Lost disk space?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by skuliaxe, Sep 28, 2006.

1. skuliaxe macrumors newbie

Sep 28, 2006
    My girfriends Macintosh (Mac PowerBook G4 running MacOSX) seems to be eating up diskspace.
    Her HDD was full the other da so se deleted some 30Gb (of 80Gb) and since then she has only installed very small apps (under 10mb) and/or downloaded some media but deleted it again later. But her diskspace has gone from 30Gb to 8Gb...

So I'm looking for a program:
    A) A disk utility to clean up her disk?
    B) A utility that shows where all her space is, some kind of scimatic or something (I have heard someone talk about something like this but I don't remember who it was) but I think the program shows somehow where on the drive all the used space is...
    C) Anything else you recomend?

P.s.: I'm asking for my girlfriend and I'm a PC guy, but is there some kind of uninstall prosess in MacOSX or does one just throgh a app folder in the trash?
  2. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

Jul 27, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Generally speaking, you just need to drop the app into the trash from the applications folder. But there are some exceptions. Try a restart to see if you regain any of the lost space, it may be a log file growing too large, or something eating up memory for some other reason. let us know.
  3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Jan 20, 2005
    These are often runaway log files...use WhatSize or OmniDiskSweeper to identify the culprit and then delete it. Don't worry about what caused it unless you're really curious or it happens again.
  4. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

Jan 28, 2005
    American Riviera
    You might also try the program WhatSize, to find the offending culprit.

Edit: too slow...
  5. clevin macrumors G3

Aug 6, 2006
  6. skuliaxe thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 28, 2006
    Thank you all for the (quick) replies, I will check out these programs and tell you the results.

The Reboot freed 1Gb of space.

One last question, she also mentioned that the computer has been getting very slow. Startup is not taking a longer time that is should, but after she loggs in (straight after the restart) it take a abnormal long time to load everything.

First the "loading" cursor is the only thing to appear for a whole 2-3 minutes! The computer is reading the disk the whole time, then after that everything starts to pop in.
    P.s.: Only programs that start-up with OSX is Skype and Finder, so It shouldn't be because of to many programs loading.