Lost Drive Space??!?!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by ump3, Jan 12, 2004.

1. ump3 macrumors member

ump3

Help! My internal drive (60gb) is partitioned into 2x30gb Partitions. The system (10.2.8) is on the partition 1. I was experiencing directory problems with partition 2 and backed up (to my External firewire drive), when I restarted it said I had only 1.5gb on partition 2 of the drive (not remaining but in total) and all of the file sizes were set to 'zero kb'. Now when I open Disk Utility it says I only have a 31.5gb drive installed and not a 60gb! I tried starting up from the OSX CD and opening Disk Utility from there it also said I have only 31.5gb of total space on the drive. How can this be? What can be making my internal drive think its only got half its capacity? I thought the drive size was 'hard wired' into the drive at the factory and no software glitch could alter this.

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Corrupt Partition Map

Your drive's partition map is corrupted. For some reason, one of your drive's partitions got lost from the map and the drive thinks the remaining partition is 31.5 GB large. Various programs can correct this problem - I recommend DiskWarrior.