Lost data after signing out

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Christina99, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Christina99 macrumors newbie

Aug 13, 2006
    I have lost now 2 times data after shutting down the computer:
    The first time was after I made user accounts on the mac, and when I restarted the computer everything was lost and formatted, and I couldn't access certain folders anymore on the harddisc: like photo's, video's, ...
    I thought it was because of making the user accounts, so I thought it wouldn't happen anymore.
    Now, it happened again, but it didn't touch my harddisc, and I can access all my files. Except:
    -all downloads in i tunes are gone, it's blanco
    -my desktop is cleared
    -my dock is formatted to default settings
    -Mail has been formatted, all settings are gone
    -Bookmarks are gone
    The only thing that happened when I shut down the mac for the last time was that Mail didn't respond, and I couldn't shut down the computer.
    I had to 'force stop' Mail and then shut down the mac.
    It happens on other occasions, but only with Mail or Firefox.
    Mystery to me.
    Please, I don't want this to happen again, all my work is lost and I have to start over again. I only have this mac a month and it has happened 2 times.(though differently)
    How do i retrieve my data?
    Do I delete all accounts? Maybe then it won't happen anymore(because mayeb it doesn't recognise the account anymore)
  2. Christina99 thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 13, 2006
    Help me

So someone told me that it's probably because I renamed my user account that it makes a new account...
    Now, does someone know HOW I can retrieve my old account, with all my settings??!!
    please please please
    I need help badly
  3. generik macrumors 601

Aug 5, 2005
  4. sushi Moderator emeritus

Jul 19, 2002
    How did you do this?

What steps did you take, exactly.