lost files while burning

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by mightychick, Apr 20, 2005.

1. mightychick macrumors newbie

Apr 20, 2005
    I need help.....
    Working on a mac os x, I tried burning a CD for the first time. I dragged the files into the CD. I then changed my mind and ejected the CD. When I went back to the original folder on my desktop where the files were not there They had disappeared.
    I searched 'EVERYWHERE' using finder all visible and invisible folders but no luck.
    What did I do? Can these be recovered? What steps must I take?
    desperate to find these folders!
  2. simie macrumors 6502a

Aug 26, 2004
  3. mightychick thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 20, 2005
    recovery not possible

yes that was the first place I looked...I had someone try data recovering and the result was this....apparently not one single fragment was found...he asked me if I hit the secure empty trash...I said no..thinking back is there a shortcut that I could have hit that would have deleted these files
  4. yellow Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
    When you drag files onto the icon of the CD on your Desktop, they are copied from the originals into a cached space set aside on the hard drive for the burning of the CD. The originals are untouched. So the originals are where ever you dragged them from. Ejecting the CD without burning often results in the cached space being destroyed. Hopefully the originals weren't on it. You might try looking in /tmp/501/ (assuming you are the original admin user on the Mac) and seeing if the cached space is still there.