Lost Identity

Discussion in 'macOS' started by andersb71, Oct 25, 2006.

1. andersb71 macrumors newbie

AArrrggh!!
    I changed my name in Finder next to the "Home" (house) icon. by rightclicking on it / "Get info" and then just wrote a new name in the name field, then I continued to work and all was fine. After a reboot OSX came up like it had just been installed. My Apps was still there and so was the files that was on the HD but my files on the desktop was gone and everything seemed to have been reset to the default wallpaper, menubar icons and systemsettings. But the worst thing is that my MS Entourage (Legal copy) acted as if it had just been installed too.. Where are all my mails/projects/adresses? Messenger also wants to start over so does iTunes (Maybe more)
    It's as if OSX has lost connection to (or parts of) my identity. It changede the name back to the original name itself. I did a Disc perm repair with no luck either. In Library/preferences I tried to temp. change the MS filenames on the Plist files AND the "Microsoft" folder so that I forced it to create new ones - didn't help either. (have now restored the original MS files)

What's a desperate man to do? I really need my emails..
    Really hope someone can help me!
    Br Andy CPH

2. frenetic macrumors regular

Never change the shortname of your home folder! It's a recipe for disaster, because that name is linked to the underlying unix system - who has permissions to see what etc...

That being said, have you tried just renaming it back to the shortname you had before? Then restart... Dunno if this works, but that would be my first try. If it doesn't work I hope somebody else with more unix knowledge chimes in with some ideas...

Frenetic

3. andersb71 thread starter macrumors newbie

nopes

thanx for answering but it changed the name back itself so there's nothing to change..

4. frenetic macrumors regular

But did you restart?

Something to check is the following: if you go to HD/users, what subdirectories are there?

5. andersb71 thread starter macrumors newbie

restart yes

Yes I did restart, + in the HD/Users I do indeed have to names ; one which looks like my original and another that seems to be the one I generated when I started this oh so stupid namechanging business..

6. frenetic macrumors regular

Ok, here is what you need to understand: when you have a certain username, it also creates a short username. That short username is also the name of your home folder. So suppose I am called John Smith, use that as my username, then my short username will be something like johnsmith, and that will also be the name of my home folder.

Since you changed the name of johnsmith (the folder), yet logged in with the username John Smith, OS X started looking for a folder called johnsmith, yet couldn't find it, so it created a new one for you, with default settings. That is why you are now saying "it changed the name back itself". Actually it hasn't, it has just created a new default one, and you only think you are in your old home folder. All your files (mails, music files and so on) are in the following place: HD/users/changed_home_folder_name.

7. andersb71 thread starter macrumors newbie

yes thanks.. That seems to be the case.. do I then just delete the other one and all will be fine then? or do I need to tell OSX where to look or do I delete the new one and then rename "HD/users/changed_home_folder_name" back to the old name?

8. frenetic macrumors regular

So you have two options:

a. You create a new user with admin rights, log in with that admin username, then remove the newly created johnsmith folder (since that is the one you are working in right now and it contains no files of importance), then change back the name of changed_home_folder into johnsmith, restart, and everything should be fine again. Repair permissions to be sure. Afterwards you can delete the admin account if you want.

b. create a root account, and from there copy everything from your changed_home_folder to your johnsmith. Restart, and repair permissions.

No, you can't delete the other one (that is, the newly created johnsmith folder which contains no files of importance) since that is the one you are now actually working in... see why you have gotten yourself in such a mess now? You have to make a detour through either a newly made admin account, or by logging in as root.

(BTW, the latter is explained here:
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106290)

9. andersb71 thread starter macrumors newbie

wow thanks man U R a good help! I'm going for the A option thanks for your help. Hope U will check back later to this thread (in case I have additional questions)
    Br Andy CPH

10. frenetic macrumors regular

Good luck, just think about what you are changing at every step along the road... If you have a back up possibility (external Hard disk) just back up the changed_home_folder in case you mess it up... remember, that is the one containing all your data!

11. andersb71 thread starter macrumors newbie

hmmm I did everything as you said (admin account) but it says that I don't have sufficient access privileges to rename my "changed_home_folder_name" folder. Also when looking in the folder there are red signs?? however if I log into the old account, what U see in the screendump is no longer true ; there fx. I can see my old desktopfiles...hope U can help..[​IMG]

maybe I can; logged in to the old account, manually move the content to the new User folder and all will be good?

12. frenetic macrumors regular

Well, you can't see the folders which are in your Anders Bakfeldt folder because you are now logged in as tempuser. So the red signs are normal... That is perfectly normal behaviour.

So let me get this straight: Anders Bakfeldt is your username, right? Does the Anders Bakfeldt folder contain your mail and documents? What size is it?

No you can't, because you are not allowed to see what is in your old home folder...

OK, we need some unix expert chiming in here please: how can andersb71 change the name of the homefolder through the terminal?

13. andersb71 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes Anders Bakfeldt (That's me btw) is my User name and the folder is to be renamed to andersbakfeldt. when logged in as tempuser (the admin account I created) it's only about 50 K but when logged in as Anders Bakfeldt it's the correct 24 GB.
    What do you think about my idea to log in as Anders Bakfeldt and just move the files from Anders Bakfeldt to the andersbakfeldt folder?

14. frenetic macrumors regular

but wait... if you log in with anders bakfeldt you see your old desktop files? And your mail files? That means it is fixed, no? Or is something still missing?

15. andersb71 thread starter macrumors newbie

no it just means that in HD/Users I now see three folders; one for the "tempuser", one for the selfgenerated "andersbakfeldt" and the one "Anders Bakfeldt" (which contains all my stuff and is to be renamed "andersbakfeldt")
    My prob. is still there; when I log on as Anders Bakfeldt it looks in andersbakfeldt. therfore, as you suggested yourself, I want delete it and rename "Anders Bakfeldt" to "andersbakfeldt" ..

But right now I'm trying to copy over the files from "Anders Bakfeldt" to "andersbakfeldt" hoping that when I reboot Entourage will have all the info it needs.. (but that's 40 gigs so it takes a while) again thanks hope U will hang on

16. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

Try these steps:
    1. Log in as tempuser
    2. Move the /Users/andersbakfeldt/ folder (the self generated one) somewhere else
    3. Open Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal), paste the following command, then press enter:
      Code:
      sudo mv /Users/Anders\ Bakfeldt /Users/andersbakfeldt
    4. When prompted, enter the password for tempuser, and press enter
    5. Log in as Anders Bakfeldt, and hopefully all will be working again

17. frenetic macrumors regular

Ok, unless someone answers the unix call (perhaps wait a few hours till the US wakes up), I would go for the login in as root option, as explained above in the apple document. When you are logged in as root you can first remove the newly made andersbakfeldt, and then change "Anders Bakfeldt" into andersbakfeldt again.

Sorry, but I can't help you any further than this....

Thank you HexMonkey, that should do the trick. I had found out about the mv command, but didn't know how to cape with the space between "Anders" and "Bakfeldt".

:)

18. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Yeah, Terminal should work fine. You can actually just delete the current "andersbakfeldt" folder if you want (the one that was generated by OS X after you renamed the REAL one).

Code:
    sudo rm -rf /Users/andersbakfeldt
    Then you can do the mv command cited above to rename the "Anders Bakfeldt" folder back to "andersbakfedlt" and then you'll be in business.

19. andersb71 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanx so much Guys!! I have a 30 min meeting now but I'll try first thing after that.. thanks for the help (stick around?)

20. andersb71 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey guys, while in the meeting I tried a complete copy from Anders Bakfeldt to andersbakfeldt, rebootet and almost everything was fine (exept for user settings in OSX, and settings in Photoshop and so on) I gotta work now using this mode but will try the terminal trick later this week.
    Again thanks for all your help
    Andy CPH

21. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

The reason that happened is because you didn't have sufficient permissions to copy EVERYTHING over in the Finder UI. What "sudo" does is give you root permissions once you enter your admin password. That means that you give the delete/rename commands permission to do everything you told them. That's why the Terminal is guaranteed to work out. :) Just requires you brave the scary land of the command-line interface. But, that's what's nice (and what's potentially dangerous) about having UNIX underneath—when you tell it to do something, it DOES it.

22. GreenNinja01 macrumors newbie

Same Problem

I have the same problem as andersb71...I've found my files in the renamed folder in the users folder. I'm able to move files over from the renamed to the old name. I have everything backed up, so can I just delete the renamed folder and start over?? I'm fairly new to mac's so I'm a little leery of messing around in the 'Terminal'. THANKS!!