Lost internet connection

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by euroky, Nov 30, 2006.

1. euroky macrumors newbie

Hi, The Mac is downstairs connected to a Linksys upstairs. There is a PC upstairs that is also connected to the linksys that is connected to a cable modem.
    This has worked for 8 months.
    After a great ichat video the night before all things worked.
    My husband was able to get on the internet once after that and now nothing.
    Any ideas?
    Our son sent us an apple wireless but there is no place to plug my computer into it. Just the ethernet connetion from the cable modem
    thanks T

2. Xavier macrumors 68020

Maybe you somehow took the IP over from the other computer. That happened to me once. It was rather weird, but that might have just been my fault. Thats probably not the reason

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Whoa, slow down. Is your husband on the PC or the Mac? Is the Linksys router a wireless router? What are you wanting the Apple wireless to do? Is this 'wireless' an AirPort?

Sorry for all the questions, but this may help us clear up your problems. In the meantime, try resetting your network by unplugging everything from the power for a minute and then plugging them back in. :)

4. euroky thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry:) trying to keep it short LOL
    The Mac is my husbands downstairs. The PC is upstairs connected to the wireless access point router upstairs. My pc is connected to the wireless router and that is connected to the cable modem.
    Our son sent us the apple airport express he said the linksys probably died but I'm still able to use it. The Apple has no place to plug my computer into it. Just the cable modem plug.
    Could it just be a internet connection setting on the Mac that got messed up?
    The diagnostic said it was a router problem.
    I have shut down and rebooted everything.
    Also tried a different power cord on the linksys
    Thank-you T

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

6. euroky thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank-you
    The router is older Linksys model # BEFW11s4
    Our son sent the wrong Apple product.
    He's sending out a new router(Good son:)Apple of course.
    I still wonder why the Mac says the router is not working but I'm able to be on the internet with it. The cable modem is connected to the linksys and my pc is connected to the Linksys.
    How do we check connections in the mac?
    Our son had everything working and just all of a sudden no internet for the Mac. this was right after our first i-chat.Could any keys have changed a setting?
    I'd check with our nerdy:) son but he's traveling all over right now. think he's in Dubai working.
    So thanks for your help.
    Teri

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, if it was working earlier and you haven't made any changes but it is no longer working, then try rebooting the network by unplugging everything from the power for about a minute and then plugging it back in. This should work assuming everything is correctly set up, and it sounds like it probably is. :)

8. CDailey macrumors regular

Personally, I've never been a fan of Linksys. I've gone through 2 Linksys routers in the past 2 years on my Windows machine, and the other day my friend bought the WRT45G and we both lost signal (me: MBP and him: HP dv9000t) after about 15 minutes. If you still can't get it to work, I suggest checking out Dlink routers. Mine hasn't failed me yet. :) I've got a WBR - 1310

9. euroky thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the imput.
    Our son sent us an Apple Airport Extreme.
    It was ridiculously easy to set up and the Mac downstairs and the PC upstairs are now working great.
    Our son is a huge Mac fan and is slowly switching us over :>)
    Thank-you you all for the help
    T