lost files - help needed

Discussion in 'macOS' started by princepercy, Aug 29, 2006.

1. princepercy macrumors newbie

Aug 29, 2006
    I have been using my Emac on 10.2 for the last few years and haven't upgraded anything as I only use computer for email, mp3 photos etc.

Yesterday I went to boot back to os9 but it was unable to load. I then tryed to go back to os 10.2 but it would not boot up.

The only way I could get my computer to work again was by re installing the OS. My computer now boots up properly but I have lost a large number of mp3 and photos.

I was wondering if anyone new of a way of recovering them? My harddrive is still showing as nearly full so I figured they must be on the HD somewhere.

Any idea?
  2. GilGrissom macrumors 65816

Mar 13, 2005
    Hmmm...firewire target disk mode springs to mind, but I have a feeling that will only show what the OS on the disk knows about, or something else like that so it cannot read the files you need.

Not sure, worth a shot I guess, if it has firewire, that's if no one comes on here and gives you a far better more reliable definitive answer! I'm gonna guess someone will!
  3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    What sort of reinstall did you do? Was it an Archive & Install? If it's a large section of data that's missing then you may be able to find it with OmniDiskSweeper. Good luck. :)