Lost iTunes purchases when Apple replaced iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ceruleanventure, Oct 7, 2006.

1. ceruleanventure macrumors regular

ceruleanventure

Quick question: A few months ago my iMac was replaced by Apple. Before the death of the machine, I had purchased the entire second season of Battlestar Galactica. Is it possible to contact Apple and see if I can get the shows I purchased back? Is there an email adress etc that I can use?

Thanks! :)

2. thatsjustandy macrumors newbie

all you have to do is email apple and they will make your purchaces available for download again. they send you an email tellign you its your responsibility to back everything up yourself and this is a one time only deal but i've heard of people doing it 3-4 times

Here is the link i used to email them about it
    http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/store/lostmusic/#form

3. jruc4871 macrumors regular

unfortunately, you are SOL.

everyone should take this as a reminder to BACK UP your data.

iTunes 7 now has a nifty feature that holds your hand through the backup process. You can backup to CD or DVD, and you can choose to back up all content or just iTS purchases.

Sorry...

4. jruc4871 macrumors regular

Didn't know about this...

Still, BACK UP. I would't count on Apple to keep allowing you to do this.

5. generik macrumors 601

generik

How does the backup feature handle collections that are bigger than the size of a dvd? Does it support dvd spanning?

6. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

exactly. how can you get 1440 songs on a DVD? I have over 6Gb of songs. Tsk!!

7. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

There's an option to "Authorize Computer" in iTunes under the menu "Store." Once you've done that, use the "Check for Purchased Music" option or check your account to see if you can re-download. Definitely contact Apple, they'll make it right for you.

8. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

I'm currently doing a backup of a 14 gigabyte library and seeing how it works, but according to Apple's documentation:

So, yeah, I think it burns the files individually; you can then use iTunes 7 to restore from a "backup" DVD. So it must also write a catalog or the actual library file or somesuch.

EDIT: Well, I initially found the backup process to be buggy, but it turns out rather clean and simple. It does write a catalog, an iTunes library file and a folder containing each artists' songs. The catalog file (ContentsDB.xml) is how iTunes determines what's next and prior when restoring. A sample: