Lost in Our Own Little World

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IJ Reilly, Apr 18, 2004.

1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-op-toensing18apr18,0,4835083.story

2. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Small primal scream. Nuthin' like grandiose, sweeping generalities.

Sure, SOME folks are narcisists about Iraq and the general effects of our actions. Trouble is, many others are just like us here on this board. We look at a much larger picture. SOME on this board only look at Iraq as a way to bash Bush, but that doesn't mean all of us here shun looking at the effects on others in the middle east as well as on the Iraqis...

Coming back from Texas, taking a coffee break at a Waffle House--not usually a center of intellectual stimulus--I overheard some roughly dressed blue collar folks talking about the middle east. The discussion was quite broad ranging, and not focussed on just higher gas prices, or "our boys". It's not just "the elite" or the high-IQ crowd who's discussing broader meanings. I see wider discussion on other boards, as well, and not just one-sided views...

'Rat

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

what else were they saying?

4. Desertrat macrumors newbie

zim, not recalling with exactitude, one guy was wondering about the "end game" (my label) of a year or three down the road, given which countries abut Iraq. Sort of, "What will Syria or Iran do?"

Another brought up the problems faced by the Kurds in their dealing with both the Turks and the Sunnis/Shiites. I didn't think they necessarily had all their facts straight, but they weren't into the "Kill'em all and let God sort'em out" routine. A bit weak on geography, but at least they knew of the screwing the Kurds have gotten through the years. (I think one guy had roughnecked for a while, over there.)

Roughly...

'Rat

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20