Lost my new iPhone 5...have insurance...this sucks.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Abandapart82, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Abandapart82, Nov 3, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2012

macrumors member

Left my phone at Olive Garden, went back and it magically disappeared. Manager said he can't do anything since we don't known who took it. Anyway I filed a claim with asurion and after all the horrors stories of them taking weeks to replace iPhones I wonder if AT&T will just reset my upgrade eligibility so I can just get one from the apple store.

Has anybody done this or am i stuck with the stupid insurance.

2. macrumors member

*who not whom*

You will most likely have to go through the insurance. It's a separate entity than AT&T and I don't see AT&T just giving you a replacement if you have the insurance (as that's what it's for).

3. macrumors regular

Not really an answer to your question but this is why you need to register your iPhone with findmyiphone.
    My friend had same issue. Lost his iPhone5. But luckily we were able to track that mother******* down to shopping mall with logging in with my phone.
    Did we get em? It was in his friend's(not anymore) purse.

4. thread starter macrumors member

Tried find my iPhone. The phone was either turned off or the bastard wiped it real quick. Either way I'm screwed.

5. macrumors newbie

same thing happened to me last weekend, but i had no insurance. :(

you will get a check for the full retail value of your phone, minus deductible.

find my iphone is irrelevant unless phone is picked up by accident and is not turned off, once turned off, it's done..you will not get it back.

6. macrumors regular

Damn Im sorry to hear that. Anyway from my knowledge, AT&T deactivates and block the IMEI once the phone is reported as stolen. And with those report, I think you can claim a replacement through insurance. Cant be sure but atleast give it a try :)

7. thread starter macrumors member

I'm sending them all the info they need tomorrow. Includes photo ID, Signed affidavit, and a few other things. I do hope they send me a check for the full retail value. That would make my life so much easier.

8. macrumors Nehalem

Applejuiced

AT&T will not reset your upgrade.
    You will have to wait till your contract is over to get another subsidy from them.
    Next time be more carefull.

9. macrumors 68040

This is one of the reasons I don't leave my phone out on the table or anywhere else when I'm out and about. I see a lot of people doing that and its a wonder more phones don't get left behind or stolen. If I'm not using my phone then its in my pocket at all times. I don't want to run the risk of leaving it behind or someone swiping it.

10. macrumors regular

OriginalClone

I lost my 4S like 2 weeks before I upgraded and filed a claim. Asurion sent me a brand new 4S I gave to my mom.