Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JSmoove05

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 4, 2007
hey all I was using safari then all of sudden I hit something and my address bar goes poof can someone please help me to get it back please thanks!!!

Retired
May 16, 2006
One of two things: View->Customize toolbar, drag the address bar thing

If not: Command+Shift+\

Sgswangstu

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2009
I lost the address bar in Safari

Hello Everyone!

I hope that someone can help me with this problem. I have been trying to figure it out for an hour. I lost the address bar in my Safari window. I was trying to change the home address, so I went under view to customize toolbar. I dragged the new address that I wanted into ..... "or drag the default set". This didn't work, and instead the whole address bar disappeared.

Thanks for your help

Sarah Swangstu

mgrande

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2011
I have the same problem

I'm having the same problem, the address bar in safari has gone missing. I've tried shift+command+\ and that will collapse the area where is address bar used to be, but that doesn't fix the problem. I've attached a screen shot. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-10-15 at 12.24.14 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-10-15 at 12.24.14 PM.png
    200 KB · Views: 1,697
Nov 28, 2010
located
I'm having the same problem, the address bar in safari has gone missing. I've tried shift+command+\ and that will collapse the area where is address bar used to be, but that doesn't fix the problem. I've attached a screen shot. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

CLICK HERE
Screen%20shot%202011-10-15%20at%207.42.35%20PM.png

dudette

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2011
Missing address bar, and other things don't work..

I know this may sound really easy- but have you tried hovering over "view" and clicking the first option (which should be hide/show toolbar- it's the first things for me, and I'm running lion). It worked for me!

Nov 28, 2010
located
I know this may sound really easy- but have you tried hovering over "view" and clicking the first option (which should be hide/show toolbar- it's the first things for me, and I'm running lion). It worked for me!

But the toolbar is visible in the screenshot of the last poster, who had that problem, unless you respond to the OP from almost four years ago.

dudette

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2011
But the toolbar is visible in the screenshot of the last poster, who had that problem, unless you respond to the OP from almost four years ago.

I'm confused. The view-show toolbar, worked for me, after I had tried everything else and they had all failed!

Nov 28, 2010
located
I'm confused. The view-show toolbar, worked for me, after I had tried everything else and they had all failed!

This thread is from 2007 and 2009, then one poster resurrected it in 2011 and provided a screenshot, and I replied to that poster alone.
In the screenshot the poster provided, you can see, that the toolbar is there, just the address and search bar are missing.

lonetex

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2013
I have the same problem, but now in 2014 after upgrade to 10.10

simsaladimbamba, and others have some great advice here... but my safari will NOT put up a display choice of toolbars to 'drag' into the window. simsaladimbamba, excellent screen shot. That is what my screen looks like EXCEPT I cannot get the menu of tool bars to drag into the safari tool area.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
simsaladimbamba, and others have some great advice here... but my safari will NOT put up a display choice of toolbars to 'drag' into the window. simsaladimbamba, excellent screen shot. That is what my screen looks like EXCEPT I cannot get the menu of tool bars to drag into the safari tool area.

Right click on the tool bar area and you should see Customize...

pastorkaren

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2016
I lost the address bar and when I click on view, the customize toolbar cannot be clicked on. It is a OS X Yosemite, 10.10.5. Safari 9.1.3.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
If you don't have any type of "bar' across the top to click on and the menu command is not available, then I'd suggest deleting your com.apple.safari.plist file.

Quit Safari. In Finder, hold down Option and click the Go menu. Select Library. Open the Preferences folder. Find the file mentioned above and delete it. Open Safari.

If that didn't work, then I'd suggest you log in from a different User Account. If you only have one, you'll have to create a second one.

In System Preferences, click Users and Groups. Click the padlock icon and enter your password. Click the + button and give the account a name. Leave it highlighted and close the window. Log out and back in.

If this fixes the problem, then your other account is corrupt. Since deleting the Safari plist file didn't help, bringing you to this step, the chances of you finding what it is that needs to be fixed are pretty slim. Move your files to the new account. (Users/New Account Name/Documents) When you're sure everything is ok after several days or a few weeks, go back to System Preferences and delete the old account.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.