Lost Password on Macbook Pro Can I get past?

Discussion in 'OS X' started by B.King, Jul 30, 2008.

1. macrumors member

B.King

I have Macbook Pro running MAC OS X. I can boot the computer and use it but every time I try to download a new program or add a user or anything it asks me for the password, I don't have this password. Is there any way to by pass this without losing all my programs and information? I am desperate!!!! Someone PLLZZZZZZ HELP!

2. macrumors 6502a

I'm pretty sure you need the installation cd that installed the operating system.

3. macrumors member

it can be done without the disc. hold down command-s while booting to boot to single use mode, mount the drive by typing mount -uw / (hit return) and then follow this

Type this:
    launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.DirectoryServices.plist
    Press Return
    Type this, then press Return: ls /Users
    Look at the listing and note the short name (username) of the affected user account.
    Type this:

dscl . -delete /Users/username AuthenticationAuthority

Note: Replace "username" with the affected user account's short name you noted above.
    Press Return
    Type this, followed by Return: passwd username

Note: Replace "username" with the affected user account's short name you noted above.
    At the "New password:" prompt, type the user's password, then Return. Note: It is recommended that the original user's password be used to match the keychain password.
    At the "Retype new password" prompt, type the same password, followed by Return.
    Type this, followed by Return: reboot

4. thread starter macrumors member

B.King

If I mess this process up what can happen? What can I do if I mess it up? Will the startup disc correct it? I appreciate your help!!!!:eek:

5. macrumors P6

MacDawg

If you have the disk, you would be better off using it
    Using the terminal can be tricky

Is there a reason you don't have the admin password?

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

6. thread starter macrumors member

B.King

It says nothing to load and I typed it exactly as you said... is something missing?

7. thread starter macrumors member

B.King

bought it off craigslist :(

8. macrumors 603

HLdan

I am assuming since you haven't answered the question that's been asked twice about the install disc that you haven't got the install disc?

9. thread starter macrumors member

B.King

ya no i don't, sry

10. macrumors 603

HLdan

Well if all is lost you can buy a copy a Leopard. You will be able to get to the install screen to change the password. You are going to need a copy anyway at some point for OS reinstalls and for like right now when you don't have the password. Since you bought it off craigslist I would recommend that you buy a copy of Leopard anyway so you can erase the drive and start fresh.

11. thread starter macrumors member

B.King

Do you know the cost of Leopard?

12. macrumors 603

HLdan

The price is $129.00 U.S. You can buy it on Apple's website, their retail store or several other Apple resellers that may sell it $10-20 cheaper. You can get it on Ebay for maybe even less but be careful about Ebay, it might be either a used or burned disc. Make sure it's a genuine unopened box.

Also don't buy Leopard Restore discs from Ebay, they generally work only with a specific model Mac. Example, MacBook Pro 2007 and 2008 don't use the same restore disc.

13. macrumors P6

MacDawg

Amazon

And I agree, just buy Leopard

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

14. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Another way
    Really just mount and remove a single file.

15. thread starter macrumors member

B.King

I tried it, I think its working. Its on a blue screen thinking right now, occasionally the courser shows and a spinning colored circle. about 8min have passed. I will give an update when it is done. :confused:

It seems to be looping, is this normal? How long should I expect to wait for this process.

16. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The one I gave should show up the "Welcome to Macintosh" intro which allows you to set the passwords again just like a first boot.

Shouldn't loop, unless something else is wrong.

17. thread starter macrumors member

B.King

any way to get it to stop looping. did the control C thing again and the last few lines say

Singleuser boot -- fsck not done
    Root device is mounted read-only

If you want to make modifications ti files:
    /sbin/fsck -fy
    /sbin/mount -uw /

If you wish ti boot the system, but stay in single user mode:
    sh /etc/rc
    localhost:/ root#

:(

18. macrumors 603

HLdan

I noticed your post began 2 days ago. Is it really worth saving a few bucks and trying to enter Terminal commands and getting confused when you could easily jump in the car and run over to Best Buy, Fry's or any Apple retailer and just buy a copy of Leopard and be done with it?

19. thread starter macrumors member

B.King

I am broke till the 5th and I figure might as well try. I have learned a lot by trying. ABL (Always Be Learning) I am new to mac so I gotta be a sponge and soak up the info.

20. macrumors 68040

tdhurst

riiight...

Do you actually OWN this MBP?

21. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

22. macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Innocent until proven guilty, boy scout.

What works for me is:

Command+S

wait for prompt
    type "passwd root"
    then enter a password

Then it'll ask you to retype it, say the password has been changed, and you're done!

23. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Call Apple, buy a set of Restore DVDs -- should be somewhere around 19.95 to 24.95 -- unless they get picky about the warranty or a shifty caller. :)

24. thread starter macrumors member

B.King

25. thread starter macrumors member

B.King

At this point I am just gonna go pick up leopard... On the 5th. Thanks for all your help every1