Lost iPods

Discussion in 'Community' started by newmember, Aug 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newmember macrumors newbie

Hey,

Check this out: http://lostipods.com. I think I may do this. I haven't gotten my iPod yet, hopefully soon :cool:, but my roommate just lost his and he's pretty upset. I would engrave my phone number on it but I probably won't have it for that long (living in dorm) so this seems like a good option, cause if I move i can just update the info on the site and not worry about the engraving.

Me and my roommate found this site the other day and he says he wishes he did it, so that kinda makes me think about it. I guess you have to lose an iPod to know the feeling. :( They have a money back guarantee, so I might just have to try.

Worst case I'll be refunded if i lose it... right?

I like the idea of being able to transfer my iPod to another account incase I sell it. Oh well. :D

2. cslewis macrumors 6502a

cslewis

how about you build a simple website on freewebs with all of your contact info? Laser-engrave your url on the back of the iPod. At least you can change info on your website.

3. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

hmm, send it in and get a reward or keep it and sell it for a nice chunk of change. now i would probably return it to the person, but i already have one. i bet the typical person will keep it. last thing i want on my ipod as well is a sticker.

iJon

4. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

Did you read what you have to do to get your $5 back?

5. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

aka, our service doesn't work but we could use your $5 dollars anyways.

iJon

6. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

I agree. I trust the average joe about as far as I can throw them. I would return one, but I highly doubt most people would (at least, those that don't already own one.)

7. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

How many people would try to return an iPod if they found it? I think if some kid found my iPod he/she would just take it.

8. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

What an excellent scam! And all you might, maybe, get back is $5 after about $200 worth of hassle? Assuming this is legit - and that newmember isn't actually promoting it for selfish reasons - I mean, come on, it's his/her one and only post, surely a red flag - then I sure hope no one falls for it. Post your freaking email address on it and offer a reward. Set up a never-used address so people don't get your normal one. Use a sticker (gah!) or engrave it (GAH!!!), then, when you lose it, realize that, as mentioned above, only people who already own iPods that are at least as nice will - maybe - return it. But don't use these jags.

9. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

You know, now I'm pretty sure that newmember has a financial incentive for this site to work. The post is just too... suspicious. Does this mean a ban might be in order? Or a trip to the land of waste?

10. King Cobra macrumors 603

Just as long as it's not a free iPod service, it's all right. :D

11. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

it is kind of odd. on that site there is a new member called "newmember" who posted about 1 minute apart from each other, assuming the time zones are the same. all in all it's still a stupid idea.

iJon

12. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Well, the mods have been notified that this is likely solicitation. We'll see what they decide. At least it's not all that expensive.

13. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

hmmmmmm....

I dunno what to make of it, other than it's a site that wants $5 from you to do nothing. Wow... what a deal. Seems like there's nothing wrong, but is quite pointless. Thread closed, but will stay for your reading enjoyment :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.