Lost my CD Key

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MattDell, Oct 30, 2006.

1. MattDell macrumors 6502

MattDell

I recently bought a MacBook and decided to give my PowerBook G4 to my mom to use for whatever occasional use she might have for it. But before I gave it to her, I decided to do a clean install of OSX (10.3) before I left. I was in a rush to get on the road to go back home, so I just started the install and left it to run for her. When I got home, I got a call from her saying that the computer wants some kind of registration number (which I am assuming is the CD Key).

I have searched high and low for the original box it came in, but through 3 moves in the past 2.5 years, I think that the box may have gotten tossed at some point.

Is there any way to look up the CD key? Could I contact Apple? Wouldn't they have that information on record?

Any help would be appreciated!! :cool:

-Matt

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

There is no CD key for regular OS X (there is one for Server, but i take it that's not what we have here?)

You'll need to ask your mom for more details, this could just be the regular Mac registration screen that you can ignore by quitting out.

3. MattDell thread starter macrumors 6502

MattDell

Interesting. Fortunately I am going home this weekend so I can take a look at it while I'm home.

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to have to rip my apartment apart trying to find that box before I went home. :p

-Matt

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

My only guess is that she pushed the .Mac option in the setup assistant and that it's asking for an activation code.

5. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

I think that's it too. Or she could have just misread something.