Lost My Job Today

Discussion in 'Community' started by toaster_oven, Jan 3, 2005.

1. toaster_oven macrumors regular

hi-

yet another macrumors member to add to the list, although i didn't get demoted. I was laid off... due to my office having financial troubles (now down to one full-time employee, one part-time). This is the fourth time i've been laid off in 2 years (all for the same reason- money. i sure pick winners to work for... but that's another story, more about the state of my field). I have a feeling i'll find something within a few months, but it really stinks. i graduated from college 3 years ago, but you wouldn't think that one should have 7 different jobs during that time...

today i'm taking it a little easy- trying to take care of a few things i've been meaning to do for the past couple months. I guess in a sense i need to take care of myself mentally before i hit the pavement yet again.

on the up-side, i can ask for more money when i interview... i've been notoriously underpaid in all my jobs. maybe now i'll get up enough courage to ask for what i am actually worth.

-TO

2. Sir_Giggles macrumors 6502a

Sir_Giggles

Remember to smile. say their name. and always talk in their interests, not your own. good luck.

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Best of luck to you - and I'm happy to see that you'll be asking for what you're worth this next time around.

What field are you in, and what area of the country?

4. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

That is very sad news toaster_oven. I wish you the best of luck. Such a difficult thing to have happen on the first working day of the New Year. Having a good attitude about this is very important.

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

As a fellow alumni of the "lost my job today" club, my heart goes out to you. I feel your pain. Glad to see you are approaching it with a positive attitude. That will serve you well.

Lean on the Forum for support and share your heart with them. I know it is somewhat anonymous, but it does help just to share your thoughts and feelings as they come and go.

Keep us informed. We are here for you, and we do care.

Woof, Woof - Dawg

6. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

My sympathies. I too just got the news of a "downsizing". It is never easy, even when you see it coming like I did.

Best of luck for you. The next few weeks will be interesting for me too.

7. Toe macrumors 65816

Toe

Here are some nice leads on Mac jobs...
    http://home.inreach.com/rhowehmd/MacMgrsJobs.html
    (includes a little article from Mac Managers... it is three years old now, but much of the content is still valid).

In any event, be sure to check out
    http://www.MacTalent.com/
    and
    http://www.MacDirectory.com/pages/Jobs.html

Enjoy, and good luck!

P.S. My most adamant advice from that article:
    This still holds true. I see very few Mac jobs on Monster (any location), but quite a few on Washington Post all the time....

8. timmyOtool macrumors member

I happen to find myself in a simular position. I feel your pain. I graduated 3 years ago and lost my 4th job a few weeks ago. I guess when times get tough they lay-off the newest graphic designer and make everyone else pick up the slack. Thangs have to get better and everything will work out. Stay strong my brotha (or sista).

9. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Sorry to hear that, my thoughts are with you, many of us are but a sneeze away from the next job.
    I have mentioned it before and want to hit it again, make sure you use the job service, they have a lot of positions that are not advertised. Our division hired nearly 200 people this year, all unadvertised and through the job service. It is a method that many companies use to prove they are not discriminating, you see the job service screens the applicants for the employer.
    Good luck, many here will have good advice for your industry, maybe even a job!

10. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Sorry if I am being dense. What do you mean a job service. A head hunter service? Or the local employment office?

11. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Not sure if this is what Beeef has in mind, but I know my airline offers placement services and coaching for displaced employees. Your company may not be large enough to do that.

Good luck to you Chip... I just posted in your thread.

Woof, Woof - Dawg

12. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Well Chip, it seems that is an excellent question. It USED to be called the Job Service, now called Employment Commission.

Link to Va Employment Commission

13. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Thanks, wasn't sure what you meant. Been with my present company 5 years, and the previous 10 years was job changes by who I knew in the industry at the time.

I know that the big move with head hunters is in doing temp-to-perm. At this point in life, I need more stability than a temp job, that MAY lead to a perm job. My other half has been dragged through that mess over the last few months.

Thanks for the link....

14. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

I would use a head hunter last, unless I knew I was in great demand.

When a HH puts your resume in front of an employer, that employer will now have to pay a fee if they hire you, even if you just walked in from the street and didn't know that the HH had sent your resume. Now the employer will have to think if they really want to pay up to 30% of your annual salary to someone or hire someone else.

HH are not evil or bad, just try and not use one till you have exhausted your own search.

Empl Comm in our area handles a lot of companies screening, this way the company is not as liable for discrimination, infact if you walked into our company to fill out an application, they would tell you to go to the emp comm and do it.

You do not need to be unemployed to use the Emp Comm, just drop in, fill out the database info, interview with a counselor, leave a resume, and do the occassional followuup. You probably will not find a job through them, experience shows that personal networking is best, but you never know.

15. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Good tips stubeef. I and so many others will take and use them to the hilt, I am sure.

16. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

I spent 2 years as a Dir of Personnel in the Hotel Industry and 1 year self employed as a HH for therapists. Plus looking for a place for me to land at least 3 times. All lessons for me are from the school of hard knocks.

17. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Sorry to hear the bad news, toaster oven. It's really rough out there. Four layoffs in two years is ridiculous.

18. toaster_oven thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the support everyone- it really helps to have people cheering you on.

the trick for me is to actually get an interview. If i get an interview, there is a strong chance I'll have a job offer. the last time I was unemployed i sent out over 100 resumes and only had 6 interviews - with 2 job offers. this, however, was stretched out over 5 months during the Holiday season... and a particularly bad time in the economy (i'm not so sure it's much better right now - my field relies on public projects for about half it's work... but i won't get into that or else this'll end up in the political forum).

This time I am heading out on the market with project management experience - which is supposed to be highly desired within my field of someone at my level. I can send out resumes for positions that I couldn't do a year ago. My previous boss is offering to be a reference (told me that he'd say that i am talented, a self-starter, very organized and highly motivated), and i've maintained a good relationship with my previous managers.

it's only been a few hours since i posted my resume, and i have about 20 potential leads (i'm not looking forward to writing 20 cover letters). I'm not too worried at the moment. We shall see after a week of this how many bites I get.

yeah- i really stinks to get laid off the first day back in the new year... I saw it coming, though. I had started looking at job postings over a month ago, and had been working on updating my portfolio. because of this i'm ready to start interviewing right away, instead of in a week or so the last time i lost my job. If anything, i'm learning to keep looking while i'm employed- constantly be on the look-out for something better... because you never know...

i'll definitely keep everyone updated on my progress... posting this has been very theraputic.

thanks!

-TO

19. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Keep up the good work, as long as you can keep yourself impressed with your own work as you seek out a new job, you'll have the confidence in your skills that people really want to see. :)

20. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Sorry for the bad news. I know how hard it is. The same thing just happened to my wife, so we are running around like chickens with our heads cut off.

Keep your head up. It will get better.

21. Toe macrumors 65816

Toe

'nuther job resource

I figured I should post another job resource to this thread. This is my all time favorite, as it is exclusively a list of jobs at nonprofit organizations (and is run by a nonprofit):
    http://www.idealist.org/

Of course, nonprofits are not distributed evenly. In the US, half seem to be in the DC area and most of the rest are in California. But there are always local groups, etc.. It also lists stuff from around the world.

So anyway, it isn't Mac specific in the least, but it is way cool. They also link to a bajillion other nonprofit job websites:
    http://www.idealist.org/career/morejobs.html
    and have a nice career center:
    http://www.idealist.org/career.html

OK, enough pimping for one day. :) And no, I am not associated with them in any way (except that my organization is listed in their directory).

22. toaster_oven thread starter macrumors regular

i love idealist- i've never found anything through there in my field (although there is potential...) but i have several friends who have.

another great place to look is if there is a local college or university in your area, hang out in the admissions office of your particular field and see if they have any industry job-postings... this is especially helpful for those who haven't been out of school for too long. career centers and fairs are also great (just pretend to be a student who lost their ID card)... I usually get good contacts through this process, and I can use them in the future. having a name to contact at a company is so much better than "human resources."

if you maintained a relationship with old professors, they can usually give you names of people to contact (people who have done them favors in the past) - but be prepared to do likewise in the future - i've only used this as a last resort - and would only recommend if you were a good student.

also- those who are just starting out, and those who are in school- network network network... i cannot say this enough. I haven't been too good about it in the past, but if you had a good working relationship with someone who went somewhere else- chances are they'll be willing to bring you along. Students - people you meet in your major or graduate program will probably be able to help you out down the line. I have couple people who I always contact first.

update: i've gotten a response to my resume posted online- seems like a good opportunity (the name sounds really familiar, maybe I sent her a resume last year - i'll check my files). I haven't even contacted all the places I want to contact yet... yarg. If i get bites this easily, i'm going to have to try to set up more interviews for next week very soon.

again- thanks for all the support...

-TO

23. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

The one avenue missed by most is going door-to-door. A few of my jobs had come from this. With the right resume, they might find it beneficial to create a position for you. That happened with one company. Though it was back in the '90s, so this new climate YMMV.

24. toaster_oven thread starter macrumors regular

great advice! I'd totally forgotten about that method. I think it's harder than cold-calling places because you actually have to face the person telling you they don't have any jobs available. but at least it gets your face out there.

well... i'm no longer in the ranks of the unemployed. I'm pretty happy with the place I've chosen (had 3 offers in under two weeks- this is definitely a record for me), and I think it'll put me in a better position in another year or two. I'm a little nervous about being in a new management position, but my new boss said that she'll give me plenty of guidance in the beginning. I still won't make enough money to run out and buy a G5 tower with a 30" cinema display, but i'm definitely going to be doing much better (now i can make higher payments on my student loans! yay!).

plus, instead of an hour and a half commute like my old job (30 minutes on the subway, 1 hour on the bus), this place is only a mile and a half from my apartment. I could even walk there on a nice day. i'll probably bike into work, it'll take maybe 20 minutes... although no more doing the crossword on my way to work in the mornings...

thanks again everyone for your sympathy and support. Posting has really been a great confidence booster for me (ok, now i'm gushing...)

-TO

25. Deefuzz macrumors 6502a

Deefuzz

I was just going to say sorry about your loss as I approached this thread late.

But you already found a new job!! That's awesome! I'm glad to hear it didn't take you long. When I graduated college it took me about 2 years to find a full-time position, I would just not get any interviews, so I know how you felt there.

Congrats again on leaving the unemployment realm. I hope your new job bodes well for you.