ever be able to ship the product. Oh, and we can't guarantee that it will work either so if any of this happens, we will not be offering refunds.

Seems like this company is just taking "pre-orders" to gain the money that they need to continue developing and manufacturing the product, because they didn't want to give away any equity to investors.

Reveal Labs, Inc. (the "Company") will use reasonable commercial efforts to deliver the products as described. You understand that the products are under development, and numerous technical, financial, and practical obstacles may interfere with their delivery to you and with their functioning thereafter. Accordingly, the Company does not promise that the products will be delivered to you on time or at all, or that they will function in accordance with their promotional descriptions. THE COMPANY MAKES NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, WITH RESPECT TO THE PRODUCTS OR ANY OTHER SUBJECT MATTER HEREOF, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE OR NONINFRINGEMENT. YOU ASSUME ALL RISK AS TO THE DELIVERY AND PERFORMANCE OF THE PRODUCTS. NEITHER THE COMPANY NOR ITS DISTRIBUTORS OR SUPPLIERS SHALL HAVE ANY LIABILITY TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON OR ENTITY FOR ANY (I) INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES WHATSOEVER, EVEN IF THEY HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES, OR EVEN IF FORESEEABLE, OR (II) AMOUNTS IN THE AGGREGATE IN EXCESS OF TEN DOLLARS (US$10.00). SOME STATES DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF LIABILITY FOR CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES, AND SO PARTS OF THE ABOVE LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. The foregoing disclaimers and limitation on liability shall not apply to bodily injury. Regardless of whether the products are delivered or performed, you agree you will not seek a refund or other compensation, by action against the Company, or by reversal or chargeback of your payment, or by any other means whatsoever. In the event that any part of this provision shall be held by a court or other tribunal of competent jurisdiction to be illegal, invalid or unenforceable, such provisions shall be limited or eliminated to the minimum extent necessary so that this provision shall otherwise remain in full force and effect.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Both have their pros and cons.

The tile has a built-in alarm sound. This is fantastic for instantly finding your item nearby. Unless you are deaf. Tile is also waterproof, a plus if you're using it a lot outdoors (e.g. damp rainy cities like London, Seattle, Atlantis, etc)

Con: the tile's non-replaceable one-year battery is a bummer. :(

Stick-N-Go.... battery can be replaced by standard bats, cost a few dollars each if you know where to look. But no built-in alarm, bummer. Also not sure about the longevity of the sticker part. If used on a keychain or an item with a lot of motion and daily scuffing use (keychain, your pet's collar, etc) I can see the sticky stickers peeling off in a few months. Then what? Use crazy glue? LOL

Neither one is perfect. I'll hold off until someone makes an item that addresses the above issues.

SirHaakon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2007
This thing seemed really cool until I saw the price. $25 for EACH tile - a small inch of plastic with a battery inside that dies within a year? Are you kidding?

Dhowart

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2013
Am I the only one that noticed that the iPhone used in the commercial looked bigger? Maybe the it was a little editing done to make the screen look bigger but it was almost as if it was the real deal? Next iPhone?

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Wonder if that's an iPhone 6 bezel less prototype or just video editing skils?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 82
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.