lost files - help needed

Discussion in 'macOS' started by princepercy, Aug 29, 2006.

1. princepercy macrumors newbie

I have been using my Emac on 10.2 for the last few years and haven't upgraded anything as I only use computer for email, mp3 photos etc.

Yesterday I went to boot back to os9 but it was unable to load. I then tryed to go back to os 10.2 but it would not boot up.

The only way I could get my computer to work again was by re installing the OS. My computer now boots up properly but I have lost a large number of mp3 and photos.

I was wondering if anyone new of a way of recovering them? My harddrive is still showing as nearly full so I figured they must be on the HD somewhere.

Any idea?

2. GilGrissom macrumors 65816

GilGrissom

Hmmm...firewire target disk mode springs to mind, but I have a feeling that will only show what the OS on the disk knows about, or something else like that so it cannot read the files you need.

Not sure, worth a shot I guess, if it has firewire, that's if no one comes on here and gives you a far better more reliable definitive answer! I'm gonna guess someone will!

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

What sort of reinstall did you do? Was it an Archive & Install? If it's a large section of data that's missing then you may be able to find it with OmniDiskSweeper. Good luck. :)