Lost itunes library

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by buryyourbrideau, Nov 11, 2005.

1. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

hey everyone, havent been on in a while, anywho, just a few minutes ago, i was in itunes, changing the name of a video and my ibook froze, no force quit was able to be done, so i did a hard reset. after i hard reset' my dock went back to factory and all my itunes library was gone!

does anyone know how to get the itunes library file in the trash un-damaged so i dont have to re-import almost 20 gigs of music?

ahhh this sucks!

p.s. i searched and didnt find anything..... :mad:

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

So is the file actually in the trash can? You can replace the current one with the old one whilst iTunes isn't running by just dragging it to the folder. Have you searched for "iTunes Library" if it's not in the trash? :)

3. Cinematographer macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

It should not be necessairy to re-import the music. If you're lucky you'll find the library file. Otherwise you'll have to start iTunes, select "Add to Library" and add the whole iTunes Music Folder to the library again (or any other folder with your music). You will lose all your playlist information, but your music should be save.

4. buryyourbrideau thread starter macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

yea after i did the hard reset, the itunes library file was damaged and i tried to repair it but it didnt work. sorry i forgot to mention that.

anything else i could do?

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

How was it damaged and how did you repair it? Sorry, but it's not looking promising because that file really is the key. :(

6. buryyourbrideau thread starter macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

im not exactly sure how it was damaged, after i rebooted, i opened itunes and nothing was there and i looked at the itunes library file and it said damaged in (), i tried repairing permissions and whatnot and nothing worked....ahhh!!! reimporting will take forever and probably freeze my ibook many many times

7. buryyourbrideau thread starter macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

:: sigh :: no need to bump threads....

anyways... as it has been said... you dont need to reimport your music, iTunes didn't trash your music files. they should all be there still. all you have to do is start iTunes, and add the files back to your library. you WILL lose your playcounts, playlists, and ratings.

9. nobu macrumors newbie

lost music

hi i am new here and new to mac as well. i may have lost all my music from itunes. what happened is i used shareware version of this application called apimac to hide my itunes folder. next time i start the computer and itunes, the musics will not obviously show up but then strangely when i open the apimac, the itunes folder is maked as visible. i removed itunes out of the programme and try to find itunes folder in the music section but it is empty. i removed the entire apimac programme, restart the computer several times but no, my musics are gone from the face of the earth. can not find the musics from the spotlight. i never checked the trash and i emptied trash several times but i do not think my musics went there. fortunately i do not have too many music in on itunes, less then a gig but still i do not understand this problem. however the size of the music folder on the finder says 850mb which is about the amount of music i have in there. does this mean i have hope. a generious advise will be appretiated.
    norbu.

10. nobu macrumors newbie

i forgot to say... the spotlight search says my itunes folders and flie are there under music but from the finder in the music section it is empty or it is invisible. when i open the itunes music folder from the spotlight, it is empty, no musics no folders. thanks.. norbu