Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

forthebrave

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 3, 2004
I bought my iMac 20" Rev A in Hawaii last year and then moved to Japan. My iMac display went black on me one day after my warranty expired, so I brought it to the Apple Store in Japan. The guy there told me that with this perticular model there have been some issues with the logic board and that Apple will fix it for free. So I'm all happy, but then I get a call saying it wasn't a problem with my logic board but a problem with my display! So the guy at Apple Store Japan tells me that with Desktops the 1 year warranty doesn't work overseas, only laptops and that it would cost over $700 to fix in Japan!! He then tells me that since my iMac broke so close to the end of my warranty that he would put my " case " and repair number in the computer so that if I brought it back to Hawaii it would still be under the warranty and could be fixed free of charge. I then call Apple Store in Hawaii just to make sure, because I don't want to drag my iMac all the way there to find out I still have to pay to get it fixed. The person at Apple Hawaii asks for my repair number, which is totally wrong but then finds it through my serial number and gives me a new repair number??? He then tells me that he can't understand Japanese and that Japan's system is differnet from the states!!! And " Oh yeah, your Warranty is Expired, but there is something written here about an override..?? " Right now I am waiting for an e-mail stating wether my iMac can be fixed for free or not!!!

So here I am riding on this roller coaster of ups and downs and being ping ponged from Japan and Hawaii!! Isn't Apple the same everywhere?? What's with these different repair numbers and if one Apple Store says I can get my computer fixed for free under the warranty why does another Apple Store say I can't just because they don't understand Japanese?? I'm desperate here! I am LOST IN TRANSLATION!!! Not only am I furious that I got probably the WORST model of iMac ( loud fan, power problems, logic board problems ), but also the fact that on top of that, after only one year, one day after my warranty expires my LCD display BURNS OUT!!!

forthebrave

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 3, 2004
yeah maybe I should of spent the extra $200! I've been using Macs for more than 10 years, never had a problem! figured with technology getting better everyday I would never have to worry about my LCD DISPLAY burning out in on year.. man was I wrong!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.