Lost original iPhone sim card now it won’t work as an iPod

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jaw04005, Oct 22, 2009.

1. macrumors 601

jaw04005

Long story short, back this summer my 3GS was having problems so I had to use my original iPhone for a few weeks while Apple repaired it. In the process, Apple had me swap my original sim card with my new 3GS one. I discarded the old sim card thinking I wouldn’t need it again.

The original iPhone has worked fine ever since as an iPod touch. Today, I decided to give the original iPhone to my younger cousin — so naturally I plugged it into iTunes and performed a restore.

Now, the phone keeps asking for a sim card (which I obviously don’t have).

What are my options? I didn’t really want to bother with jail-breaking or unlocking, but I don’t know what else to do.

It’s a bit ridiculous that I was supposed to know to keep the sim card. The AppleCare Rep. never mentioned that. I assumed the phone would function perfectly fine as an iPod without it.

2. macrumors 604

jmann

You can either put your sim card or any active sim card to activate it and then just take the card back out, and it will continue working, and won't affect your account at all. Or you can jailbreak it, and make sure to check the "Activate" box.