Lost iPod Video - What Should I Do?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by HelixOmnimedia, Sep 28, 2006.

1. HelixOmnimedia macrumors 6502a

HelixOmnimedia

Hello

I've just returned from New York (Apple Store was Amazing), anyway I fell asleep during the flight and with the bump of the landing my iPod Video fell to the floor. I was sandwiched between two people and I’m quick large so I couldn’t reach it. I immediately pressed the cabin crew call button, but they didn’t come until the plane had full landed.
    Doors opened and everyone began moving around. I checked six rows in front and 4 behind (was in the tail section), but the iPod had vanished. (I’m 90% sure that the people behind me took it – but I can’t prove it).
    I reported this to the cabin crew, the cleaning crew, the ground crew, three British Airways desks and filled in a lost property form.

What should I do now? Will contacting Apple help? I’m completely at a loss without it, just hope my home insurance can cover it (only got medical holiday insurance).

Thanks for any advice.

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

There's not much you can do beyond what you've already done.

You may be able to contact Apple and have them flag the serial number in case someone brings/sends it in for repair. But they won't be able to actively help find your iPod.

3. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

Do you have the serial number of the iPod?

Otherwise I don't think theres much you can do.

EDIT: beaten.

4. bugger macrumors newbie

if you bought with your credit card, check if they have any sort of protection for something like that. Amex certainly does (which is why i make all important purchases with it). If you lose/break/destroy something within 90 days of purchasing something with an Amex card - even if you destroyed it on purpose - you can call Amex and they will credit you the amount of your purchase. of course you don't want to abuse this privilege, but it's a great benefit of having an Amex card.

5. HelixOmnimedia thread starter macrumors 6502a

HelixOmnimedia

I don't have a credit card :eek: sometimes i wish i did, as you said for important purchases so there's some sort of comeback on it.

Holiday insurance didn't cover it - only the medical stuff. Home Insurance didn't cover it, as there's an extra policy you need to pay for taking objects outwith your house... Good things i found this out the now, as i've been taking my PowerBook to university and back (120mile round trip) and i've always thought it was covered in the home insurance - anyway i payed the extra £12.99 - it is now.

As for the iPod - British Airways was no help, reported it to Apple and my local police (like they'd be able to do anything but eat doughnuts:D) So...

My parents on Saturday (yesterday) were flying to Spain, so i asked them to pick me up a NEW iPod Video Black (tax free from airport)...
    then I came on here and read more rumors about a FullScreen iPod, and called airport security to get in contact with them, to tell them i didn't want it anymore... but to get the Green iPod Nano instead (only £100).

Thanks for all the concerns and helpful suggestions. :)